“Average hotel with a Colonial feel”

Thang Long Opera Hotel
Ranked #115 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The two of us spent 3 nights here as the 1st part of our 7 night Holiday in Vietnam in . In a nutshell it is a cosy, 60's sort of place, somewhat like St Andrews in Sri Lanka,( St Andrews much better finesse ) with its unique, musty, old smells and feeling, and was a good place to start our holiday.

Location was central and convenient .Situated close to the Lake, and some shopping areas.
Checking in was smooth and easy with minimal hanging around. Reception just collected our passports, gave us the room key, got us to identify our baggage and mark it, and 10 minutes after arrival, we were in our room. Now why cant every hotel do that ?

Our double room with a large wash room was spacious with amenities that make your life comfortable away from home were available. There was the usual shampoos and stuff, pressurized hot water, hair dryer, pair of slippers etc. Two free drinking water bottles were provided each day, but we missed the fruit basket....

Room was comfortable, large and air conditioned. The doors open into a dimly lit corridor, and there was no view as such from the window. Linen was clean and smelt good and welcoming.

Bed and pillows were comfy and we were able to have a good night's sleep without being disturbed by the Hanoi street noises or close by rooms, which was great. The big LCD TV, provided a grainy, snowy array of Vietnamese channels and would disappoint people who'd want to watch TV.( We don't ! ) Don't expect a great room service, but if you want a morning cup of coffee, then they will send someone with the sachets.

Breakfast was quiet OK for a 3 star hotel. The noodle soup was great. They provide forks and spoons, so you don't have to struggle with chopsticks.

Staff , on the day we arrived, there was some sort of a big function going , so the reception was super busy and had little time for us. But we got what we wanted and that seemed to be OK for us. They were courteous, spoke English well and when the two of us wanted a large bed instead of 2 separate ones, they agreed and complied without any fuss.

Our luggage was ferried across to and back from the bus to the room without any problem, and this was great.

There was a free WIFI connection, though the signal was weak, I could check my mail and learn about the places we were to visit next day without a problem. When on holiday, that is only what I wanted.

So, we got more than what we wanted from a 3 star hotel. Would I recommend it to a friend, Yes. Specially if you , like me, like 60's feel , and don't mind the lack of ultra modern gadgetry. All in all it was a nice, cosy 3 star hotel, which delivers what it promises.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gamed77

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Our first hotel during our Vietnam tour. The service was fine, the room we had was spacious with everything needed in it. Don't expect a nicely decorated choice of furniture though, it is more a 60's style. Clean it was and the king size bed was super.
If you want to avoid the same mistake we made: don't forget to turn on the 'hot water' switch an hour or so before your bath or you will sit in freezing cold water.....
Location is excellent, so close to the lake and to the old quarter.
Restaurant/breakfast basic, basic, basic...
Staff speaks/understand hardly any english.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank veldhuizen
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in total (the first night on the 4th floor and the last two nights on the top floor. The rooms were large & were newly decorated. The bathroom was quite big and had a walk in shower. The hotel is just under a ten minute walk to the old quarter which was perfect as it was not too close to the hustle and bustle of Hanoi. The breakfast was nothing special just ok - not very much choice. However, I would recommend the hotel, the reception team were very helpful, the rooms were nice and for the price I thought it was very good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaColchester
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights on a business trip. The rooms were nice and friendly, the furniture quite new and also the bathroom seemed to be renovated only recently. One big disadvantage was the very bad internet connection. I could hardly connect to the Wifi and also plugging in the cable on the desk did not speed up the connection. But all in all enjoyed the room very much!

The breakfast however wasn't that great. Honestly I expected much more from hotel in this category. It was rather comparable to a 2-star hotel breakfast buffet. In addition the staff in the restaurant was not friendly at all and I did not feel welcome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JustOnTheWay
Reviewed 5 June 2012

A re-visit to Thang Long Opera Hotel only served to reinforce my earlier post about this hotel. This is the third time I have visited this hotel and it continues to live up to my expectations. It is a 3 star hotel so don't expect anything else but the rooms are spacious and clean with a shower-over-bath , hand basin and standard western-style toilet. The beds are firm, which suits me, and the rooms have air-conditioning. All rooms face forward and open out on to a small veranda.
This hotel tends to cater more for Asian clients and this shows at breakfast time. Still a westerner like me can still have cereals, fruit and bacon & egg followed up with delicious Vietnam coffee.
The hotel is centrally located within easy walking distance of the Lake, Opera House and the famed Old Quarter. Although the streets are busy around Ha Noi the street noise in the rooms is minimal and a good nights sleep almost guaranteed.
If I really want to nit-pick this hotel there are only 2 items; You do have to lock your room when you exit and there is no room safe, any valuables can be left at the desk anyway.
Ask me if I'd return and I would reply with an emphatic yes.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1monday
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Our party stayed in this hotel twice on our tour of Vietnam. The first time there was a bowl of fresh fruit in the rooms, but when we came back 4 days later we didn't get any.

The rooms were dark and didn't have a safe. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was quite poor. Most of the "hot" food was cold. Did not fancy stone cold chips for breakfast. Like most hotels if you eat eggs you are ok. Staff moaned when I asked for fresh tea as the tea on the counter was cold. They made a thermos of tea with one teabag.

I was badly bitten one night in bed, but we couldn't find what had caused it.

Location was good as we could easily walk to the old town and the lake.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Place is decent, provides everything you need as a traveler. Nothing fancy, nothing bad. I agree w/ most of the reviews here. Few things to add. It was a nice touch to have a plate of unpeeled fresh fruit waiting for you. We got 1 mango, 2 persimmons, couple of bananas. They even provided knife to cut the fruits. 2 bottles of complimentary water.

Breakfast included western and asian foods. However, after looking through everything, makes me a little uneasy to eat most of it. Hot foods arent kept hot, cold foods arent kept cold (ie yogurt, fruits, milk were kept at room temp). So I ended up eating only made to order things, pho, omelettes, toast. Surprisinly, i think they had the best pho out of all the places we ate at. There were also sometimes bugs flying around.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family