Especen Hotel
US$62
US$132
US$110
Agoda.com
Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa(Hanoi)
US$74
US$77
US$72
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe main hotelhalong bayold quarterbudget hotelmini fridgeair confamily roomother hotelsairport transferhotel roomno elevatorstayed here for nightsreception deskcomfortable bedsrecommend this hotel to anyonephohoan kiem lake
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My wife and I walked past St Joseph cathedral and came to a lane that looks like a backpackers lane, full of B&Bs and guesthouses. We actually booked a room at Especen through internet. For $18 a night with no breakfast, we felt like we were slightly overcharged but we agreed to stay there for a night as we didn't want to waste more time finding better place to sleep.

It was a standard room, pretty small to walk around in the room. It came equipped with a queen-sized bed with very thin blanket on it, and small-sized tv on a wooden tv rack. Since our room was on the front side of the hotel, we could hear a lot of noise coming from motorbikes passing by. Luckily the lane is very narrow for a car.

The toilet inside our room was not the cleanest. It looks very old and we were only supplied with two small bar soaps and used plastic comb. Some stains can also be spotted on towels the hotel provided. Hot shower is available and water pressure was good.

There was internet facility at ground floor but only one computer was available. I didn't have any chance to use it so I have no idea how the speed was. The staffs were not so friendly. They will reply when asked though but there will be no travel tips whatsoever.

You can book tour packages from the hotel but we didn't as we found cheaper options somewhere on the same alley. The next morning, we checked out early and moved to other hotel. To me there's nothing to shout about this Especen hotel although it's recommended by Lonely Planet.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
especen, Owner at Especen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

Well, when you said that “It was a standard room, pretty small to walk around in the room. It came equipped with a queen-sized bed with very thin blanket on it, and small-sized TV on a wooden TV rack.” I can sure 100% that you had came to a wrong hotel with name Especen already, it is just some steps distant from my hotel only, it uses some old 17 inch TV put on TV rack.

We provide a thin blanket & a thick blanket for each bed. All our rooms have a 21 inch or 29 inch TV included. The standard double room $18/night has a 21 inch TV with International cable channel. We putted TV on the wardrobe & a fridge in the wardrobe. We have no double room with TV on any kind of rack.

We have only TWO addresses at 28 Tho Xuong street (original name was Especen No 11 hotel) & 41 Ngo Huyen street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi city, Vietnam. Please note that all other address with name Especen is NOT my hotel & may not belong to the Original Especen hotel chain. Be careful to choose the right one!

Reviewed 10 May 2010

We spent 3 weeks in Vietnam and stayed in different types of hotel. But this hotel - the worst of all. First time there was no hot water at all, then AC was broken in the night, our little baggage we stayed in the hotel (as it was advised) were lost, pick up service doesn't work.
For 18$ per double room - it's too much.
+ very noisy

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
especen, Owner at Especen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2010

I've just came back from business trip & so dazed to heard about your serious problems.

I had checked our hotel operated records & found that the driver who did pick up service that date is a newbie & he couldn't manage to found you at the train station; the hot water also had problem at one late night & we had repaired it in early next morning already but we didn't found any record about AC problem.

Anyhow, we must say that is our mistake & we don't deserve to ask you pay for our bad service.
For apologize & as a promise for a better service, I will pay for our mistake. Please contact to me using the COMPLAIN form at the bottom of our official website. You will need to have an account at PayPal so I can send back money to you as well.

Thanks so much for writing review! It makes us doing better service!

Regard
Especen hotel's owner
Tran Hoai Thanh

P/S: For everyone who has any complain about our service, please use the COMPLAIN form at the bottom of our official website, I will solve the problem & answer directly at once.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

We stayed at the Especen 3 times during April using it as a base to explore Hanoi, Sapa and Halong Bay. The reception staff receive mixed feedback from us - 1 of them was great (Michael) and the other one looked like he would rather be doing something else. This hotel was the best value for us during our 4 weeks in Vietnam at 23USD for a room for our family of 5. The hotel was full most of the time we were there and i would recommend bookign ahead.

Pros: value, the Pho stand across the lane had the best pho we ate in Vietnam, and the little shop across the lane had 1.5 litre water bottles for 7000vnd. Michael befriended our family and particularly our 7 year old son - the taxis he booked for us always charged appropriately and he booked our train ride to Hue and saw us right to our carriage. We did not fidn them pushy in terms of booking tours at all. There are several nice eating places very close by including La Place and the Cart.

Cons: these guys will book your tours for you but do not give useful advice on which ones would be good with kids (to be fair they may not know). Proximity to the cathedral meant we were woken by the bell ringing at 5am most nights until we got very used to it. The hotel does not serve breakfast and unless you eat Pho the cafes nearby do not open until 7:30 (Highland Coffee may have been earlier) and as you are waking at 5am that is a long wait for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I was at Especen during the months of Febrary and also March 2010. I enjoyed my stay there. I stayed in their cheapest accomodation (8$/night) which meant no private bathroom (had to share the bathroom with the staff) but still had private room. It was much better deal at Especen when you compared with what you get with the same price at other hotels around the area (compared to the dormitory style of Hanoi Backpacker or private room at Golden Hanoi Plaza). The caveat is that since it is very close to the reception area, it tends to be noisy during the day which was not a problem for me since I worked and was away for most of the day anyways. In essence I essentially got what I paid for. Overall, the hotel is situated in a great location in Hanoi within walking distances of major tourist attractions in a relatively quiet neighborhood. While I was there, there was problems with the internet connection being slow and the WIFI not working half of the time. It is a clean hotel and the staff was helpful and friendly. I particularly like Michael, one of the receptionists, who was particulary helpful and caring.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Competent ands friendly staff who made us very welcome. Easy to come and go either walking or by taxi.
Highly recommended for $21 US