“the best place we stayed in vietnam”
Review of Viethouse Hanoi

Viethouse Hanoi
Ranked #67 of 651 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

can't say enough good things about this hotel. it was absolutely beautiful, perfectly maintained, spotless, comfortable, ideally-located, and good value for money. for a little extra money, you can also get a delicious and balanced breakfast that will get you through a day of sight-seeing. the host was incredibly helpful and pays personal attention to the needs of the guests. this hotel is just slightly more expensive than a lot of the mid-range hotels, but it is worth every penny. i can't recommend the viethouse highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Viethouse last weekend and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Great location, excellent rooms and really charming. Caroline is a born hotelier and we couldn't have felt more welcome. Really generous with great tips for cool, off the beaten track activities - we were really well looked after. Perfect for exploring Hanoi - couldn't have hoped for better.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Belle06
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Viethouse. Very clean, charming little hotel run by a wonderful woman. Location can't be beat, and you can also get a filling, nutritious breakfast made for you and delivered to your room. Only things to note are that if you want to get an early start to your morning, you need to let the manager know in advance so she can open the door. Also, you need to bring your own shampoo and conditioner, or buy it at one of the corner markets.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We just arrived at Thailand from our fantastic trip to this outstanding home away from home. We stayed for 3 days, and it was great. The room was quiet and nice. The hotel was top notch as was the service. Great service, great suggestions. I could write more about this place. From reception, to room service to housekeeping for their great job. But.. better you try it by yourself.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This 'review' is a bit unusual but I didn't actually stay here. I stumbled upon Viethouse while searching for a local cafe recommended by staff at the hotel I stayed at (my other review).

Even though there's no clear sign, the lobby area looked so interesting that I had to peak in. Upon entrance, Caroline Peter, the vivacious owner/proprietor, asked if she should come down to greet me.

I asked her if this was a hotel or an art gallery because I honestly couldn't tell. After finding out my answer, I asked her for the rate in case I choose to extend my stay in Hanoi (or return trip)

Caroline went on to show me the room. At $48 USD, the superior room is the penthouse of the 7 rooms narrow building with panoramic view of the city. Awesome value.

The location is also perfect, a stone throw away from the lake but in the very quiet street off the crazy Old Quarter traffic.

Add to the fact that Caroline is very cultured, well-traveled, and possess tremendous charm. She happily shared with me cool places to go to in Hanoi as well as very cool non-touristy itinerary to Halong and Sapa...all this even though I'm not her customer yet!

Suffice to stay, Viethouse will be my first and only hotel choice on my return trip to Hanoi (despite already being happy with my current hotel).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank websoup
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This is a review for both the Viethouse in Hanoi and the Viethouse Lodge in Halong Bay (Tuan Chau Island)

Firstly, my partner and I have been traveling through South East Asia for the past 4.5 months and both these guesthouses/hotels were amazing.Here are the reasons why:

The owners/hosts at both locations (Caroline, Ly and his wife) were so welcoming we felt at home and received personal care. They were so helpful with information, arranging for transport, recommending day-trips that common tourists were not doing, accommodating our dietary restrictions (we're vegetarian), and making our stay memorable.

The hotel in Hanoi is the best value that we found for the location (we did the backpacker hotel rounds in Old Town). It is a slightly higher price point, but well worth the extra few dollars. It has all the modern convinces and aesthetic that you could want while keeping an artistic and vintage feel. We got the penthouse suite which has amazing light that floods in through the expansive windows on all sides. You can actually see the lake from the room. We also looked at two other rooms which were equally beautiful. Caroline is welcoming and professional and is an exceptional chef. We highly recommend that you ask for the breakfast add-on. The best breakfast we had in months!! (Seriously)

From Hanoi, Caroline arranged a very affordable and comfortable shuttle bus service to Halong Bay. We were considering taking one of the infamous boat tours, but we were so glad we didn't. Instead on Caroline's recommendation, we stayed at their sister property, Viethouse Lodge on a small island in Halong Bay.

The sweeping views are enough to take your breath away and the property has old-world charm that is extremely hard to find in Halong Bay. If you look at their website, you will not get an appropriate gauge of the beauty of their property (they are renovating it, so hopefully there will be some better photos soon).

The old brick structure with large wooden support beams, the thatched roof, the wooden windows and other heritage furniture make you feel authentic Vietnam. The only thing we think could be upgraded are the bathrooms.

There is a great pool, a delicious and affordable restaurant, and lots of photo opportunities. If you are looking for a quiet and chilled out island, a nice deck to catch up on reading, easy access to the public ferry and great hosts to boot, then this is THE place to be in Halong Bay. Much better that any boat cruise.

Here's what we recommend – one or two nights in Hanoi at Viethouse. Skip the boat cruise in Halong Bay and stay at the Viethouse Lodge in Halong Bay. The owners will give you the low-down on the local ferry to Cat Ba (which travels through the beautiful karst islands) and spending a great day exploring Cat Ba and returning to dip in the pool at the lodge.

Loved it and highly recommend both places.

Room Tip: Ask for the penthouse.