“Rather a business hotel”

Thang Long Opera Hotel
Ranked #115 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights on a business trip. The rooms were nice and friendly, the furniture quite new and also the bathroom seemed to be renovated only recently. One big disadvantage was the very bad internet connection. I could hardly connect to the Wifi and also plugging in the cable on the desk did not speed up the connection. But all in all enjoyed the room very much!

The breakfast however wasn't that great. Honestly I expected much more from hotel in this category. It was rather comparable to a 2-star hotel breakfast buffet. In addition the staff in the restaurant was not friendly at all and I did not feel welcome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JustOnTheWay

Reviewed 5 June 2012

A re-visit to Thang Long Opera Hotel only served to reinforce my earlier post about this hotel. This is the third time I have visited this hotel and it continues to live up to my expectations. It is a 3 star hotel so don't expect anything else but the rooms are spacious and clean with a shower-over-bath , hand basin and standard western-style toilet. The beds are firm, which suits me, and the rooms have air-conditioning. All rooms face forward and open out on to a small veranda.
This hotel tends to cater more for Asian clients and this shows at breakfast time. Still a westerner like me can still have cereals, fruit and bacon & egg followed up with delicious Vietnam coffee.
The hotel is centrally located within easy walking distance of the Lake, Opera House and the famed Old Quarter. Although the streets are busy around Ha Noi the street noise in the rooms is minimal and a good nights sleep almost guaranteed.
If I really want to nit-pick this hotel there are only 2 items; You do have to lock your room when you exit and there is no room safe, any valuables can be left at the desk anyway.
Ask me if I'd return and I would reply with an emphatic yes.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1monday
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Our party stayed in this hotel twice on our tour of Vietnam. The first time there was a bowl of fresh fruit in the rooms, but when we came back 4 days later we didn't get any.

The rooms were dark and didn't have a safe. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was quite poor. Most of the "hot" food was cold. Did not fancy stone cold chips for breakfast. Like most hotels if you eat eggs you are ok. Staff moaned when I asked for fresh tea as the tea on the counter was cold. They made a thermos of tea with one teabag.

I was badly bitten one night in bed, but we couldn't find what had caused it.

Location was good as we could easily walk to the old town and the lake.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Place is decent, provides everything you need as a traveler. Nothing fancy, nothing bad. I agree w/ most of the reviews here. Few things to add. It was a nice touch to have a plate of unpeeled fresh fruit waiting for you. We got 1 mango, 2 persimmons, couple of bananas. They even provided knife to cut the fruits. 2 bottles of complimentary water.

Breakfast included western and asian foods. However, after looking through everything, makes me a little uneasy to eat most of it. Hot foods arent kept hot, cold foods arent kept cold (ie yogurt, fruits, milk were kept at room temp). So I ended up eating only made to order things, pho, omelettes, toast. Surprisinly, i think they had the best pho out of all the places we ate at. There were also sometimes bugs flying around.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I stayed at the Thang Long Opera for 2 nights when I was on Business. This was my first trip to Hanoi so I am not very well versed with the city like I am with other South Asian cities.

PROS:

LOCATION:
- 15 minutes walk, 5 minute ride from Hoan Kiem lake, a pretty little lake with a nice restaurant on the banks.
- 10 minute away from the "old quarters" which is a backpackers paradise. This place is also host to the famous "Dragonfly" and "Laughing Buddha" nightclubs.
- Very close to the Hoan Kiem shopping area where you can buy a variety hand crafts and souvenirs.
- A lovely Indian restaurant just 2 doors down (i forget the name, sorry!). Great food.
- Close to plenty of other great eateries, all international and local cuisines.

PROPERTY:
- Mid sized hotel with I would approximately say about 70 rooms.
- I stayed in a 1-BR room and paid a corporate discounted rate of $60 / night. A super deal according to me!
- My room had split beds, a basic but very clean bathroom / toilet.
- Slightly musty but very clean room. Clean linens, towels etc. Big old fashioned CRT TV set though.
- Free WIFI - but connection can be a little up & down.

SERVICE:
- Front desk staff very courteous and warm. Not all of them speak fluent English but enough to communicate effectively.
- Good efficient housekeeping staff. I got my suit and shirt pressed in a record 15 minutes!
- Very good concierge service. They will ask and ring for a taxi from the street which will appear in no time.

FOOD:
- Only had the complimentary buffet breakfast. I have seen other travelers complain of the spread. But my experience was good.
- Decent spread with Vietnamese food, different kinds of bread, tropical fruits, selection of juices, muffins, cakes, pancakes and the standard egg-station. That is not a bad spread to me!

CONS:
- Hotel is a little old. So rooms can be somewhat musty.
- No swimming pool or gym.
- I got split-beds. Maybe others have queen / king sized beds. I wouldn't know.
- Rooms are mid-sized. I have stayed in much bigger hotel rooms before.
- Centralized air conditioning. Sometimes not consistent in the way it cools. It can be too cold at times and too warm at the others even when the thermostat is at the same levvel.

RECOMMENDATION:
I would say just take the hotel if swimming pool is not a major necessity. It really is very charming and quite comfy. The location is great too. Good for both business and family vacations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a king / queen sized bed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank chaitukash79
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My only real concern as a traveller is that the rooms do not have a safe deposit box. You can use reception though. It's in great location and handy to most main touristy sites. This has been the second time I have used it so I think that says it all.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank 1monday
Reviewed 23 March 2011

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it is close to the Opera House. You are better off choosing a hotel in or near the old quarter. Even if it is more expensive you will be able to explore the shops at your leisure and eat in the local restaurants when you choose. The first room I stayed in had no working TV nor did my friends room. The second room I stayed in after my return from Halong Bay had TV but a shower temperature mixer control that cycled between cold and searing hot that will cause a serious injury if they do not act on my complaint. The breakfasts in Vietnam are not what westerners are used to but this hotel could do better.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends