“Didn't come across well”
Review of Especen Hotel

Especen Hotel
Ranked #211 of 592 Hotels in Hanoi
Newcastle upon tyne
“Didn't come across well”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay here purely because it was recommended in the lonely planet book.

First we looked the room and it was ok, so then we went on to ask about the price, the best they could do for a double room was $11 each (NOT including breakfast) so we decided to look around instead and walked up the road to Hisbicous Hotel. The room there was a little nicer and $10 each per night including breakfast. So we went for that and were extremely glad that Especen didn't work out for us because the owner of Hisbicous turned out extremely helpful and generous to us!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
especen, Owner at Especen Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I think this review has at least 2 problem so it should be removed.
Firstly, we have no room at $11/night. I think the guest may came across to a WRONG or FAKE hotel.
Secondly, the guest said that he had stayed at the Hanoi Hibiscus Hotel (NOT Especen hotel) so the review should be appeared at the Hanoi Hibiscus Hotel instead.
I had owned the Hanoi Hibiscus Hotel for 2 years but now I had sold it to other. It is don't refers to Especen hotel anymore.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We loved staying in Especen. We had a free upgrade to the family room, the first time we stayed here. Incredible spacious room (especially compared to the room we had in Hong Kong :-)), with a balcony that looks out on the little streets around our hotel. The location is great. Very central, but not in the most tourist part in town. For this price we recommend it to everyone who likes to travel on a budget, but likes comfort.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erik_Kiers
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent two night at the Especen Hotel and we were really impressed. Large, clean room, brilliant location. The staff were friendly, helpful and always smiling. This is a simple hotel with all you need at a great price. Was recommended to stay here from a friend and would certainly recommend it myself. We stayed in room 600, and although it was a hike up the stairs, we were amazed at how quiet it was, thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jiaxing, China
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Especen Hotel on two separate occasions. Both times staff were so kind, friendly, caring and helpful.
My room is nice, clean and comfortable with TV, A/C, private bathroom with hot water. Great price.
Great location just a 5 minuters walk to the Hoan Kiem Lake.
There's no swimming pool or fitness center there but you cannot find anything better at that so cheap.
I would definitely come back there.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the superior double room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LeeTaoWan
Manolo Fortich, Philippines
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my friends stayed here for 3 days and it was great! The staffs were friendly and efficient. The rooms (except for the glass shower door that was quite revealing) were great and spacious, the beds big, comfortable and soft. Everything was clean. Everybody in the hotel helped us with: booking our Halong bay tour, exchanging our money, pointing us in the right direction of where to eat, what to do and where to see the sites Hanoi has to offer, and even helped us book a car to take us around the city sites. The hotel location was also a good one cause It is near the Old Quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake. I would certainly stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kharla D
Beijing, China
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Excellent room quality. The superior double room even better than deluxe rooms from other hotels. Price is so cheap. Book room so easy without deposit. Convenient location near the Cathedral, cafe, restaurant, shop...

Room Tip: Superior double room is the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hongyong
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. Even though I reserved a ground floor room, they put me on the third floor. The room smelled of smoke, and the worker who took me to my room apologized, but there was no evidence they had attempted to air out the room.

The staff was very pushy about getting me to book a day tour with the company they are associated with, and they were very reluctant to tell me the location of the places the tour went, some of which I did want to visit. They also did not seem very knowledgeable about the Hanoi area. When I asked for recommendations for places to eat, they only offered one, and it was in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go after lunch.

I did have one redeeming experience with the staff. As the last part of the day tour the hotel talked me into booking, I took a rickshaw ride around Old Quarter before returning to my hotel. When I arrived, I tried to give the driver a 10,000VND tip (the tour guide suggested a 1USD tip, or 21,000VND). The driver refused and said I needed to give him 50,000VND. I knew the driver had already been paid, and I refused. After arguing with him for a minute, two hotel workers came outside. They translated that the driver said the tour guide told him I would pay 50,000VND. I said the tour guide had already paid the driver, and I was just trying to give a tip, which by then I had withdrawn. However, they believed me, took me inside, and made the rickshaw driver leave.

Unfortunately, my last impression of the hotel was not a good one. I asked them to arrange at taxi to the airport at 7a.m. I had a flight to Malaysia at 9:20a.m. and the hotel worker assured me it only took 30 minutes to reach the airport. I asked for the taxi two days before my departure and confirmed it verbally with them multiple times after that. When 7:15a.m. rolled around, I was forced to wake up the worker sleeping on the floor of the lobby. He made multiple phone calls, and I didn’t get inside a taxi until 7:30a.m. The actual time to the airport was 60 minutes, and with the late arrival of the taxi, I almost missed the check-in time for my flight.

All in all, it was a fine room with an ensuite bathroom, air con, and TV, but I don’t think I’ll be staying there again.

Visited June 2014.