“A big five stars for all the staff”
Review of Melia Hanoi

Melia Hanoi
Ranked #67 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Perth, Australia
“A big five stars for all the staff”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We were collected from the Hanoi Airport by our Guide Quang it took about and hour to get to the hotel because of the traffic how crazy is it!!. My first impression was what have we come to the pollution was like thick mist. But when we woke to be picked up by Quang the day changed very quickly. His expert knowlegde and humour made our outing very interesting. He took us to some amazing places through out the city. Even crossing the roads he would say be like sticky rice and away we would go with the traffic going around you. Thank you Quang for all your wonderful stories.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julz950938

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I stayed here on business. I had an upgraded room on one of the upper floors. The room was large. Definitely comfortable for a couple. Would have been tough to squeeze two double beds.
Bathroom is small. Big enough for one, but hard for two people to use at same time.
Had same issue with slow drainage and no shower enclosure so water goes everywhere.
Carpet is worn thin in some places. However, on the whole, the hotel is very nice and comfortable. Not a lot of character; but when you are far from home, it's nice to be able to come back to a comfortable hotel with modern amenities.
I enjoyed the breakfast buffet (included in upgraded rooms) which has mix of Western and Asian breakfast styles. Their fruit selection is wonderful! Also, coffee is surprisingly good.
Everyone was very gracious, service polite. English is adequate for basic needs (eg booking a tour, restaurant reservations, recommendations for activities) but don't get too complicated. I always find it funny to see travelers making incredibly detailed requests, like,"Ok, we would like to go on a half day tour of the French quarter, but then have a cab bring us to get lunch near a place with a massage place that costs under $20 but then we want to visit the opera house and shop for silks. Oh, before all that we need to drop off a FedEx package to New York...Bu the way, where can we get authentic street food that won't make us sick?" Not cool. The concierge is NOT your personal assistant. Nor can she control the traffic noise from the city, or the construction across the street. But help you find a drug store? Yes.
Gym is small but has towels and headphones and water, treadmills, bikes, and usual equipment and satellite TV.
Outdoor pool is chilly and poorly lit. However has an outdoor hot tub.
Location is ok - next to the Hoa lo prison, walking distance to Hoan Kiem lake.

Room Tip: 16th floor or higher diminishes most of street noise Maybe ask for room away from construction
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The standard of hotel on our tour was good and this was above average. Room on the 19th floor was comfortable with all the amenities you could want. We only ate breakfast but this was very good and there are lots of restaurants close-by

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This is a nice hotel situated in Ly Thuong Kiet street road where most of the offices are. It's in close proximity to Hoan Kiem Lake, Hang Gai (souvenir market), Old Quarter and couple of other famous and happening places of Hanoi. When there last month, since it was raining most of the time so couldn't get good view of the city sky line (my bad luck). Got a room on 12th floor. Floors are quite and calm, quite contrary to the bustling reception lobby. During my 1 week stay, I could see hordes n hordes of people especially in the evening, I guess some event or the other was happening. Coming to the rooms, they are spacious, nicely done with basic amenities which most of the 4 n 5-star hotels offers. Restaurant's nice serving some good food, though bit expensive.Overall my stay was good, enjoyed it. However had a bad experience, upon checking-in I was made aware of all the facilities etc and was told that breakfast's included in room (being business traveler). First 3-days went fine, 4th day banquet manager asked me my room, which is customary. after I finished my breakfast I was asked to sign breakfast buffet bill. After inquiring I got to know that breakfast is not included!!!. The person who did the check-in gave me wrong information which was quite amusing and annoying. I am sure this would have been one off the incidents. Nonetheless it's a good hotel tad expensive.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms on 12th floor and above with city view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My son and I stayed there during spring break for 5 nights. This is one of our finer hotels. The staff was so courteous and helpful. The rooms were of good size and equipped with a mini bar, in-room-safe, coffee maker, flat screen tv, slippers...all the amentities of a 5 star. It was one of the more expensive hotels but this was our first visit to vietnam we and didn't want to feel unsafe. Good security there also. Location, what can I say? It is located within a block of the Hoa Lo Prison. (Hanoi Hilton) Which is now a museum and a must see. The opera house is a short walk as is the Hoam Kiem Lake. If you have never been to Vietnam the water puppet theater is a short pedicab away. Worth seeing once anyway. We saw another one a 3 months later in Ho Chi Minh City and it was the exact same performance. Hanoi is a fun city to walk around in. The pool was kind of small but nice. The hotel seems to cater more to the business traveler than tourist. Even for the extra dollars, I'd still stay there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but the higher rooms offer a view.
Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2012 via mobile

A very comfortable hotel, well located. The clientele is a mixture of corporate business and tour groups, though the prime minister of Ukraine was in residence while we were there. We only had breakfast in the hotel but there was a very good selection and service was immaculate. Recommended.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne B
La Courneuve, France
Reviewed 29 November 2012

This hotel is quite close to the Old Quarter and you actually can see the hotel standing from anywhere in the city center. I stayed on the 20th floor.

The first impression about this hotel from me is good. The manager and the staff were friendly to us even though we late checked in. The food and drinks in the lounge were free. I think they have similar foods to serve in most 5-star hotels: sushi, tiny cakes, small sandwiches, little sausage and beans, juices....Mostly Western style.

The room service is great. I happened to need my clothes washed to go out at night the first day we arrived. Its 6pm already so I had to ask for express laundry service. They gave my clothes back 1 and half an hour later, cleaned, ironed and smell nice and charged regular price. Still expensive though.

And I don't know why there are lots of big events were held in this hotel. it was so crowded and noisy in the Hall.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo