“Serenity in Vietnam”

Ranked #79 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
sarasota fl
“Serenity in Vietnam”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Ten days filled with sightseeing, shopping, cooking school and adventure, yet I would call our trip to Vietnam the most peaceful one I have ever taken. Perhaps our nighttime arrival which allowed us to go directly to the Hanoi Sofitel to recuperate from the nearly 30 hour flight contributed to the peace. Although certainly our energizing morning massage and delicious breakfast buffet at the hotel coupled with the extreme professionalism of the V-xplore staff and our guide, Alex, added serenity to the entire tour.
Although far from peaceful, one of the most important lessons we learned was the proper way to cross the motor bike filled streets in Hanoi. The streets are a sea of motor bikers and pedestrians do not have the right of way; however, as long as you commit to crossing once you find that little break in the traffic, the motor bikes will swerve around you and you will be safely across the street. Do not stop or hesitate or the motor bike drivers get confused as to what we will do next. They are use to weaving in and out of people and do a great job of avoiding you.
We visited Ho Chi Minh mausoleum complex which includes the Presidential Palace, the One Pillar Pagoda and the Temple of Literature. We also took in the unique Water Puppet Show and took advantage of as many rickshaw rides as possible-much fun.
The meals at the Sofitel were mostly buffet and spectacular! I loved the coffee--very strong and tasty with cream.
From Hanoi we were driven to Halong Bay (one of the most beautiful places in Vietnam). We were transferred to a Luxury Indochina Sails Junk. The beautiful wood junk had large windows allowing us to continually view the thousands of enormous limestone peaks. It is truly one of the natural wonders of Vietnam and well worth the trip. We visited fishing villages where families live on house boats and sell fish and also sell pearls to the visitors. The serenity of the area is unmatched.
Next on our journey was Hoi An. We flew from Hanoi to Danang and then took a short bus trip to Hoi An--a shopper's paradise! We were away from the extreme hustle bustle of Hanoi and surrounded by Shops!!! Look for a tailor and enjoy the reasonable prices and one day service for making clothes. We also squeezed in a cooking class at the Red River Cooking School. It gave us a chance to see where the locals shop.(Take note that there are no flies in the market and see how fresh the fish and meat are.) The cooking school was down river, allowing us to see different cultures in every city. The school was fun and we made very tasty food. I highly recommend it. We stayed at Hoian Riverside Resort , a charming Asian style bungalow where we could view hundreds of ducks being issued back to their home from the river after they had spent time eating the fallen rice from the rice fields. Once again the breakfast and rooms were the very best.
Then off to Hue which is a lovely, progressive city. We took a boat ride on the Perfume River to Thien Mu Pagoda. Lunch was at one of the vegetarian restaurants and offered a unique experience for me. The food was so tasty that meat and fish were not missed. We stayed at Imperial Hue--another fine hotel. Be sure to go to the roof top for a drink and take in the wonderful view of the city.
Our final stop was Ho Chi Minh City. This city is much more Americanized and reminds me of New York City. We saw the beautiful French architecture as we roamed thru the city and took a full day trip to the Cai Be floating market. We sailed among the local boats full of fruits and vegetables. Our first stop was at an ancient Mandarin house from the 19th century where we watched locals pop rice and make rice paper. A delicious lunch was served at Le Longanier, a superb Indochina Villa located in a lush tropical plantation by the river. It is my understanding that you can only dine here if you take the cruise. It was well worth the trip and the opportunity to once again see how the people live on the river. Our hotel was Caravelle which was among the top hotels in Ho Chi Minh. Service and meals once again superb.
The highlight of the trip was the people. They were so gracious, serene and appreciative, which makes this trip so memorable. I hope I can keep a bit of the calm as I move ahead. I must say that Alex and V-Explore made our trip go smoothly and effortlessly. Alex handled every detail (including reversing the itinerary on a rainy day). He never let us know the trouble it was to change hotels, restaurants and sightseeing on a moment's notice. I certainly recommend the tour rather than trying to do it on your own. You have a hassle free trip and you are free to concentrate on the beauty of the country and the people.

2 Thank srqtraveler1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Stayed 2 nights on the executive floor of this hotel (really nice upgrade). The hotel itself seems idea for the business set. It has the best views in Hanoi (especially from the roof top lounge). Facilities were nice, bed was comfortable, room was huge (really too much for 2 travellers as we had an extra attached room). Really nice Hermes amenities with great service. It's not a really cozy hotel, and seems it'd be ideal for meetings and such.

I've heard others complain that it's far away from everything. That seems ridiculous to me, as Hanoi really isn't that big. This hotel overlooks Westlake and is really nice in the evening. Sure it's not near the old quarter, but the old quarter is overrated, really overrated, especially if you've been to markets in Thailand or Malaysia. The nice thing about Hanoi as it tends to be laid back, even more so if you get away from the old quarter. The Plaza is also close to a row of trendy restaurants which includes Restaurant Bobby Chinn (that guy from the food network), which had great great food.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank fathead77
Washington DC
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The rooms here were very nice, each with a huge corner window that looks out above the Red River and the nearby lake in Hanoi. The furnishings were quite nice and the marble bathroom was very large. You should ask for a room on a higher level floor (above 13) to get the truely spectacular views of Hanoi from your room. The fitness center was excellent for a hotel gym. I would shy away from the hotel spa for anything other than a massage. The manicures and facials are a waste of money. For a great cheap massage go across the street from the hotel for a $10/2 hour massage. Go across the street diagonally to the left from the hotel entrance. The massage shop has a long horizontal green sign.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slimjim043
Newport, South Wales
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Just the sort of hotel you need to escape from the frenzied motor cyclists of Hanoi. Good rooms, helpful staff, but a bit far from the city centre (a good 30 mins walk). Restaurants, particularly the Chinese, disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Asia
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Hotelier myself since more of two decades now, I always try to be fair in my judgement however i must say the true and how I was so disappointed by the Management of this property especially by the General Manager and the Director of Rooms.

During my first sta therey, it took more of 50 minutes to change the batteries of the safety deposit box in my room with a total of 6 persons including the Director of Security and the Director of Engineering (certainly they wanted to provide me a kind of VIP treatment and welcome!!!!).
My room was at the Executive Floor and it is quite obvious to confirm that the room was not inspected by Housekeeping prior to my arrival.

During my second stay, at my arrival at the hotel, I forgot and left in the taxi from the airport my Iphone, quite new expensive toy in Viet Nam at this time, realizing just few minutes after my arrival my stupid mistake, I asked to the Executive Floor to contact their Security department and to report it.
The executive Floor team completely lost and after repeating many times I forgot the precious toy in the taxi, the finally called Security.
I called several times my number but for sure nobody pick up my call.
Finally after 30 minutes, the Director of Rooms came to ask me some additional questions (between us totally useless as: why I left my phone in the taxi.?...)
Starting to lose my patience after one hour spend for nothing, I asked them if it will be possible thru their CCTV system to check my arrival, to get the taxi registration and to contact the taxi company.
No one from the Management got or proposed me this possibility, quite a shame for some professionals who are pretending working in hospitality and services industry.

After 20 minutes, the General Manager (French national) came to meet me in the lobby, trying to minimize the problem, he escorted to me to their control room of the hotel where is located all the system of security of the hotel.
Unfortunately after more of 45 minutes of waiting and talking for nothing, the General Manager confirm me that they have a technical problem with the camera requested and they cannot read the registration of the car (problem of zooming as per he said)....

In total I spent more of 2 hours for nothing, trying to explain my disappointment to the General Manager, he replied to me in a very rude way a kind of it is not my problem/business...

These last words was certainly the cherry on the top of the cake for the day, I decided to leave this place in a second...

Thank you very much Mr the General Manager for your great help, for sure you impressed me....
in the poorest way you can imagine...

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank Chrisinasia
UK
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Lovely hotel with indoor pool. Several places to eat in the hotel- good but pricey. However location is such that you do need to eat in the hotel. Summit bar has great views across Hanoi.
The walk to the old city is about 30 minutes.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spendingpension
saint pierre
Reviewed 9 March 2009

This is a very good hotel, the rooms are not very large but the bathroom is just perfect. I advice you to take the rooms situated on the upper floors,. The staff is very polite and helpfull and the food just amazing, will return for sure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple