“The Honest Truth”

Ranked #99 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Bonao, Dominican Republic
“The Honest Truth”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

During my stay at the Pullman hotel I can honestly say the environment was very nice but the temperature of the hotel was hot and humid. I do not understand how a hotel can operate with a temperature in the hall way of 25 to 27 that is absolutely horrible. I understand the need to cut back on a things but the services of a hotel can either make or break a hotel. The meals and services in the hotel were very good and the staff was very professional but again the temperature of the room must be comfortable and during my stay it was far from that. I would hope the GM would take the time and honestly review this issue because this issue is the only reason why I cannot give a better rating for my stay. In conclusion if your are looking for a nice hotel with a warm staff you can find it hear for sure but rating of warm could change to hot if the air conditioning is not fixed. Thank you for everything and I will need to think twice before I rebook.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mr. Troy J,

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure they will be delighted to read your positive remarks, and your feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we are eager to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Concerning the temperature in the corridors and lift landing, please allow me to explain and express some apologies. As part of our Planet 21 efforts towards the environment we have chosen as a small contribution, to not have our guests corridors cooled by the air-conditioning system. The time spent between the cooled guests rooms and boarding the elevator is usually less than 2 minutes, and as a token for their patience and contribution to our CSR program, we have decided to offer some free drinks in the rooms mini bar.

We hope that this small gesture will help make the planet a better place. As for your room temperature, the issue has been raised to our Engineering team as it was set on heating and not cooling.
Our Housekeeping department has also been briefed to check the setting twice a day in case a wrong code was pushed in.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we hope your next visit will be more pleasant than the previous one and we wish you safe travels.

Pieter De Weerd
Pullman Hanoi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Booked for 7 nights online, and arrived today! Do I normally write a review on the first day of a hotel stay? No, but I am so annoyed here it is.
I chose this hotel for a stay of 7 nights because it had a pool and I have been using the lobby lounge during the last 6 months that ive been in hanoi and always enjoyed it. I was shocked when I saw the rooms, they are old and in desperate neec of modernising, they have the tiniest tv for a room this size and the bathrooms are dreadful, with a shower over a bath! How old fashioned is that! I've seen much better rooms in small 3 star hotels for a fraction of the price. Anyway, as I said I wanted a hotel with a pool so went to have a look, the pool is miniscule and the lounge chairs have no cushions on them. Staff on level 2 dont even look at you let alone speak.

Went back to the reception and told them id like to check out tomorrow and they told me they will charge me for the entire 7 nights as its an online booking. I am disgusted and needless to say after this experience i will never again book a room at an Accor Hotel. ll

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Robert H
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Mr. Robert H,

Thank you very much for your review toward Pullman Hanoi during your stay with us.
We are sorry to read that you did not like our Standard Room facilities, our apologies for this please.

It was a pleasure to be able to talk to you during your stay and that we could find a suitable solution to have you hopefully enjoying further the Pullman Hanoi.

You expressed your disappointment about your room which was a Standard room. At Pullman Hanoi, the Standard room embodies a more colonial essence appreciated by many of our Asian visitors, as they like to enjoy a more traditional bathtub. Our other room categories, Deluxe, Executive & Executive Suite are more modern and cosmopolitan. Besides, they are equipped with a rain shower as well as the latest Pullman Bed especially designed by the brand for an ultimate comfort and night sleep.

Please do not hesitate to order an upgrade, at reservation or at check in, to a Deluxe or Executive room on your next visit for an additional fee.

You reserved online and choose to enjoy our best rate offer, please kindly understand that just as airlines those offers come with non-refundable terms & conditions that our Front Office staff need to follow strictly. Nevertheless our staff should have offered you an upgrade supplement alternative.

With regards to our colleagues at the pool, when there is rain or a storm coming to the city they need for security reason to remove the cushions and umbrellas, but we have reminded them to put them back as soon as the treat is over. Our second floor pool has a size of 150 square meters, similar to many other international hotels in the city, but one of the few with city view and unfortunately we cannot make it larger.

In Vietnam it is still a challenge to find enough good bilingual professional staff able to handle swiftly guests issues , please kindly understand that unfortunately some communication lags happen. When confronted to guests having dedicated issues some staff, due to language barrier do not have the proper reaction, therefore our Human Resouuces policy to have this improved is always one of our top priority.

We are pleased to know that now you decided to stay with us, then we hope that you don’t have to face with such difficulties any more.

Mr. Robert H, again thank you very much for taking time to write about us. We hope that the rest of your stay will be more pleasant and you will have chance to explore the beautiful & charming Hanoi.

With very best regards,

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed only one night and got in very late and left very early. So I didn't get to see/do much. What I did see, I really liked. The hotel is in the center of Hanoi. The lobby, restaurant, pool, and gym are all very nice. I didn't get to use the last two, but I did inspect for future visits. The rooms are huge and the service was good. Since I was there such a short time, that is about all I can say. Oh, and the room was cheap compared to a lot of the other hotels in Hanoi.
The only issue I had is that the room I was in was very old. They need to upgrade the rooms. The restaurant and lobby are much more modern than the rooms. Maybe they have been redone and the rooms not?
Still a good stay and I will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear jchanlifat,

Thank you for your review toward Pullman Hanoi on the site. We are delighted to hear that you have had nice experience while staying with us.

We are glad to know that you like our spacious room, the lobby, the restaurant and the location.

With regards to the room's interior design, we will thoroughly look into it and consider in upgrading the facilities.

jchanlifat, thank you again for your comments and we wish to welcome back upon your next travel to the city.

With very best regards from Hanoi.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Good location with professional staffs. Worth to stay either for business purpose or leisure purpose. Executive is good but it would be better if it could provide Heineken also. It is a bit pity that there is nil Heineken there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Pullmanhotels.com

1 Thank Kanokpong
Dear Kanokpong,

Thank you very much for your recent review to Pullman Hanoi on tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you have a good impression to our professional staff & our location, especially when you mentioned that our hotel is a place for either business or leisure purpose.

We seriously took note on your comment on the Executive Lounge services and we will have a deep insight on how to continuously upgrade the quality of service as well as the Food & Beberage offering there.

Thank you for choosing us as your venue while visiting Hanoi and allow us to have another chance to welcome you back.

Until occassion permits.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

These guys have a note in the room asking to let people know about their hotel on trip advisor...I have no idea why. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying in, for the following reasons.
1. Bag lost by concierge, it's our fault for not checking even though we were ushered straight into the hotel lobby.
2. Fridge and air con didn't work. Janitor was sent up to fix, spoke no English and grunted and gestured it was fine (it wasn't).
3. Pool staff unfriendly and there were no clean towels on the sun lounges. After our swim we were told we had to hand the towels back in there and couldn't take them to our room so it was a long and uncomfortable trip up to our room in the lift in our swimmers.
4. Toilet overflowed and we were moved to executive suite. It was exactly the same as our previous room with the addition of an executive lounge. When we went to visit said lounge we were turned away (rather embarrassingly as it was full of people at the time). There is even a note above our bar fridge saying please feel free to visit the lounge if you require anything.
Don't bother wasting your money, DO NOT STAY HERE! This is not a 5 star hotel, and I can't believe they can call them selves one. Trust me, this is a no go .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dan R
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Dan R,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Hanoi. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Pullman we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

The note in the room and also on our own Accorhotel.com reservation website asking to write a feedback on Tripadvisor is part of our reviewing system. It is a good tool to monitor where we must improve, and we therefore must accept that some of them might be harsh to read.

The doorman team has been reminded to be more careful with luggage as he must be aware that some of our guests are tired as they travelled a long way, and he must take charge of their luggage issues and make sure all items are accounted for.

As for the Air-Conditioning issue, we are very sorry to hear that it was not working as well as you could expect in such a hotel. As in many hotels in Hanoi, some of our technicians unfortunately do not speak proper English and we have recommended them to ask the assistance of another staff member more fluent in English when helping guests so there is no misunderstanding.

I have raised your comment to the pool team regarding their behavior and trust they will be friendlier in the future. I am convinced it is again more a English language matter, and based on your comments we have implemented a new procedure so that now guests can go back to their room with the pool towels.

Following the toilet issue, my colleagues of the front desk wanted to do a nice gesture and upgrade you to a Suite room to provide you with more facilities and a larger space to stay. Since it was a complimentary upgrade, they got confused as the Lounge access is reserved for guests booking Excecutive Rooms.

I do agree this is a fairly embarrassing situation and following your feedback, we have decided that all guests staying in an Executive Room being from now on will be entitled to the lounge benefit, regardless if it is an upgrade or not, hoping to avoid future disappointment.

Once again we are sorry that we could not deliver a service up to your expectations and would like to thank you for your comments which have helped us to emphasize points to work on and take the necessary actions to improve our guests stay.

We trust that you can experience some changes on the above mentioned issues should you give us another opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

We hope your next visit will be more pleasant than the previous one, we wish you safe travels.

Thank you very much and with best regards from Hanoi.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This was our last stop on our 2 week honeymoon in Vietnam and it couldn't have possibly ended more terribly!
We have never been more disappointed!
It is marginally better today since day one, so I guess the Pullman Hanoi is lucky that we wrote this on day 4 and not day 1, and if we had not paid for our accommodation prior to arrival we would have left! I'm sure that if we hadn't paid prior to our arrival we would have been treated a lot better, but they already have our money!

1. We arrived by a transfer and the concierge were there straight away, which was lovely, they wouldn't let us near the car or our bags but then blamed us when there was a bag missing and said we should have checked the car and it wasn't their fault, this was a minimal issue and they in turn were very apologetic and for the next 3 days were very attentive to us. In the end, the concierge were this hotels saving grace!!!!!

2. Housekeeping laughed at my request of tweezers or where I could buy them! We showed them in our Vietnamese phrase book to make sure we were talking about the same item and she laughed again! We didn't say anything as it wasn't an issue, but it did upset me!

3. The 'engineer' was sent up to our room as the fridge wasn't working. We'd had stuff in there for over 2 hours and they were still hot. He arrived, said it was fine and stormed out! Again, we left the issue and hoped it would get better.

4. On the first use of the toilet in our room it overflowed spilling poo! We know this wasn't our fault as we hadn't used the toilet prior to this! By this stage we'd had enough!
We had only been in the hotel about 3 hours! I was in tears as this was our 'splurge' hotel on our honeymoon as it being a 5 star hotel!

We went to reception, they apologized and said they'd upgrade our room and give us some complimentary fruit. They upgraded us to the executive room. The room was exactly the same but we have an executive lounge to visit anytime and we were grateful not to have poo on the bathroom floor.

Then there was an issue with the air conditioning. Again, they sent the 'engineer' and he said maybe the filter was dirty and hopefully it will be fixed, 2 days later the air con is set on 5 degrees (by the engineer) and it's still 25 degrees in the room. At this point we can't even be bothered to complain.

Finally, on our last night, we thought we'd visit this executive lounge that we were told we could visit at any point if we needed anything, to be rejected upon arrival, citing our room was not privy to the use of the 'executive lounge'. I'm guessing the note in our room directing us to the lounge should be ignored! By this point we are so done with this hotel, there is no point in even telling them.

There were 3 positive things at the Pullman, so I must mention them as it wasn't all negative!
- the rooms are a good size and are clean
- the concierge were attentive and helpful
- the bar staff were friendly

But in all honesty, we can't wait to check out and we would never ever stay at a Pullman hotel again, we would never recommend anyone to stay at this Pullman hotel! This hotel has absolutely ruined the final few days of our honeymoon and it has soured our last few days in Vietnam!

I have stayed in so many hotels for both business & pleasure and many in the Accor group of hotels, but have never had an experience like this! Generally would notch it up to a bad experience, but there was just too many issues to not say something this time and warn those thinking about staying here.

So as per your request to let everyone know about our stay on Trip Advisor, here it is! If you are coming here for enjoyment, to celebrate or for any other reason than business! don't waste your money! DONT EVER STAY HERE!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MrsRendogg
Dear MrsRendogg,

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed comments toward Pullman Hanoi subsequent to your stay with us.

Our sincere apologies that our quality of service did not meet your expectation, especially that was on your special occassion of honeymoon.

Concierge: We are glad that our Concierge has given a good impression to you. Meanwhile we have had a reminder to them that more attentive to details should be reinforced.

Housekeeping: We are so sorry that our Housekeeping did not answer correctly your request. Please kindly understand that this is only a matter of their limited professional English. Taking the point, we are going to have English training in a short distance future.

Engineering: We apology that the fridge & air conditioning system did not work well as you expected in such our hotel. We have an internal meeting with the team and they were reminded to be more attentive to guests' need and request. As always, they should have clearly explained the situation and the solution in order to keep guests assured that the incident was properly fixed.

Bathroom: Our sincere & deepest apologies for the issue. Our Housekeeping & Engineering were seriously reminded on the case to prevent such incident from happening in the future.

With regards to the Upgrade, I do agree this is fairly embarrassing situation. Following your feedback, we have decided that all guests staying in Executive rooms from now on will be entitle to fully enjoy Executive Lounge's benefits, regardless if it is an upgrade or not.

MrsRendogg, thank you very much anyway for your positive notes on our rooms, concierge and bar staff.

Again, we are so sorry for all the happening that you have clashed. We believe that you can experience the changes on above-mentioned issues should you give another chance to welcome you back.

Thank you very much for taking time to let us know your throught on Pullman Hanoi and until occassion permits.

Yours sincerely,

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

As we were tourists in Hanoi, I thought I might regret my choice of hotel, away from the French Quarter, but we found the relative quiet of the area, after a day's sightseeing, to be very welcome. The best points of this hotel? Two very helpful concierges at the front entrance, a comfortable bed, good bathroom and the room service menu was varied, well-prepared, reasonably priced and served promptly. The breakfast buffet is unimaginative but copious, but the thing we repeatedly had problems with was getting black tea bags for our morning cuppa! On arrival we found only one English tea bag, so I phoned up for more, thinking it must have been a housekeeping error. English tea bags arrived promptly, plus the usual number of all the other flavours; the next day same thing - only one English tea bag, but by now we had lots of bags of flavoured tea. It's a small thing to complain about, but it didn't seem to be accidental and I wonder why English tea is so precious?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarolJ436
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear CarolJ436,

Thank you for taking time to write about Pullman Hanoi on tripadvisor.

We are glad to know you have had enjoyable time in our hotel, considering your positive notes on the hotel's quiet surrounding area, the helpful concierges, the comfortable bed, the bathroom and the quick and well-prepared room services.

We also take note and appreciate your comment on the tea offering in rooms; and will discuss internally to make it more variant.

CarolJ436, again, thank you very much for choosing to stay at Pullman Hanoi and allow us to have another chance welcoming you back when occassion permits.

With very best regards from Hanoi.