“Great stay, awesome location”
Review of Especen Hotel

Especen Hotel
Ranked #203 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay, awesome location”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent two night at the Especen Hotel and we were really impressed. Large, clean room, brilliant location. The staff were friendly, helpful and always smiling. This is a simple hotel with all you need at a great price. Was recommended to stay here from a friend and would certainly recommend it myself. We stayed in room 600, and although it was a hike up the stairs, we were amazed at how quiet it was, thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
Jiaxing, China
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Especen Hotel on two separate occasions. Both times staff were so kind, friendly, caring and helpful.
My room is nice, clean and comfortable with TV, A/C, private bathroom with hot water. Great price.
Great location just a 5 minuters walk to the Hoan Kiem Lake.
There's no swimming pool or fitness center there but you cannot find anything better at that so cheap.
I would definitely come back there.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the superior double room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LeeTaoWan
Manolo Fortich, Philippines
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my friends stayed here for 3 days and it was great! The staffs were friendly and efficient. The rooms (except for the glass shower door that was quite revealing) were great and spacious, the beds big, comfortable and soft. Everything was clean. Everybody in the hotel helped us with: booking our Halong bay tour, exchanging our money, pointing us in the right direction of where to eat, what to do and where to see the sites Hanoi has to offer, and even helped us book a car to take us around the city sites. The hotel location was also a good one cause It is near the Old Quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake. I would certainly stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kharla D
Beijing, China
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Excellent room quality. The superior double room even better than deluxe rooms from other hotels. Price is so cheap. Book room so easy without deposit. Convenient location near the Cathedral, cafe, restaurant, shop...

Room Tip: Superior double room is the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hongyong
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. Even though I reserved a ground floor room, they put me on the third floor. The room smelled of smoke, and the worker who took me to my room apologized, but there was no evidence they had attempted to air out the room.

The staff was very pushy about getting me to book a day tour with the company they are associated with, and they were very reluctant to tell me the location of the places the tour went, some of which I did want to visit. They also did not seem very knowledgeable about the Hanoi area. When I asked for recommendations for places to eat, they only offered one, and it was in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go after lunch.

I did have one redeeming experience with the staff. As the last part of the day tour the hotel talked me into booking, I took a rickshaw ride around Old Quarter before returning to my hotel. When I arrived, I tried to give the driver a 10,000VND tip (the tour guide suggested a 1USD tip, or 21,000VND). The driver refused and said I needed to give him 50,000VND. I knew the driver had already been paid, and I refused. After arguing with him for a minute, two hotel workers came outside. They translated that the driver said the tour guide told him I would pay 50,000VND. I said the tour guide had already paid the driver, and I was just trying to give a tip, which by then I had withdrawn. However, they believed me, took me inside, and made the rickshaw driver leave.

Unfortunately, my last impression of the hotel was not a good one. I asked them to arrange at taxi to the airport at 7a.m. I had a flight to Malaysia at 9:20a.m. and the hotel worker assured me it only took 30 minutes to reach the airport. I asked for the taxi two days before my departure and confirmed it verbally with them multiple times after that. When 7:15a.m. rolled around, I was forced to wake up the worker sleeping on the floor of the lobby. He made multiple phone calls, and I didn’t get inside a taxi until 7:30a.m. The actual time to the airport was 60 minutes, and with the late arrival of the taxi, I almost missed the check-in time for my flight.

All in all, it was a fine room with an ensuite bathroom, air con, and TV, but I don’t think I’ll be staying there again.

Visited June 2014.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Just a block or so from the cathedral, it occupies a couple buildings. Comfortable beds, hot showers, fridge, heat & air conditioning. Plus a good selection of English TV for when you just need to chill out. Beware of nearby copycat hotel with the same name. It's less comfy and more expensive.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Myself and partner stayed here for 3 weeks whilst trying to find our own house.
During our time here we didn't have any trouble at all. The hotel is in a perfect location.
The first room we stayed in was $18 on the top floor, it was nice and clean, had a flat screen T.V and fridge, the only problem for us was that there was no outside window with no natural light, hence taking a while to recover from jet lag.
We soon moved to a different room which had a balcony and was lovely and bright, well worth the extra dollars.
We loved it here. All the staff we're really friendly, helpful and trustworthy.
We especially want to thank the young guy, Chien as he went out of his way to help us giving us advice and tips and making our stay a lot more pleasurable with his cheeky banter!
We would defiantly recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: If its just the one night and your on a budget, the $18 dollar room is fine, if your going to stay m...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple