“Good hotel”

Ranked #57 of 591 Hanoi B&B and Inns
UNITED STATES, UTAH, OREM
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I just wanted to let you know that I was overwhelmed by the generosity, courtesy and service I received during my stay in your hotel from June 18 to June 22, 2009.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive such superbly modern accommodations for the modest amount of fees that I paid for staying with you. I had expected little and was just blown away with the top class hotel, the superbly furnished room, and especially did I appreciate the terrific ladies and gentlemen that served at the reception desk and in the lobby. They were the best I have ever encountered anywhere I have traveled and far superior even to those I have encountered in super luxurious hotels. I wish to commend even the daily breakfast wait-staff and those that cooked breakfast for us each day. The staff went way beyond their normal duties to make me feel comfortable and at-home each day we had breakfast. They even went beyond everything to make sure I had some special treatment to compensate for my having diabetic pre-meal needs. They were so patient and caring.

Every one I encountered, such as the room attendants, the laundry service and the men that waited on us at the lobby doors, were just delightful. I really did not wish to leave as scheduled on July 22.

Thank you all for every courtesy, service and outstanding facilities. Even the location was just ideal. Please know that I intend to return to your beautiful Vietnam frequently and I will go out of my way to make sure that I stay with the Stars Hotel on Bat Su Street, Tanh Pho Hanoi every time I am there.
THANK YOU!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Thai first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 March 2008

Booked the hotel through AirAsia. Turns out that when we arrived, there was no record of the booking! First snag.

Get into the room, and there are 2 single beds. We in the booking had stated we'd like an extra bed. We showed the proof of this in a print out. They said they'll bring an extra bed in. Turns out, that there was no place in the tiny room.

Nevermind, 3 people somehow manage to sleep on 2 beds.

Toilets are dirty. Advise is to wear slippers while you're inside.

Want breakfast? Well, the hotel staff sleep in the hotel and don't get up early. So don't expect to be out for early morning trips, if you eat there. Every morning we woke up, we had to wake the staff up to open the doors.

Staff? Unfriendly as. Upon checking out, they wanted a sum for the 3rd person even though there was no extra bed.

Very boisterous staff, shouting, etc.

I can heartily not recommend this hotel. Its got a good location in the old quarter, but seriously, the hassles alone are not worth it

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank ccharles_byte
aUSTRALIA
Reviewed 13 January 2008

No prearranged airport pickup. When we arrived late at night the booked room even with our confirmation voucher did not exist and we were sent to another hotel. The next day we were shown a dirty noisy dingy room. We had to threaten to call the police to get our passports back Other people were fighting with the rude unhelpful lady on the desk.Dont believe the Lonely Planet as it is out of date. This is a no stay hotel.

Stayed December 2007
6 Thank ELANORA
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 3 January 2008

This is only a small hotel so it is wise to book ahead. The value for money was very good. It is in a good location in the Old Quarter. We didnt have problems with noise from the roads but it is on a busy street. When we returned to the hotel they were fully booked at showed us a 'sister' hotel but this was not as good.

Breakfast and internet were included.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Barcelona
Reviewed 20 June 2007

After reading the "objective" travel guide Lonely planet, I booked a room at the Stars hotel and after one night I decided to leave it. In fact,
on the same street (just 10m away from the Stars Hotel) there is really good hotel "Hanoi Guest House" which is really good (and even cheaper!!!)

Problems at the stars hotel:

- Very, but very unfriendly staff
- They overcharge you for all (a water is about 8000 dong and they charge you 16000)
- The rooms are not that good. I was on the top flor and the toilet was tiny (I hadn't enough space to get a shower and everything got wet) and the floor was full of water for 2 hours!!!

• Liked — situation
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank spanishgirl25
Asia
Reviewed 14 May 2007

I chose Stars hotel in Hanoi mainly based on the positive review in Lonely Planet. I know now that Lonely Planet is not always accurate.

The hotel is clean and reasonable for the money that I paid. However, please be careful of your belongings. Always keep them locked up and do not leave anything lying around. I made some purchases on my first day and left the bag on a chair. Subsequent purchases were kept and locked in my luggage each time I went out. I only realised that my first day purchase was missing after I left Hanoi. The purchases were not expensive but it's something that cannot be replaced easily. Also, the management of the hotel has the responsibility to ensure that there is some level of security accorded to guests when their staff makes up the rooms daily.

When I checked in, the reception asked for my passport and they wanted to keep it for me. I am very glad I insisted that I have my passport with me at all times.

So please beware and be careful about your belongings.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KrisW
Adelaide
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We have just recently stayed at the Stars Hotel in Hanoi, as listed first in the budget section of the current Lonely Planet.
After enquiring about rooms we checked in to a deluxe room that was rather small and very noisy, with a small balcony overlooking the old quarter. Halfway through the night the air conditioner stopped working making the room really stuffy. The next morning when I woke up I discovered that I had been bitten by bed bugs throughout the evening. When we mentioned to the person at reception about both of these problems they did not seem overly concerned, and there was no question of a reduced charge for the room.

Stayed April 2007