Mai Charming Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsclassic roomold quarterno windowhalong bayrooms are smallthe ground floortourist attractionsa lovely staythe room was niceexcellent locationenjoyed my stayairport transferconvenient locationamazing staffhoan kiem lakenight markethotel staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Location
Located in the old quarter on the main street. From the airport it takes about 45 minutes and a taxi will cost no more US$20. Mixture of shops, some clothes, random shops, tour companies and the odd bars/street food places in the vicinity, overall a good location for sight seeing.
Room
The room to be fair cost me £15. For that price it is acceptable and good value. However I can't say I enjoyed staying in this room. While it was clean, I found it not that comfortable. For a start the room is within the building so no natural light or any window you can open. It had poor ventilation- it was like shoe box size. The double bed was rock solid- while I like a firm bed, this was the hardest mattress I have ever slept in (similar to lying on a yoga mat on the floor) and could not sleep very well. The A/C is also right above the bed and found it very hard to get the right temperature- it seemed very chilly, so in the middle of the night I turned it off and then got the sweats- I ended up not really sleeping and waking up with a cold. The room though although small has a lot of decent features. There was a wardrobe for clothes, an easy to use safe, a large flat screen TV with many channels conveniently in front of the bed. A small table with a mirror and a decent amount of power plugs. Small kettle and tea facility as well as two complementary bottles of water was generously offered. The bathrooms was of good size and shower worked well- although very hot water Amenities include small shampoo and shower gel as well as vanity kit- which for the price was generous. Overall I found this room fine for one night and better than a hostel- it was good value for money but I would not want to stay in this room again, I probably was ill already as flew for 25 hours prior to arriving but the bed was too hard and the room was too cold or too hot- with bad ventilation due to being in the middle of the building. However I have stayed at many hotels and the room had some better amenities than even 4 star hotels such as tea/coffee facilities, safe, hair dryer etc.. This was the cheapest room they have and although it has a double bed, I certainly would not recommend more than 1 person stay here due to the bad ventilation and size.
Facilities
The hotel has WIFI which when worked did work well, however I had to have it be reset twice as although you are connected- it sort of freezing in which only resetting the box works- reception though were happy to do this twice.
Breakfast was included, again to be fair for the price of £15 a night I did not expect much, and there was not much. The food was limited and did not look appetising, greasy bacon or dried out cheese & ham on the counters as well as old looking egg fried rice made me stick to bread rolls (which were fresh) & butter. Even the fruit looked a bit dated. They do though have a egg station, but did not fancy any eggs.
A SPA is offered on the ground floor but I did not use this facility.
Staff
Staff are as with all most of these small hotels in Hanoi, just lovely. Really friendly, kind and helpful with maps or areas to go. They seem sincere and this was the best part of the hotel. Check-in /out was smooth and staff make 5 star effort to be welcoming.
Overall I would not recommend going for the cheapest room as don't expect a great sleep, also wouldn't recommend the breakfast but value for money is superb for what you get and staff are really nice.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend the 'Classic Room'
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank docdot
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is very nice, and ideally located in the central of Old Quater, everything is walkable distance: lake, market, theatre, restaurants, ATM. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the service is amazing, The hotel staff were extremely helpful in every way, in arranging a trip to Halong Bay and kept our luggage while we were on our tours. They also made arrangements for our next movement to Hoi An.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray G
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Mai Charming Boutique Hotel. It's located in theOld Quarter is a tourist center.
Easy walk to tourist attractions. and there are the great staff . Good information and good speaking in Eng and also wifi is fast and free. we love this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Photoriao
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is an excellent hotel. Great breakfast with friendly staff, fast wifi for free, nice receptionists, good room service. Honestly we couldn't of expected anything more from the staff and services here, it was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We booked three nights here on seeing a good discount on a hotel comparison website. The hotel is in a good location and most of the main attractions are all within a 10 to 20 minute walk.

The staff are fantastic, especially Mai on reception who was very friendly throughout our stay. There is a free breakfast included on the 7th floor, which is very limited but you can get tea, coffee, omelette and a few other bits, fine for what we paid. There is free wifi on all floors.

BUT!! The building next door is being redeveloped into a hotel and the builders hammer and drill from 08:30 until 18:00 each day! You can hear it throughout the hotel and is constantly annoying. Mai was very apologetic and telephoned the room on the Saturday morning to warn us again, so the staff are lovely.

Such as shame for a good hotel at a great to have to have this racket next to them. I'm sure it will lose them business. We have another 5 days in Hanoi after our Halong Bay cruise. We would have stayed here but we cannot take the hammering and drilling, sorry Mai Charming Hotel.

It should be 5 stars for the price paid and service received but the building work is very annoying!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mai Charming B, Owner at Mai Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Jame 5 !
Thank you so much for your kind feedback which is genuinely appreciated as we use this to review what improvements we can make to our product and service. I am delighted to note that you felt that you were looked after by our team in general very well and this is absolutely central to our service ethos.

I have noted that your problem has been finished ( The buiding next door has been finished repair ). It's not apearing again in the future.
Please accept my sincere apologies about your problem. Please rest assured that this has been followed up with my team and I would like to send you a separate private email to reinforce this. I very much hope that I can persuade you to consider trying us once more.

Thanks & Have a good day with your family