“Very busy and big market, don't be afraid to bargain as a group .......”
Review of Dong Xuan Market

US$80.00*
Private Full-Day Halong Bay Tour Including Cruise, Kayaking and Surprising Cave
Ranked #84 of 285 things to do in Hanoi
More attraction details
Owner description: Though not quite the same since a devastating fire in 1994, this famous market is nevertheless a landmark trading post.
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This Dong Xuan market is a very big and buy market where you can find everything from food, durians, t-shirts, souvenirs to fake watches :-) Like other markets in developing countries and especially as a foreigner, you must have the guts to bargain very well to get the right prices here. One of the tricks to get the lowest prices as possible in this kind of markets, is to bargain as a group that will buy in quite a lot of quantities. Most of the times, you will be able to get quite a big discount although it does not guarantee that you have got the lowest prices .......

3  Thank Octovianus G

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Went thereto get my stepdad a knock off watch. Had to shop around but found majority of each store they were very rude. One lady even physically pushed us out!
I did end up getting a knock off Rolex for $20 which I'm happy with but wouldn't recommend going there as very rude to the usual Vietnamese locals

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

What a terrible unfriendly market. I just wanted to buy a few belts, ties and cufflinks. No stallholder would give us the time of day. And when asking for a price they couldnt even do that. ....
Got some luck off one lady who sold me cufflinks and ties. But the rest of the stalls were very hard to deal with

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had our bikes so make sure you have a chain and padlock and remember we're you left them as the market is very busy, I used to visit Hanoi on business and just love the place, everyone is so friendly, a bike is a must try and go with the flow of traffic, but keep your eyes looking ahead never look backwards regardless as others will move away from you from behind, best rule I found.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

After reading the reviews below I changed my plans and decided not to visit the market but by chance we ended up in its territory yesterday so we decided to take a look. I'm glad we did. A busy and bustling place filled to the brim of all sorts of goods.
I believe that when you travel away from home it is to immerse yourself in the life and culture of the destination. The tourists below clearly dont share this ambition and have clearly come to Vietnam with their eyes closed. If younwant to experience the sights and smells of Vietnam then visit the market. Dont go to the people's market and expect it to be just like the very comfortable 5 star hotel you just left.
those who complain that it is a wholesale market - it is - and if you had read the text above then you would have known that.
Personally it is nice to go to an area of Hanoi selling something different not aimed at tourists.
Recommended for an hour's excursion - if you are not a pompous tourist that is....

8  Thank yummycustard22