“A touch of culture and fun!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Awesome Karaoke Hanoi
Ranked #37 of 68 Nightlife in Hanoi
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A touch of culture and fun!”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I and my Germany friend finished a working day in the hotel to discover that it was raining quite heavily and the night would be boring with just books and internet in room looking over the window waiting for the next day to hope that the sun would come up. In Hanoi as far as I know, the night life is not so rich expecially in the rain.
I searched on internet to know more about the activities would could do in Hanoi and we got Awesome karaoke to be our surprise. I soon called the manager - Mr. Anh to ask for the details and price and definitely I do not want any not good singer to be singing in this event. We decided to go on the first special tour in our 7 years working and staying in hotels in Hanoi.
Anh came later on a taxi in around half an hour with 4 another persons in the taxi following him. We got on it to know some Hanoian: Windy - a tour guide, Loi (or Lai somehow I cannot make sure)- a hotel manager in the Old Quarter and his wife - also works with him. The taxi drive is in around 10 minutes to drop us at the front of a Karaoke bar in the street on the other side of the Red river dyke. We came to the room as Anh had reserved before. The bar is pretty noisy with a lot of other persons singing. The room is arond 30 Sqm with 2 rows of sofa and a table in the middle. In the table had some fruit, snack and of course Hanoi Beer. Anh soon started to introduce people in the party, rules of the night and welcome everybody by a meaningful song in this rainy night: "Hanoi this season lacks of the rain". His voice is quite ok for this hard song as the rythm is very difficult to follow.
Following everybody came up to sing, some more Vietnamese songs and some English songs, the young people seemed not to be singing as it is a tour, they seemed to sing for their night life.
My Germany friend also wanted to sing - My God, first time in my 7 year I listen to his voice as he is the only foreigner in the group. Everybody clapped hands to encourage and of course as a modern singing equipment, they have the marking system.
Windy - the tour guide was very good at singing in English, we later on get a talk to know more (of course it was like shouting at each other as it was a full music environment. One of his song was almost perfect and got 99 mark. An incredible mark for Vietnamese speacking English. He also explained to my friend everything about the songs those was in Vietnamese.
The night kept going quite well and we finished around 5 or 6 bottles of beer each. As it was around 2 hours later I ask Anh to know if it is finished as the tour was only for 2 hours. He said that we can lenthen it if we want. Just llok a my friend I would know that he would like some more time.
Finally around 3 hours of singing, my voice as not as clear any more and would like to stop. Anh finalized the Price and my friend got the Medal of Encouragement as the only gift for the most special performance of the night for his Germany singing and dancing song.
We got back to the hotel and sort out the payment, it was only 25 USD for each of us for the special night and for my friend first time karaoke. I would surely believe that the 50 USD was not enough for the payment of the bill, I gave him some more tip.
Our feeling of joining this special even was that the group was not working with tourists, they were friends who introduce Vietnamese culture to us instead. It seemed not for profit activity with a lot of memories.
I surely believe that when my Germany boss comes back to this town again or any another friends who visit Hanoi, I would simply introduce the tour to them as it is a very good way to know about some real Hanoi people, to know about the feeling of the young country and to know about the music of past and present of Vietnam. For us, it was more than just a tour, it was the a real night life of Hanoi! Thanks, the Awesome guys!

Visited June 2012