“Disappointing F&B”
Review of Pullman Hanoi

Ranked #105 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For a 5-star hotel, the standard of F&B is really disappointing. There is only one restaurant. The menu is very limited. The bread served at dinner are always not fresh. Perhaps it was left over from the breakfast buffet. The meals are not appetizing and rather amateurish. The breakfast buffet is satisfactory.

The service provided by the restaurant staff is good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Mr. Pchang_mc,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Pullman Hanoi. I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations.

We have raised your comments to our Chefs, please trust that we are taking the appropriate measures to improve our Food and Beverage offer as you were not satisfied. We are currently working on a new menu with more choices and will pay extra attention to our bread.

At Pullman, we strive to constantly increase the value of our services, therefore your feedback really matters for us.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and this is our hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Pieter De Weerd,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Planning my visit to Hanoi, I was offered two hotels that were near to the office I would be visiting and after a little research on Trip Advisor, and liking the stylish room photos on their website, I booked the Pullman Hanoi.
What a great place it is too.
From the moment I was warmly welcomed out of my taxi, through very polite checking in, right through to being guided around my amazing room, it was simply a delight.
Business travel can be a bit of a solitary existance, so I booked an Executive room to give me access to the lounge, as it's really nice to have some other human contact during my day.
On checking in I was upgraded to a suite, as part of a 'special' offer, and what an amazing room it was too. If you are lucky enough to have the choice, upgrade! You won't regret it.
Everyone was welcoming and friendly and the hosts in the executive lounge were simply charming, quickly remembering my name and favourite tipple. I was even roped in to join in another guests birthday surprise!
The Pullman Hanoi is nicely located too, the local area is quiet and safe and just a short walk from the main tourist attractions and local businesses alike.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and superbly furnished.
The internet was swift and reliable and even held up FaceTime and Skype calls.
Restaurants and bars were well stocked and the food was well cooked and very nicely presented.
It is hard to find any fault with the Pullman Hanoi at all. Even a problematic shower head was fixed within 20 minutes and the repair guy also adjusted the sticky door too while his mate was fixing the shower.
Without doubt I would return to the Pullman Hanoi in an instant.
I simply can not recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: If you are able to push the boat out, upgrade to a suite. The rooms are fantastic!
1  Thank Travellin_Steve
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Mr. Travellin_Steve,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Pullman Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive such detailed and positive feedback.

Our teams were delighted to read your comment and really happy to hear about your satisfaction. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we are eager to constantly improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were advised it would be safe to leave our suitcases in our room while we went to Halong bay and stayed overnight on a Junk. On our return we found that someone had been through our cases and stolen my I pad and around $350 Singaporean dollars. I informed Christophe Le Brun he said he would find out from security and get back to me, which never happened. Therefore I thought I would post this as a warning to others.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Tim W
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Mr. Tim W.,

Thank you for taking the time to comment your stay at Pullman Hanoi and we hope that your trip back to Australia was safe. We am sorry to read about your negative experience.

When you and your travel colleagues went to Halong Bay, we agreed with the organizer of your trip to let you exceptionally keep the room you occupied free of charge for the one night you were away.
This would allow you to travel light into the long bus trip, the 24 hours you spend on the boat, make your site visits more easily and come back in a familiar environment without having to carry all your items.

As in all hotels guest have to secure their valuables properly, and we provide in all of our rooms electronic locks and safe deposit boxes.
Despite those basic precautions, you informed our Operations Manager that you left your suitcase unlocked during all your Halong visit, and after coming back from your overnight stay, you claimed you left a tablet and cash money that disappeared inside your bags.
You met our Operations Manager and he informed you we needed time to investigate, and we also were in direct contact with the organizer of your trip who inquired about this case and we are a bit surprised about your comments linked probably to miscommunication between parties.

The hotel has welcomed numerous repeat customers since the opening of the Pullman. We find numerous items in rooms, restaurants and public areas in the hotel. We believe we have a good reputation for safeguarding the guests belongings, we have great confidence in our staff but regret your loss.
Thank you again for your comment and we wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back during your next travel to Hanoi.

Pieter De Weerd,
General Manager - Pullman Hanoi

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Overall stay was very good. It was obvious to us that the staff at the Pullman are trying very hard to get things right. I really wanted people to be aware that the staff are helpful however we found that it was difficult to communicate effectively with many of them as their English was limited. I am fully aware we were in an Asian country but it was difficult getting suggestions of places to eat or places of interest. Using the internet worked best. Our room gave us executive lounge access, which we made full use of, for breakfast, afternoons and somewhere to meet friends we were travelling, with that was quiet. We were quiet surprised to find an American couple using the lounge some days all day to interview people for a private business venture, or meeting large groups of people to sell products. There was a meeting room attached which we saw them use just once. People were coming and going to meet appointment times, from early in the morning till late afternoon. I would suggest that people who want to use the lounge for this purpose should be encouraged to book another room or use the 2nd floor meeting rooms. They then would not impact on other guests who are not at all interested in their sales pitch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Ms. Lorraine164,

Thank you very much for your review toward Pullman Hanoi during your stay with us. We very much appreciate your comments, it is always a pleasure to receive feedbacks.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we are eager to continuously improve the quality of our services.

In Vietnam it is still a challenge to find good bilingual professional staff able to handle guests’ requests. We would like to express our sincerest apologies if you encountered difficulties during your stay. However, please trust that this is one of the top priority subjects of our Human Resources department.

You also mentioned the Executive Lounge. Please be assured that we take the well-being of our guests very carefully. We will share these comments with our team so that they would be more careful in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

We hope to see you soon at Pullman Hanoi and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Business made it necessary to extend my stay in Hanoi to several weeks. The hotel Pullman made it very pleasant. Extremely nice and professional staff, very friendly and very helpful. Hotel is very clean and nicely furnished. Nice and extensive breakfast buffet, good lunch and dinner menu in the restaurant. Note the 24 hour open and well equipped fitness center ideal for people busy during daytime. Nice outside pool on the 2nd floor. Good location in the city center. All together very good and pleasant Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Karl E

Dear Mr. Karl E,

Thank you for your recent review toward Pullman Hanoi on Tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to receive such a positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our teams and believe that it will serve as an encouragement for all of us.

Thank you very much again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon at Pullman Hanoi.

With best regards,

Pieter de Weerd

Reviewed 19 June 2014

During my stay at the Pullman hotel I can honestly say the environment was very nice but the temperature of the hotel was hot and humid. I do not understand how a hotel can operate with a temperature in the hall way of 25 to 27 that is absolutely horrible. I understand the need to cut back on a things but the services of a hotel can either make or break a hotel. The meals and services in the hotel were very good and the staff was very professional but again the temperature of the room must be comfortable and during my stay it was far from that. I would hope the GM would take the time and honestly review this issue because this issue is the only reason why I cannot give a better rating for my stay. In conclusion if your are looking for a nice hotel with a warm staff you can find it hear for sure but rating of warm could change to hot if the air conditioning is not fixed. Thank you for everything and I will need to think twice before I rebook.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Mr. Troy J,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Hanoi.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure they will be delighted to read your positive remarks, and your feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we are eager to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Concerning the temperature in the corridors and lift landing, please allow me to explain and express some apologies. As part of our Planet 21 efforts towards the environment we have chosen as a small contribution, to not have our guests corridors cooled by the air-conditioning system. The time spent between the cooled guests rooms and boarding the elevator is usually less than 2 minutes, and as a token for their patience and contribution to our CSR program, we have decided to offer some free drinks in the rooms mini bar.

We hope that this small gesture will help make the planet a better place. As for your room temperature, the issue has been raised to our Engineering team as it was set on heating and not cooling.
Our Housekeeping department has also been briefed to check the setting twice a day in case a wrong code was pushed in.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we hope your next visit will be more pleasant than the previous one and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked for 7 nights online, and arrived today! Do I normally write a review on the first day of a hotel stay? No, but I am so annoyed here it is.
I chose this hotel for a stay of 7 nights because it had a pool and I have been using the lobby lounge during the last 6 months that ive been in hanoi and always enjoyed it. I was shocked when I saw the rooms, they are old and in desperate neec of modernising, they have the tiniest tv for a room this size and the bathrooms are dreadful, with a shower over a bath! How old fashioned is that! I've seen much better rooms in small 3 star hotels for a fraction of the price. Anyway, as I said I wanted a hotel with a pool so went to have a look, the pool is miniscule and the lounge chairs have no cushions on them. Staff on level 2 dont even look at you let alone speak.

Went back to the reception and told them id like to check out tomorrow and they told me they will charge me for the entire 7 nights as its an online booking. I am disgusted and needless to say after this experience i will never again book a room at an Accor Hotel. ll

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Robert H
Pullman-Hanoi, General Manager at Pullman Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Mr. Robert H,

We are sorry to read that you did not like our Standard Room facilities, our apologies for this please.

It was a pleasure to be able to talk to you during your stay and that we could find a suitable solution to have you hopefully enjoying further the Pullman Hanoi.

You expressed your disappointment about your room which was a Standard room. At Pullman Hanoi, the Standard room embodies a more colonial essence appreciated by many of our Asian visitors, as they like to enjoy a more traditional bathtub. Our other room categories, Deluxe, Executive & Executive Suite are more modern and cosmopolitan. Besides, they are equipped with a rain shower as well as the latest Pullman Bed especially designed by the brand for an ultimate comfort and night sleep.

Please do not hesitate to order an upgrade, at reservation or at check in, to a Deluxe or Executive room on your next visit for an additional fee.

You reserved online and choose to enjoy our best rate offer, please kindly understand that just as airlines those offers come with non-refundable terms & conditions that our Front Office staff need to follow strictly. Nevertheless our staff should have offered you an upgrade supplement alternative.

With regards to our colleagues at the pool, when there is rain or a storm coming to the city they need for security reason to remove the cushions and umbrellas, but we have reminded them to put them back as soon as the treat is over. Our second floor pool has a size of 150 square meters, similar to many other international hotels in the city, but one of the few with city view and unfortunately we cannot make it larger.

In Vietnam it is still a challenge to find enough good bilingual professional staff able to handle swiftly guests issues , please kindly understand that unfortunately some communication lags happen. When confronted to guests having dedicated issues some staff, due to language barrier do not have the proper reaction, therefore our Human Resouuces policy to have this improved is always one of our top priority.

We are pleased to know that now you decided to stay with us, then we hope that you don’t have to face with such difficulties any more.

Mr. Robert H, again thank you very much for taking time to write about us. We hope that the rest of your stay will be more pleasant and you will have chance to explore the beautiful & charming Hanoi.

With very best regards,