“wonderful location, excellent hotel”

The Hanoi Club Hotel & Lake Palais Residences
Ranked #198 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
London, United Kingdom
“wonderful location, excellent hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Situated by west lake, the hotel is 15 min walk from old town but it's location is very very pleasant. The lake area is a refreshing change from thye bustle of the old quarter and also convenient for the HCM mausoleum area. I was very pleased to stay there.
The hotel is excellent and, because it is also a club, it has unusual features like a golf driving range into the lake and many other sports activities.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 544brianR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi/vietnam
Reviewed 2 April 2013

last week there was a fire during the night and the alarm did no work. Luckily there was nobody hurt but it was quite dangerous to everybody. It is not acceptable that a fire alarm did not work and the management just kept quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MacHope
Cao Anh N, Front Office Manager at The Hanoi Club Hotel & Lake Palais Residences, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear vanhiephoang

Thank you very much for staying at The Hanoi Club Hotel & Lake Palais Residences and taking time to write this comment on Tripadvisor.

Please except our sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused when you encountered during your stay with us.

I would like to inform you that the fire alarm did ringing and our staff go and check everywhere and see a little smoke in the room so we did turn off the fire alarm because we know that is small fire and we can handle it. That why we keep quiet and don't want to disturb anybody in the hotel.

We sincerely hope that this experience will not impair your confidence in our hotel. It is our hope that you will give us an opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be at any further assistance please contact me at anytime.

Your sincerely,
Aaron, Nguyen Cao Anh (Mr.)
Assist Front Office Manager
Albany, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The Westlake location is perfect and the hotel is a little retro, but very comfortable. Our room (a "signature room") was very spacious with a great view and comfortable bed and the staff was always polite and helpful. It was a great bargain for the price. The food and service in the Chinese Restaurant was pretty poor, but the downstairs restaurant served a good breakfast.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to upgrade - the standard rooms are small and - well - standard.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjc2013
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The Hanoi Club proved to be a nice getaway from the bustling chaos. The West Lake area is more quiet and more "homey" than Old Quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake areas.

Some pros: Comfortable beds, nice view of both the city and the lake. Service was ok, they tried hard and were quite welcoming. Great location, especially for those who have been to Hanoi more than once.

Cons: The premiere room had a bathtub right in the middle of the room. It was just a little too weird of a set-up. The breakfast is horrible, and the choices for room service weren't too fantastic either.

Room Tip: Get a lakeside view if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank erika824
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

This hotel is not worth the money paid to stay in a four star hotel.
The lobby is always freezing cold, unwelcoming and the staff particularly in the restaurant do not understand the English language well enough to be working in the service industry.
I stayed in the Hanoi Club Hotel with my husband in January 2013, I felt disappointed from the moment I stepped into this facility, the cheap decorations in the lobby for Chinese New Year and the unwelcoming staff who ignored us at the reception desk.

The rooms were not clean; the carpet and couch were filthy and needed to be shampooed thoroughly. The shower and bath were not clean and upon closer inspection, the rest of the furniture in the room was not clean and covered in dust.

The mini bar is a complete rip-off with water costing over 45,000 Dong per bottle. They are completely taking advantage of the guests in overcharging for items in the mini bar and laundry services. The hotel was charging $1USD per sock for washing and the prices increase per item, and not just per item- per type of item! It is ridiculous and we refused to pay $80 per load of washing.

This hotel was very disappointing, especially when we went to check out of the hotel. We paid for everything in cash when purchasing meals from the restaurant and bakery during our stay. When we were being charged for the mini bar I noticed a charge of 485,000 Dong. When I questioned it I was told that this was for breakfast on the first day.
I told the reception staff that we had already paid for this breakfast in cash and they insisted that we hadn't and that we needed to pay for it before we were allowed to check out. I refused as we had already paid for the breakfast (the breakfast was terrible with little variety and there was a dead beetle in my danish). I told the reception staff that I needed to speak to the manager. The manager came out to us and told us that we hadn't paid and that we needed to produce proof for paying for that breakfast, I became very agitated and then opened my bags in the middle of the lobby looking for the receipt. The manager insisted that he can't trust us and that his staff do not make mistakes like this- after 40 minutes of arguing with the staff and manager over the charge, he finally said that he'd waive the charge.

I am most annoyed about the fact that the manager was not listening to me, was rude and insisted that we were lying. He was too proud to admit that this was an issue for him to rectify with his staff, rather than inconveniencing us waiting at the desk for 40 minutes insisting that we pay. If this manager was a manager of a hotel in Australia there would be big problems. The way that we were treated was horribly stressful and the manager and staff were at fault.
Having worked in the hotel industry for 5 star establishments, this situation was not handled well at all. The very fact that I had to raise my voice and argue with the manager to get him to listen to me....

Also, they have a tennis court, but no tennis rackets available to hire at reception.. Which is ridiculous. So if you want to play tennis you have to bring your own racket...I have never heard of anything so ridiculous.

The day spa staff are pleasant and the manager of the day spa was professional, however, during treatments the therapist must have left the room 7 times, which made me angry. The massages are too soft and as a beauty therapist I found it very difficult to enjoy my treatment with freezing cold air conditioning blowing on my body which was only covered with one small towel and the therapist continually leaving the room. The therapist had skills and was well trained, but it was clear that she did not care about the treatment that she was giving me.

We will never stay at this hotel ever again, the manager assured me that his staff speak good English, my reply to that was that English is my first language and actually they do not speak good English, let alone understand 90% of the time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Taylor G
Cao Anh N, Front Office Manager at The Hanoi Club Hotel & Lake Palais Residences, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Taylor

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to post this review on Tripadvisor.

I'm so sorry to know that you were disappointed to stay at The Hanoi Club Hotel. I did look into this matter seriously and when we checked the camera, we found out that you did not pay the Restaurant bill as you mentioned and because you don't want to listen we explain and want to go quickly so we can't show you the camera. However we still let you go without payment.

I understand that we cannot turn back time to show you the true but we do value your feeback and please except our sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused when you encountered during your stay with us.

We sincerely hope that this experience will not impair your confidence in our hotel. It is our hope that you will give us an opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be at any further assistance please contact direct to me at fom@thehanoiclub.com

Your sincerely,
Aaron, Nguyen Cao Anh (Mr.)
Assist Front Office Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The Hanoi Club is slightly out of the way of the hussle and bussle of the everyday life of Hanoi and this is a very good thing. After experiencing the madness of the streets and markets this hotel is a welcoming island of peace. Beautifully decorated and furnished the rooms are spacious and clean. Staff were helpful even though at a disadvantage with English as a distant second language. Very pleasant stay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MPW17
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed in Hanoi Club for one week on a business trip. The rooms are nice except the shower which only has rain fall shower head but no shower head on a hose. This means you first have to adjust the water temperature hiding behind the shower curtain.

Hanoi Club has a well equipped gym and a pool next to the West Lake. Also the Spa is great where I was offered a free foot massage.

Room service was unsatisfactory at the beginning. Two days the room was not cleaned properly. But after complaining at the reception the rooms were made up very nice.

The big disadvantage however was breakfast, which is far from what you would expect from a 4-star breakfast buffet. There is not much choice and the quality of food is average. At least I never came late to the meetings that week because breakfast did not take too long...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business