“Puppets”

Ranked #18 of 277 things to do in Hanoi
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Traditional legends and historical tales are among the enchanting puppet plays performed at this popular theatre.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bangkok, Thailand
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Puppets”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A unique experience. Although there are several performances each evening it is necessary to book in advance. The Little Hanoi Hotel did this for us.

• Arabic first
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Really worth a visit”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Went last week whist in Hanoi. Great entertainment for all ages and really worth a visit, its very well done. The show was an hour long. It was very last minute for us and we only decided to go on our last day. My wife went to the box office and was told there were no tickets. I went up as well to try and was also told no tickets. I went back five minutes later in the hope the a few thousand more Vietnamese dong may help. This time she managed to find some tickets without my offer of extra money. The odd thing was that although it was very busy it wasn't full in there anyway. Good entertainment for adults and I would think kids would love it as it isn't too long.

Sydney, Australia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 396 helpful votes
“Hour show....capacity audience”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was really looking forward to seeing this performance and commented to my friend that I had hoped it would have been longer than an hour, however an hour was too long. The choreography of the puppets was great, just repetitive. There was a live group of performers who played instruments and sang in Vietnamese. They were great and without them the performance would have been bland.
It's a shame that there was no pamphlet handed out or any translations given...the audience were mainly European...it was left to our own interpretations.
Looking around the audience many were asleep...I have to admit I was bored. Thank God for the live band performers they certainly love their job :)

2 Thank suem56
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Touristic but enjoyable”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I'm reviewing this as a local. Been here once. The place has been renovated so it has canteen (pricey but ok) at the front with very nice lake view from the entrance. The show is mostly about the life of Vietnamese in the old time with farming, fishing and showing the close-to-nature, simple, hardworking happy life of Vietnamese farmers. The songs praised the beauty of nature and people and the enthusiasm of working. Highly recommended for kids. This kind of puppet used to be the entertainment in some village in the north of Vietnam for Tet (new year) or other special occasions before we have TV and imported shows :D. I wish they could have made the show more various so people would have want to comeback, but now it's mostly for tourist :(

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Traditional Theatre”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We went to the Water Puppet Show as part of an organised excursion which included a rickshaw ride from our hotel to the theatre. Being cycled through Hanoi's late afternoon motor cycle traffic was an eye opener. The entrance to the theatre was crowded but we were shepherded through to our seats quite easily. The puppet stories were interesting to watch for a while but did get a little repetitive. I assumed the instruments, music and vocals were traditional and were excellent. I would recommend a visit to experience Vietnamese traditional theatre