“Adequate hotel in Old Quarter”
Review of Hoa Binh Hotel

Hoa Binh Hotel
Ranked #328 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
California
“Adequate hotel in Old Quarter”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Adequate hotel, nothing fancy -- great massage parloron the second floor.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
UK
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was my second time to stay at the Hoa Binh hotel. My previous visit was for one night only - this time I stayed a full week.

My first night I was put into a room with a broken shower nozzle and which there was no wifi signal. I asked to change rooms the next morning.

The next room had a wifi signal although it was very weak, and the shower worked -- however I fail to see the point of a shower curtain which does not hang all the way down into the tub. Everytime I showered water got everywhere, which is one of my pet hates.

I liked:
* The hotel itself is just lovely - it is obviously and old building (maybe from French colonial days) and compared to the typical soulless business hotels, it's a pleasure to walk around in and explore and enjoy the old wood furniture and maze like corridors.
* The beds are big and comfortable. The rooms are enormous.
* My room has a fridge. The mini bar offers beer at $1 a bottle, which I thought was very cheap.
* Fresh fruit was put in the room periodically. I got a mango one day - yum!
* Wireless in the lobby is rock solid. As someone else said, Facebook is blocked but I used a VPN to get around that
* Cost of services (laundry etc) is cheap compared to other business hotels
* A sixty minute massage at the Spa was about $10. It was intense (Vietnamese style, I guess) but invigorating.
* Location -- only a few minutes walk from the central lake and the old town
* Breakfast was of a high standard - not the best I've ever had, but good food and fruit
* Good selection of television channels in English, including news channels and movie channels

I did not like:
* The NOISE. Oh my goodness. My first room faced north and it was fine, but the second faced east, where there was noisy construction all night. And some dude on his motorscooter rode around loudly announcing Muslim prayers at all hours.
* Weak wifi signal in my room - kept cutting out.

Ultimately, I would stay here again, although I would be choosy about the noise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank zmrzlina
Karachi
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Rooms are clean, staff is helpful with sign language (english is marsian for 'em) [cheers]
Food was good, WiFi access was a breez. No international News TV channel though :(
Facebook is blocked (you need to confugure google open dns for yourself)

Best if you want foot massages :)

Turtle tower lake is blessing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Asif K
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 December 2011

For a night or two in Hanoi this was an ok hotel. My room was clean and generally felt pretty safe. It is quite well located in old Hanoi so easy to walk from to see old buzzing Hanoi (there is an evening market only a street block away each Saturday, so a 5 min walk from hotel). On the flip side, the street it faces is busy 24h a day, so don't expect any quiet time in room if you're facing the street side (had a street side room, but after a full day of touring I was so tired that the street noise did not bother me too much in the end, but it woke me up early instead). So don't expect luxury, but is OK if you're in Hanoi for a day or two and happy enough with basic but clean accommodation.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank BabaLjuba
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The managing director of the hotel could not do enough to make the stay as comfortable and easy as possible. He even made the tour operator in the hotel reduce the price of a trip we were looking at(make sure you shop around first there are 5 or 6 on the same street) Nice rooms and decent brakfast service. The view is pretty cool at the restaurant on the top floor. Oh and make sure you have a foot massage the guys and girls there have some seriously strong fingers !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank John B
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Hoa Binh Palace hotel for two weeks in the Fall of 2010 while we worked on a volunteer project in Hanoi. We had a wonderful experience. Don't come here if you are expecting the Westin, but if you are interested in a consistent quality hotel in the Old Quarter, this is the place. The hotel itself is older, but well maintained and comfortable. The rooms were small, but well appointed and comfortable, with excellent air conditioning, telephone, and internet. The Bathrooms were also small, but functional. However, the best thing about the hotel was the consistently friendly, helpful and welcoming staff who treated us like both honored guests and friends. Mr Tuan was attentive and eager for his staff to provide a good experience and the attendants and wait staff were earnest and sincerely friendly. They raced out in the mornings to grab us taxis and welcomed us back with smiles and laughter every afternoon. The restaurant at the top of the hotel has some of the best food in Hanoi for those looking for more western break from street food, and the breakfast buffet was enjoyable even after 14 mornings. IMPORTANT: Note that there are two Hoa Binh hotels - the one in the old quarter is the Hoa Binh Palace. We suspect that some of the bad reviews here relate to the other hotel - the taller one in the photo's provided.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank srvctraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I have been travelling around the world for a year now and have stayed in many hotel/hostels, good & bad around the world. But this is the only one I have felt I needed to review. After thinking we were offer a reasonable price for a room with the perk of a pool we thought we had a good deal, but we were wrong. The staff were rude and unable to help with our general questions, but more interested in selling us there tours.

The final straw was after our room was cleaned a pair of trainers miraculously disappear from the
bathroom. After asking the boss at reception if they had been removed from the room or maybe thrown away by mistake, she offered no help, insinuated I was lying. After asking a second time to check with her cleaning staff, she got aggressive and then basically laughed in my face.

The only option was to move to another hotel down the road, as we didn't feel safe leaving our belongs there or if we had any other problems arise we could not go to them. On leaving she refused to speak to us or make eye contact, only to give us an amount for the room.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels