“Fantastic!”

Ranked #124 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Kampong Thom, Cambodia
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Our hotel lost power so they booked us into the Larosa. We were given a deluxe suite, with a leather sofa and armchair. By far the best room we had on our month long Vietnam holiday but also out of our usual budget range. The room was very comfortable, with a full bath tub. The bed was soft and we had a great nights sleep. Breakfast menu was varied and delicious. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of Hanoi Railway Station so would be an ideal choice for anyone continuing onto Sapa, as we did. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My boyfriend and I came Vietnam for our vacation. We booked this hotel and we were so glade that we did. Everything was perfect. They gave an excellent services, all the staff are very friendly and helpful, especially there was one young guy named Antony Pham. He helped us a lot and be able to answer all our questions as long as taking our request seriously. Thank Larosa Hotel for such a great experience for us. we definitely come back next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 23 March 2014

La Rosa (or Larosa) is very close to the train station and the Temple of Literature and the Old Town. A modern building, with double glazing so very quiet, nice interior finish work, a comfortable bed, good towels... I would say easily 3 stars or possibly 4 stars on a Western scale. All for a perfectly reasonable price.

The breakfast provided a wide variety of things to eat, including Chinese and Western standards like boiled eggs, toast, noodles and soup, fresh vegetables, cheese, etc; but I personally did not enjoy this food or the coffee, or the sterile atmosphere of the restaurant on the top floor. There is a nice old woman near the train tracks who sells fresh coconuts however, so I got a few of these in the morning to supplement our breakfast.

There is street food nearly everywhere a short walk out the door; as well as relatively westernized/clean looking cafes, if you walk to the right to the street called Văn Miếu. During our stay my wife was pregnant, so we had dual eating requirements; she would not eat dirty street food, so nearly every meal we hunted separately and ate twice. It was a nice variety and fun.

I loved walking through Hanoi's old town, the hotel lying more or less within its perimeter. Each street seems to specialize in a different industry. Near the hotel are the meat grinder and electric motor businesses.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hanoi Larosa (HLR) for a total of five nights in mid-January 2014. I chose the HLR after long searching because based on the map I thought it might be central to all the sites the great city of Hanoi has to offer. The hotel had only just opened 2-3 months prior to our arrival, so it only had 3 reviews, but all of them were very positive. I usually only book newer but more frequently reviewed places, but I took a chance and went for it for the first 2 nights of out stay, thinking that if it was good I would book again after we returned from a two-day tour of Halong Bay.

Upon arrival to HLR, I found that I needn’t have worried about it at all; indeed, while exploring Halong Bay I found myself thinking about how great HLR is, especially because of the management and staff!

First, the location and the property itself . . . as mentioned, I chose HLR because I thought (based on the map) that it might be central to sites in Hanoi. It is! My wife and I tend to avoid staying in major tourist areas, and we like to walk about to get a feel for cities, so the location was especially perfect for us. That said, the walk to both the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and the main restaurant areas is only about 12-15 minutes in their respective directions from the hotel. The Temple of Literature is literally just down the street and the Hoa Lo Prison is about 10 minutes. All can also be accessed by readily available taxi as well, of course.

I’ve saved the BEST for last in writing this review because the management and staff at HLR are the BEST! I travel a lot internationally and stay in a lot of hotels (19 in the last 3 months . . . and counting), and I have never encountered such service as at HLR. The key, perhaps, is that the general manager and the front manager both worked as managers for the Intercontinental Hotel for many years. They bring the level and quality of service expected at an international 5 star to this nice, calm and efficient 3 star in Hanoi. Indeed, it is 5 star service at a 3 star price at a brand new hotel!!

To be honest, the service was far above 5 star . . . it was galactic!! For example, I had a bit of a back and neck issue when I arrived to Hanoi that I just mentioned in passing upon arrival. The general manager not only told me of a famed traditional Vietnamese chiropractic-like doctor in Hanoi, he offered to return that evening with his personal car to take me over to the doctor, wait with me, explain my situation and then bring me back to the hotel. I took him up on it, and it was fantastic . . . and I never would have known about let alone found this doctor without the service ethic of Nam, the manager, who continuously went out of his way to make sure our stay was excellent.

Upon returning from Halong Bay, the general manager (Nam) asked me about my neck and recommended that I go back to the doctor. He was, however, unavailable to take me, so he appointed one of the staff to take me over on her scooter (or in a taxi . . . my choice). Lovely and sweet Hwa was so kind and took me, waited and brought me back. Indeed, all of the staff were so kind and amazingly helpful. Like I said, never have I had such great, personalized service at a hotel.

Another point, Christiana, the front manager, was no less lovely and sweet and kind and helpful. I asked about train tickets, and she took it upon herself to not only look into all of the booking options but also to be sure that the tickets were delivered and that the best available options were given to us at the cheapest price possible. I almost used a travel agency, which would have been a mistake because the tickets she found were without service charge and ended up being over $60 cheaper!! Honestly, I think I could have asked her to do anything, and she would have found a way . . . and gone out of her way!!

And there was such laughter we had. Indeed, the staff was very professional, but they were also very warm and welcoming, again adding to the one of a kind experience the Larosa was. I found myself wanting to go down to hang out at the desk just to talk to Christiana, Hwa, Nam and the rest of the staff. We had great conversations that always ended up with a round of laughter, so light and easy . . . so fun and enjoyable!

Oh, and the breakfast/buffet . . . my wife and I are vegetarians, so we often find it difficult to eat from buffets or order off menus that are very meat heavy (as northern Asia tends to be). Not a worry at the HLR because they (again) went out of their way to make sure we had food we could eat . . . and plenty of it, preparing special salads and other dishes just for us. And on a morning when my wife was not feeling well, they set aside the breakfast for her to eat at her convenience after the breakfast had finished, assuring us that it was not a problem at all. As I say, out of their way . . .

OK, so this review is long overdue, and I apologize to the management and staff at the Hanoi Larosa for not having posted it sooner . . . but I want to assure them (and any of you reading this) that they are not and will not be forgotten. If I ever I have the privilege of coming back to Hanoi (and I certainly will), I very much look forward to staying again at this fantastic hotel, where the facilities are comfortable and well-appointed and the service is well-beyond 5 star . . . it’s galactic!!

Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Early_Gregory
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

clean, modern, spacious, light and airy - we stayed here for one night before heading off for a couple of tours, then returned for a further three nights - and the hotel upgraded our room AND were happy to hold our luggage for the week in between our stays with them!
All the staff were friendly, helpful and attentive and bent over backwards with whatever we needed. The restaurant is excellent, as are the other facilities.
The only minor issues we encountered related to the volume of available hot water at times and WiFi coverage in certain areas. We included these in a feedback form when we left and within a day or two the hotel management had personally emailed to thank us for the feedback and let us know they were looking into it.
We would definitely stay here again and/or recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tammy C
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 February 2014

stayed 2 nights in larosa, had a very good sleep there. the hotel is very new, bedroom and bathroom are both important for travellers, and larosa make them very comfortable. the only drawback is it is near to Hanoi train station because the train horn are quite loud. However, for those who are wish to use the train service, it is an advantages. Buffet served in 6am (GMT +7) and in the authentic Vietnam style. very friendly staff. Would definitely stayed there again when visit Hanoi in the future.

Room Tip: get a room at higher level for a cleaner and cool air. probably get the room numbered from x01-x04...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ckkhoo
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Much comfortable than my previous hotel in Old Quarters. Staffs were nice and friendly esp the ones serving me the reception. They can speak and have a good command of English (probably other languages as well). I could hear noise from the traffic (horns) and from the trains but I was okay with that.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family