“Serves a purpose!!!”

Ranked #332 of 588 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Serves a purpose!!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Its only alright.Rooms are ok.The hostel is very central and quiet in fairness.There was an issue with someone checking out as I was checking in about getting their passport back.It was made difficult when clearly it should have been handed over on check out,so I asked for it back when they were finished with mine and it was not a problem.The staff are just a bunch of young fellas or cousins of the owner.A bit of a Vietnamese faulty towers but retarded instead of humorous.
I did get annoyed when bringing back a lady friend to a private room I had booked for my last night before going home and one of the staff was pissing and moaning about it.
NO BREAKFAST AT ALL!!!ITS A LIE Internet only works in receprtion

I did book my bus ticket to Sapa which was an ordeal all round.The only plus was that I could leave my backpack there while I was gone.Do not book a bus ticket it will only cause hassle.Plenty of travel agents around the corner

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ross M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

In terms of staff this is by far the worst place I've ever stayed. The young man behind the desk just stared around nonchalantly whilst asking we were asking questions responding with the smallest of input. Compared to the other man, not sure if he was the manager, he was an angel. When we were checking out he started shouting for more money stood up to me and pointed within inches of my face when I refused to pay the strange hidden extra cost. He then offered me a fight with him which was one of the most ludicrous things I've heard. This was then followed by "you're in Vietnam you pay or we will find you". Honestly didn't think this rant could be topped until he said " we're at war with China I don't care about you". What relevance this had to me checking out I will never know. At one point he attempted to slap my face whilst the other young man moved closer to me. I have honestly never stayed with such hostile staff before. Do not stay here, unless of course you enjoy being threatened and asked for a fight...

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank david b

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Air conditioner would not work and they would not give a discount because of this.
Bed had stains and bugs.
Moths and Mosquitos in the room.
Lighting is poor.
Building is closed at 12am, you cannot get in or out!
Staff was rude and not helpful.
I've stayed at many hostels/homestays and this is by far the worst.
The only good thing about place is the location, but with so many other hotels/hostels in this area, you can find something much better for your money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I made the unfortunate mistake of trusting reviews on booking.com instead of checking TripAdvisor. I booked them before I reached Hanoi and spent a while looking for them. I called the guy multiple times for directions and he muttered something unintelligible. I was on a bike and eventually found my way around with the help of a guy who was interested in buying it. As I was about to complete my transaction, this guy walks out and hands his unsolicited opinion, saying he doesn't think the bike is worth how much I was selling it for. (I paid double for this imported French frame just 3 weeks ago). I lose the deal, already annoyed with him. After checking in, I noticed him taking some pictures of my bike. I asked him why and he shrugged. Creepy.

The room itself is a little box. No natural light. Leaky bathroom. Smelt like incense covering up a musty smell. I got my bags to the third floor with no help, promptly found myself another place in May De Ville hostel next door. Shared room but way more pleasant. Did not ask for the money back, but it was clear I wasn't getting it.

Do yourself a favor and don't bother going here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Nitya O
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 February 2014

When we arrived here the rooms we had booked appeared fine. However it quickly became apparent that the room lacked several described amenities, such as HEATING (it was freezing in the room), the hot water did not work upon arrival, the bathroom flooded into the bedroom and the wifi hardly worked. We then decided to leave the hostel immediately and asked for our passports back which they refused until we paid, regardless of the fact that their policy was that we could check out free of charge within the hour and it had only been 45 minutes. They then yelled at us to pay or "shut up and sit in the corner". When we continued discussing the two men came from behind the desk saying "Fight?!?", pushed my friend and took a swing. We did pay and left immediately. I highly recommend for your own safety to STAY AWAY from this hostel!!

• Stayed February 2014
9 Thank Scl1722
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We didn't think this hostel was worth the price and there are nicer places in the old quarter. We stayed here a couple of nights and then moved on. It wasn't the cleanest and smelt of damp. Although the location in good if you want street food, beer etc, the place itself is poor and the staff were rude.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank j p
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Had the misfortune to stay here four nights in late January.
I hadn't checked out Trip Advisor before I booked :-/
Even at ~€7 for a private room, it's not with staying here, I think. My double bed was uncomfortable, the wallpaper was peeling w/signs of damp. The bathroom is a wet room where the drain is not at the lowest point of the room so much of the water sits on the floor. Window looks out into the corridor so had the curtains closed the entire time. In spite of having at least three hours to clean the room before I moved in, it was a rather half hearted job and I noticed a lot if of dust and grime.
Arrived at 9:30 and was told to basically go away until 12, the room wasn't actually ready until 12:40, not THAT big a deal but still.
They UTTERLY overcharge for laundry 30k/kg and they send it out so you're better off finding an actual launderette - I saw many $1/kg places.
Breakfast is few options, basically bread with a eggs/jam/sausage(stay away from that) and not very tasty at a four person table with six chairs.
The staff were generally unhelpful and didn't really seem to want to help.
While there was nothing truly awful at this place it was not a good choice on my part, the only plus was that the location was good for what I was doing. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014