“Go Hoi An”

Ranked #2 of 284 things to do in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hanoi’s lively Old Quarter comprises nearly 40 streets packed with shops selling all kinds of goods, each street named for its primary good or service.
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Old Quarter is ok for a day and night, spend more time in the Hoi An area, more to do.

1  Thank Chris C

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed 5 nights in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. We have also stayed in Saigon and travelled through Vietnam from South to North. Have to say, the Old Quarter is not really a place you want to stay unless you have no kids, or like to party.

Scams are the worst I have ever come across in all my travels. Our son had his shoes virtually ripped off his feet before we could stop a local and then he tried to charge us 300,000 vd for some glue he used.

I was approached by a street hawker, everyone is, but one in particular was very aggressive, grabbing my arm and blocking my path, she wouldn't even listen to my husband telling her to let go and go away. In the end I had to really push her to get away from her, then she stalked me for days every time I left the hotel.

Food prices are quite cheap if you find the right place. Clothes are cheaper in the rest of Vietnam compared to Hanoi. Souvenirs are overpriced in and out of the shops and they bargain a lot harder in Hanoi.

Unfortunately, when walking it is best to push past and ignore all the street vendors or you are in for a tough time. In other cities in Vietnam the people are very friendly even when you don't buy off them, not in the Old Quarter, so beware.

Really a place for having a good party, cheap beer and if you like crazy and frantic then this is the place for you!

5  Thank Paula F
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Organized chaos. Lots of exciting places to eat. Easy to get lost, so always carry a map.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

To get the true feel for Hanoi you should stay in the Old Quarter - despite the lack of footpaths due to the moto parking and the tacky tourist shops in some parts this is really the heart of the city.

1  Thank MJG30
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Pickpockets at the markets. Lots of shops but the goods break before you leave Vietnam.
The food is better in Saigon.
Cyclo drivers, everyone, tries to rip you off. All want money

3  Thank JC-Qld

Been to Old Quarter? Share your experiences!