“good location hotel”
Review of Hoa Linh Hotel

Hoa Linh Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Hoa Linh Hotel
Ranked #306 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 19 March 2009

The Hoa Linh Hotel made staying in Hanoi a pleasure. Their friendly staff speak good English and are always happy to help you. The hotel is situated in a good position making sight seeing, shopping and doing other touristy things a breeze. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank YuShao

Reviewed 28 February 2009

I had stayed at the Hoa Linh before and had a reasonable experience. This last visit was a nightmare. I was a sole adult travelling with three teenage girls. One of the girls left her new camera in the hotel room, and it was stolen. The hotel staff refused to accept that it had most likely been taken by a staff member. They wanted me to make a false complaint that it had been stolen in a public place. I felt intimidated from making a complaint and unsafe. I will never return to this hotel despite its good location.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank AustraliaAthena
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We really enjoyed staying here (great location, good sized room, free internet and breakfast, clean) and tried to book again when we returned from Sapa but they were full unfortunately - but get this - they still let us leave our bags there while we went to Sapa, even though we weren't staying with them upon our return! The tour desk staff could get a bit pushy, but they're just trying to make a living so I don't really begrudge that. All in all, a great place to stay for a good price.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank veedub72
Reviewed 30 November 2008

G.K in Singapore
I have booked this hotel (2 superior twin rooms)through the website address http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/hanoi/hoalinh-hotel.html. My friend and my family have decided to book after reading the good review from this website but too bad that all positive comment had turned to be fake.
Actually we have confimed the booking and taxi pick up from airport via website and they have confirmed via e-mail too.
Upon the arrival of hanoi airport estimated 8pm, we waited for the pick up to send us to hotel but 1/2 an hour gone there is no one show up so we intend to go to that hotel by taxi. At the hotel's reception, when we show them the e-mail (voucher) about the acommodation and the taxi pick up but the staff named Mr Qye (this guy is in night shift) just kept smiling at us and we were told that the room are fully booked except one room double bed that 2 of us can stay and the rest of 2 of them that he want to take them to Stars hotel nearby and next day transfer us back to this hotel at 8pm with all rooms ready.We are so angry with such arrangement and have argument with him but it is so danger to go separate way so 4 of us insist to squeeze into the 1 standard double room. The standard double room is old , small and only enough to place 1 single matress and not much space to walk.
On the next morning, Mr Qye has gone back and other lady staff told us that the rooms can only be ready at 12pm instead.
Not only this bad incident, however we have find out the dishonesty of Mr Qye. On the first night when our vietnamese friend called us at around 11pm, he did not put thru the line to our room. He told her that we have slept which is not true as we are still awake during that time.
Actually we need to meet up one of our vietnamese friend on the next day at 530pm but she cannot make it on time so she has called the hotel to leave message at the reception. But Mr Qye did not convey the message. Worst of all, he saw us waiting at the front reception and pretended nothing happen even we asked him to call this line to my friend. The strange thing is that he even know our friend name without us telling.
On the last day, this dishonest man still want to charge us one extra room rate - US$22 for first night although we stay in one room,of course we told him that this charges are incorrect then he compromise with it.
With such bad incident, it is highly not recommended to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank AmazingSingapore
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We booked a superior double at $US22 per night, initially for 2 nights having planed to go to SaPa. The booking was made after seeing reviews posted on the Hotels-in-Vietnam site. Our daughter suggested checking Trip Advisor which revealed a mix of opinions, although mostly positive. Also, one reviewer stated that Hotels-in -Vietnam is located within the Hoa Linh (it is). We decided to go ahead with the booking anyway; sometimes the unpredictable can add a little spice to the trip.

We found the hotel to be well placed in the bustle of the Old Quarter providing quick access to the lake and markets and a 10 minute walk to the French Quarter - also to the excellent Minh's Jazz Club just around the corner where we caught Minh's students chasing hot Coltraine explorations.

The wooden floor room with high ceiling was a reasonable size with air conditioning, fan, fridge, TV and access to internet via computer which is a must when a mother must keep tabs on her son at the Oktoberfest. It was clean with good linen on the large bed and the bathroom was also a reasonable size and clean with hot water. This, together with the excellent breakfast, provided substantial value. The staff we found to be obliging, happy and friendly, indeed the boys would often sing to themselves while about their duties.

We booked the SaPa rail fare and accommodation elsewhere, a spur of the moment decision while we were out, and we booked a room at Hoa Linh for our return to enable us to leave our luggage there. On return we decided to book the Ha Long Bay trip through the hotel. This turned out to be excellent value in terms of accommodation on the boat, good meals and a diversion to spectacular caves which I couldn't recall being mentioned in the brochure. Also others on the trip had in fact paid $US20 more at their hotel. On early morning return we bought breakfast lakeside which cost about $US12 (for two) and was not as good as that offered by Hoa Linh.

Because of the excursions to SaPA, Ha Long Bay and our neice joining us for a night we stayed in four different rooms at Hoa Linh. All were spotless and well appointed for this class of accommodation. Also during our stay we checked out four other hotels in this class, The Ritz, Prince 2, Hotel Des Artistes and another, the name of which I can't recall and for varying reasons, rooms too small, location, price or a bit shabby we thought that Hoa Linh offered more, for us; your needs might differ.

You will find travellers complaining about 5 star accommodation; there is always another side to the prism of satisfaction, or discontent. From our experience here, we were pleased by the level of service (and a smile generates a smile), the location and the value for money.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We chose the Hoa Linh because of the location, the quaintness and the terrific reviews on trip advisor. It turned out to be the worst hotel we stayed in.
Firstly the room, a deluxe room at front of hotel, there were power points and old light switches all over the place, we're still not sure what they were connected to. The bathroom was very basic and a bad smell came out of the drain - which made gurgling noises when someone showered in the bathroom above then drain water came out the pipes all over our bathroom floor - when we informed management they sent someone up to look, and that's exactly what he did, look and then shrug shoulders and walk out.
We found the staff to be very cool towards us once they realised we weren't booking any tours with them. We had booked a Halong Bay tour and were leaving our bags at Hoa Linh overnight and coming back to spend one more night with them. Silly us fell for the "you pay for your room all together before you go to Halong Bay so we can keep your bags here" trick. On arriving back from Halong Bay our room had been sold, and they were full. Of course they could send us their "sister hotel" across the other side of town. After much discussion they called a taxi for another hotel, a better room they said. On arrival this room had no windows and was musty and smelly so after a call to Hoa Linh we then were made to walk 3 blocks to another hotel. By this stage were were tired so we took the room. The hotel was a welcome change however it was a standard room worth $20USD and we had paid $35USD.
On arrival home from Vietnam the Hoa Linh have agreed to refund the paid room but 2 weeks later still no refund.
I think there are far better hotels for the price and Hoa Linh could do with updating the rooms and have a few lessons in customer service.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank lindat44
Reviewed 10 November 2008

I initially booked five nights in the Hoa Linh after viewing some great photos and reading some excellent reviews. I chose this hotel after viewing around 20 hotels online. I decided to treat myself and booked their "deluxe" room which looked amazing with an impressive balcony onto the street.
First of all, the free taxi was not free at all, I had to pay the driver $15 on arrival. On producing my booking form, I was handed key ?02. The manager then muttered something in Vietnamese and my key was exchanged for ?08, a back room which is accessed by a different staircase. It was tiny, dingy and shabby. The aircon was cracked and taped up with barely a whisper of air coming through it, also making dangerous electrical noises. There were two electric fans in the room, both of which were broken. The advertised "minibar" was empty and dirty and not even switched on. The bathroom was dingy with bugs crawling about, and desperately needed a new shower unit. The advertised tea/coffee facilities and computer were non-existent, and the WIFI access did not work. My "balcony" was six inches wide and inaccessible due to the aircon unit, which took up the entire balcony. The view was completely blocked by immediately adjacent buildings. I complained and the manager promised to give me a better room the next day. The next day he said exactly the same thing, so I payed for one night (charged at the deluxe rate!) and left a tip for the staff who could not be blamed for the manager's dishonest and unhelpful manner. I left and wandered the streets with all my luggage looking for another hotel.
If the manager deems you worthy of one of the front rooms, then the Hoa Linh might be as good as the reviews claim. I was not given the chance to find out. Avoid the back rooms at all cost. Over the following month I travelled the length of Vietnam, sometimes staying in incredibly basic and even dangerous guest houses, but the Hoa Linh sticks in my mind as being the worst.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo