“Milky Way Service (Light years beyond 5 star, I mean)”
Review of Hanoi Larosa Hotel

Hanoi Larosa Hotel
Ranked #130 of 592 Hotels in Hanoi
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Milky Way Service (Light years beyond 5 star, I mean)”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hanoi Larosa (HLR) for a total of five nights in mid-January 2014. I chose the HLR after long searching because based on the map I thought it might be central to all the sites the great city of Hanoi has to offer. The hotel had only just opened 2-3 months prior to our arrival, so it only had 3 reviews, but all of them were very positive. I usually only book newer but more frequently reviewed places, but I took a chance and went for it for the first 2 nights of out stay, thinking that if it was good I would book again after we returned from a two-day tour of Halong Bay.

Upon arrival to HLR, I found that I needn’t have worried about it at all; indeed, while exploring Halong Bay I found myself thinking about how great HLR is, especially because of the management and staff!

First, the location and the property itself . . . as mentioned, I chose HLR because I thought (based on the map) that it might be central to sites in Hanoi. It is! My wife and I tend to avoid staying in major tourist areas, and we like to walk about to get a feel for cities, so the location was especially perfect for us. That said, the walk to both the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and the main restaurant areas is only about 12-15 minutes in their respective directions from the hotel. The Temple of Literature is literally just down the street and the Hoa Lo Prison is about 10 minutes. All can also be accessed by readily available taxi as well, of course.

I’ve saved the BEST for last in writing this review because the management and staff at HLR are the BEST! I travel a lot internationally and stay in a lot of hotels (19 in the last 3 months . . . and counting), and I have never encountered such service as at HLR. The key, perhaps, is that the general manager and the front manager both worked as managers for the Intercontinental Hotel for many years. They bring the level and quality of service expected at an international 5 star to this nice, calm and efficient 3 star in Hanoi. Indeed, it is 5 star service at a 3 star price at a brand new hotel!!

To be honest, the service was far above 5 star . . . it was galactic!! For example, I had a bit of a back and neck issue when I arrived to Hanoi that I just mentioned in passing upon arrival. The general manager not only told me of a famed traditional Vietnamese chiropractic-like doctor in Hanoi, he offered to return that evening with his personal car to take me over to the doctor, wait with me, explain my situation and then bring me back to the hotel. I took him up on it, and it was fantastic . . . and I never would have known about let alone found this doctor without the service ethic of Nam, the manager, who continuously went out of his way to make sure our stay was excellent.

Upon returning from Halong Bay, the general manager (Nam) asked me about my neck and recommended that I go back to the doctor. He was, however, unavailable to take me, so he appointed one of the staff to take me over on her scooter (or in a taxi . . . my choice). Lovely and sweet Hwa was so kind and took me, waited and brought me back. Indeed, all of the staff were so kind and amazingly helpful. Like I said, never have I had such great, personalized service at a hotel.

Another point, Christiana, the front manager, was no less lovely and sweet and kind and helpful. I asked about train tickets, and she took it upon herself to not only look into all of the booking options but also to be sure that the tickets were delivered and that the best available options were given to us at the cheapest price possible. I almost used a travel agency, which would have been a mistake because the tickets she found were without service charge and ended up being over $60 cheaper!! Honestly, I think I could have asked her to do anything, and she would have found a way . . . and gone out of her way!!

And there was such laughter we had. Indeed, the staff was very professional, but they were also very warm and welcoming, again adding to the one of a kind experience the Larosa was. I found myself wanting to go down to hang out at the desk just to talk to Christiana, Hwa, Nam and the rest of the staff. We had great conversations that always ended up with a round of laughter, so light and easy . . . so fun and enjoyable!

Oh, and the breakfast/buffet . . . my wife and I are vegetarians, so we often find it difficult to eat from buffets or order off menus that are very meat heavy (as northern Asia tends to be). Not a worry at the HLR because they (again) went out of their way to make sure we had food we could eat . . . and plenty of it, preparing special salads and other dishes just for us. And on a morning when my wife was not feeling well, they set aside the breakfast for her to eat at her convenience after the breakfast had finished, assuring us that it was not a problem at all. As I say, out of their way . . .

OK, so this review is long overdue, and I apologize to the management and staff at the Hanoi Larosa for not having posted it sooner . . . but I want to assure them (and any of you reading this) that they are not and will not be forgotten. If I ever I have the privilege of coming back to Hanoi (and I certainly will), I very much look forward to staying again at this fantastic hotel, where the facilities are comfortable and well-appointed and the service is well-beyond 5 star . . . it’s galactic!!

Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Early_Gregory

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

clean, modern, spacious, light and airy - we stayed here for one night before heading off for a couple of tours, then returned for a further three nights - and the hotel upgraded our room AND were happy to hold our luggage for the week in between our stays with them!
All the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive and bent over backwards with whatever we needed. The restaurant is excellent, as are the other facilities.
The only minor issues we encountered related to the volume of available hot water at times and WiFi coverage in certain areas. We included these in a feedback form when we left and within a day or two the hotel management had personally emailed to thank us for the feedback and let us know they were looking into it.
We would definitely stay here again and/or recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tammy C
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 February 2014

stayed 2 nights in larosa, had a very good sleep there. the hotel is very new, bedroom and bathroom are both important for travellers, and larosa make them very comfortable. the only drawback is it is near to Hanoi train station because the train horn are quite loud. However, for those who are wish to use the train service, it is an advantages. Buffet served in 6am (GMT +7) and in the authentic Vietnam style. very friendly staff. Would definitely stayed there again when visit Hanoi in the future.

Room Tip: get a room at higher level for a cleaner and cool air. probably get the room numbered from x01-x04...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ckkhoo
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Much comfortable than my previous hotel in Old Quarters. Staffs were nice and friendly esp the ones serving me the reception. They can speak and have a good command of English (probably other languages as well). I could hear noise from the traffic (horns) and from the trains but I was okay with that.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights on the tour of Vietnam. Very close to the railway station. We returm from Sapa early in the morning around 6.00am and were very pleased to have an early check-in after a long night on the train. Rooms are clean and good with all the basic amenities that a traveller need. WIFI was working fine.

Room Tip: The twin rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Palacios, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed for two weeks total in Vietnam traveling from the south, to the north, and working our way back south...We stayed here for 3 nights and it was the best hotel we stayed in during our whole trip. The hotel itself is very clean and modern. Excellent service not just on the initial check in but each and every time you made contact with ANY of the staff, all were professional, respectful, and courteous. One of the staff even rode with us and took care of the cab fare because we wanted to get in on a tour that had started that morning and the tour was running late coming by to pick us up right before lunch. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough...

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if possible as they are bigger...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in December. The first night I stayed in the Deluxe room facing the train station. It was really noisy due to the trains tooting (they hold their toots for a long time) and the train station announcements on the loud speakers. We could not sleep well. The furnishings were quite modern, however. The emergency stairwells is outside the room, although this initially looked like your own balcony.

The next day we advised if there was another Deluxe room facing the other direction away from the train station the staff were very accommodating and did provide us another room. However, this exceeded our expectation as it was a suite room. The description is exactly as mentioned the review before my one. It was very quiet... could barely hear the train toot.

Breakfast was mixed. If you went late the food was lukewarm and the cut fruit not replenished. If you went early (ie - 630am) the food was piping hot and the food was great. They could be more variety though with the food. Personally too much of that deli meat selection which might suit Europeans more. The layout was all buffet style with an omelette and pho station to cook the order. The pho bowls were pre-prepared... it didn't look appetizing that way so I didn't try. But it was still an OK breakfast. Nothing too bad to report but nothing outstanding either.

In terms of price the hotel was great and for our trip the best value for money. If we did not get the suite upgrade then it would still be an above average stay based on the price of the hotel. The gym was just a multi-station machine, bike, cross-trainer and treadmill. There was a punching bag outside too.

The hotel offers 2 pc workstations downstairs where you can surf the web and also printing was free of charge. Private transfer from hotel was quoted at 450,000 dong. We took a meter taxi instead and it was around 260,000 dong but we just gave him 300,000 dong. The drive was manic though... need to hold you breath a few times with all the crazy Hanoi driving.

Location I didn't think was that great. It's located towards the south west of the lake. If you were going to take a train somewhere then it would be great. Otherwise to get to the old quarters you need to walk 20mins. That's not bad either as there's plenty of things to see but doing this 2 - 3 times a day is tiring.

If you wanted to see tourist sites such as the masouleum, temple of literature, museum then this location is good.

All in all based on price paid ($35 AUD) this is incredible value for money hotel in my opinion as I got a complimentary upgrade. The Deluxe rooms facing the train station could be an issue for people. I would still rate the Deluxe room facing the train station at $35 AUD a very good price still even without the suite upgrade. The train noise and location are the only real question marks but of course these are inconveniences that can be worked around (ie - ear plugs, plan out your day itinerary so you don't have to walk back to room that many times throughout the day)

Room Tip: If booking Deluxe room ask to face on side away from the Train station. If the suite room is not muc...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple