“A Pleasant Surprise (and cheap!)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rising Dragon Legend Hotel

Rising Dragon Legend Hotel
Ranked #49 of 566 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Hanoi, Vietnam
“A Pleasant Surprise (and cheap!)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel was a pleasant surprise, being very cheap, clean, we'll located, offering a pleasant stay. I had a room without a window / view which made it cheap, but light came into the room through glass bricks in the bathroom. The bathroom was small and narrow, but the shower was comfortable. For one night, this hotel was excellent.

The staff were fantastic and spoke very good English, offering so much assistance with tour & travel options & bookings. The hotel doesn't look like much from the street, but it was like a little hidden gem.

Breakfast was included in the room price and offered a selection of eggs, breads, pancakes, fruit, juices, coffee & tea. Simplistic, but tasty.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisi61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

You're at the center of the action when you walk out of the lobby - motorbikes, street vendors, shopping stalls, more motorbikes. 2min walk to the tourist info center. 1min walk to the street for shoe knock-offs and the puppet show theater.

Check-in process was fast - I was in my room in less than 5mins. Well-appreciated checking in at around 130am.

The double bed is actually 2 single beds attached together, but the middle bit wasn't bothersome. I asked for a room at the back, instead of one by the street so I can avoid the street noise (it can get really noisy in this location), so I expected my small window to be facing another window or a wall - true for my room (504). Common set up for hotels in the old quarter. Luckily, the building next to the hotel wasn't as high as my room and the hotel was only 6-storey high, so I did get enough daylight in.

Wi-fi access in the room. Complimentary bottles of water (only 2 bottles for my whole stay), closet, hangers, safe, tv, air conditioning unit, fridge, kettle.

Cleaning can be improved a bit: the tea cup I used in Day 1 was not replaced. Was there for 4 days. They also didn't change the sheets - I have no problems with this (save water!) but some people may be put off by this.

With hot, cold shower. With 2 shower heads and faucet - more than enough for a budget hotel. With complimentary toiletries - some of the bottles/boxes had tears on it or faded prints or logos though - proof, maybe, of much re-use? Apart from the molds on the sink where it meets the wall (see picture), the rest of the bathroom looked clean.

For breakfast, basic buffet menu and same menu everyday with bread , fruits, eggs, pancakes, noodle soup (which i don't recommend, better tasting ones on the street). I love that it's just enough to get me through the first 1-2 hours of the day before trying out street food before lunch. Coffee and tea available the whole day.

All the staff I encountered were attentive, alert, pleasant. They also maintained a good balance between being friendly/chatty and letting you get on with your day. No one forgot anything, made a mistake with a request or took too long to address a request - I called for a hairdryer (because I didn't check the drawers) and someone was up in 2mins.

I'm really happy with this hotel but would I stay here again? Definitely, but I'd also still look around for other hotels to see if I could save a few dollars.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back to avoid street noise. If you want to get some daylight through your window...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mcmanila
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I planed to stay here for 2 nights but stayed 3 nights because of Typhoon Haiyan (thank you for finding a room for us!). Staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was perfect (esp. the baguettes and passion fruits). Perfect location: walking distance to Hoan Kiem Lake.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoannaJ60
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 403 and 404 (those 2 rooms on same level facing each other). When we arrived the staff showed us few rooms but we were not too happy as the wallpaper or paint was peeling off and bathroom a bit dated. The staff was really understanding and show us those two rooms instead. The rooms were really clean, yes the wall had still some spot were the paint was peeling off in room 404 ( just on few spots though). There is an elevator and the staff is always helpful and help you with your luggage. Breakfast was included too and very generous, fresh fruits,toast, coffee, and you can ask to have pancake (yummy) or eggs.... The staff was amazing at the reception but also in kitchen and at the front door! What a great team!!! We booked a one night tour on halong bay with David, the travel agent inside the hotel (with galaxy premium tour!) I gave David a headache as I was an annoying customer (previously had a bad experience on a tour on halong baie). David made me the promess that he wanted us to be happy, and even made us pay when we came back. David is so reliable and you can trust him! Thank you for that David we had the best tour ever! (i will put a review for galaxy premium).Flat screans tv, large safe, towels, shampoo, conditioner, comb, toothbrush were included. Be careful though there are many rising dragon hotel (which are good too but look at the location on the map). The location at the legend one is awesome! Awesome staff ;)

• Stayed September 2013
Poland Warsaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and we were very satisfied with this hotel. The hotel is very conveniently located not far from the market, it is very clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful, providing you with a lot of tips. The breakfast is not that varied but still it’s alright. The gentleman at front desk speaks perfect English. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blake W
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We chose this hotel for its location, and it was a great idea, as we got the chance to wander around and check out all the life around. The atmosphere was very good, with extremely comfortable rooms. Great hotel to be in if you're in Hanoi to travel around.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobertaOSn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We highly recommended this hotel! The stuff is so kind, answer any question and did not let as carry our bags for a minute. We also booked there the trip to ha long bay and to sapa and it was perfect. The only bad thing we have to say is that the size of the rooms is very small, we didn't spent that much time in the room so it didn't bother us.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple