“Best Hotel in Hanoi Old Town”

Oriental Central Hotel
Ranked #17 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Texas,USA
“Best Hotel in Hanoi Old Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have stayed in Hanoi over two dozen times in the past 14 years, and I believe the Oriental Central to be the best I've found. In the heart of the atmospheric Old Town and within a few blocks of Hoan Kiem Lake, it's location can not be beat. The hotel itself is brand new and spotless, with colonial-era photographs in all the public areas and the individual guest rooms. the rooms were well appointed and comfortable, and bathrooms roomy and, again, spotless. The faux antique brass bathroom fixtures were a nice touch also.
The complimentary breakfasts were excellent--with either a buffet or a la carte choices.
But what was most important in my forming an excellent opinion of this hotel was the competence and friendliness of the staff--from "Viet" the manager to the receptionists, waiters, bell hops and room cleaners. All knew their jobs and performed them well. When I developed a toothache Viet did not just recommend a dentist for me, but had me hop on the back of his motorbike and drove me to a dentist and stood by to interpret for me and drive me back. his cost for this service--nothing. He explained: "I must take care of my guests. That's my job."

Room Tip: This is a small "boutique" hotel with a narrow footprint, but it is eight floors high. Roo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked this hotel on the strength of the reviews received and that it was very affordable and those reviews were all spot on.

I prearranged a airport pick up as i was arriving in the evening and just wanted to get to the hotel and as advised the pick up was waiting and a comfortable modern car was waiting for my arrival, on arriving at the hotel we were met with a welcome drink and the most comprehensive check in i've ever experienced in a hotel with a map produced and suggestions given for places to eat and how to get to local attractions. We were leaving the next morning to do a haloing bay cruise but the staff made it clear they would be happy to store our bags as we'd already booked to return to the hotel after our cruise.

The room itself is very comfortable and looks like a lot of thought has gone into the small touches such as welcome chocolates and rose petals on the bed and complimentary items you'd struggle to find in a more expensive hotel. Despite the hotel being located on a very busy road the room itself is very peaceful and enables you to have a good nights sleep.

On returning after our cruise, the staff remembered our name and the laundry we'd deposited on our previous nights stay had been delivered to our room and its little touches like this that make this hotel stand out, we had a small problem with a blocked toilet in our room at around 11pm and as compensation we were given our return transfer to the airport for free, it was just one of those things but the way it was handled illustrates why this is a fantastic place to stay made all the more fantastic by its wonderful staff

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank walnutroof657
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in June. The staff at this hotel cannot be faulted and provide a very friendly, professional service. Brian the manager is extremely helpful and made a point of remembering our names and greeting us using our names each time we saw him. This made the whole stay feel very personal.The young bell boy was very professional and couldn't do enough for us. Brian assisted with the booking for our Halong Bay trip and managed to get us a very good deal on a great boat. They even stored our larger luggage for free while we were away on the three day trip. We had a superior room and this was of a very good standard. I would highly recommend this hotel for its personal service and high standards. In the rooms we got complimentary fruit, biscuits and crisps. When we left the hotel to go on our trip and get the car to the airport it felt as though we had our own personal body guards with the staff protecting us from from the mad mopeds and virtually stopping he traffic for us. We hired bicycles for a day. I would suggest you don't use the the hire shop just along from the hotel. They were rude, expensive and wanted us to leave our passports as a deposit. Far better is the shop we used. Come out the hotel and turn left. After about 100 metres take the first right and about 50 metres on the right is a very small shop that hires bicycles and mopeds. The bikes cost us 50,000 Dong each. Mopeds cost about $5 US a day and no deposit required. The bikes were of a good standard with 18 gears. Along from here is the famous Hanoi ' beer corner'. Here you can get an ice cold glass of beer for 5,000 Dong. If you want to eat at a very good basic Vietnamese restaurant I would suggest the New Day Restaurant. Come out of the hotel turn right and take first left. The small restaurant is on the left hand side. A meal with beers, wine and two or three dishes was about 10 US $. It must be good as I saw Brian the hotel manager buying food there. WE liked it s much we ate there three times.

Room Tip: Book a superior room. Not much more money but well worth it.
1 Thank GrahamUnitedKingdom
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This small boutique hotel is centrally located no more than 10 minutes walk from all the treasures that can be found in the old quarter. Suli, Brian, and Henry are just three of the enthusiastic and welcoming
staff manning the front desk. Catering to all your needs they are a valuable source of information for finding the best spots for the local cuisine. With clean and modern rooms, my only criticism is that the beds were a little hard. The hotel staff did offer a change of room or to place extra bedding on the bed however my feeling is that the beds need changing all together. A few other little comments regarding the room. 1- the air conditioning was rather noisy and difficult to control. It had only two settings: ice cold or off.
2- there was a limited amount of hot water available so make your showers quick.
3- After travelling across the world to experience the Vietnamese culture we decided to skip the hotel's continental breakfast and go elsewhere to sample the local food on the streets. It might be an idea include some local Vietnamese cuisine on the menu.
Otherwise this hotel is great place to retreat to after a day wandering the busy streets of Hanoi.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank JSingles
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have to admit I was slightly apprehensive when the car dropped me off. Its along the busy Hang Bac Street with cars and mopeds whizzing by in both directions and where the only maxim pedestrians live by there is "who dares, wins". The entrance is narrow and easily missed as the hotel name is not prominent. However it was brightly lit which made it stand out.

However, once we got in, the check-in was efficient and friendly (with a sweet welcome drink). Rooms use a card key that is pressed to a panel instead of inserted into a slot. This makes it convenient to keep the key in your wallet then just press it to the panel. There is an irritating alarm that sounds when you enter the room and close the door. I am really not sure what it is for but it doesn't last for long.

Room I had was clean with a fruit and snack basket with complimentary water replenished daily. we didn't really make use of it as the street food outside was so cheap but it was a nice touch. The room safe has both a combination as well as a key. It was troublesome carrying the key around but I suppose the hotel can't be faulted for making sure our valuables were very well stored.

The breakfast was decent although a bowl of pho outside would probably give a better experience of the real Vietnam, but if you want bacon, eggs, baguette (excellent), and fruits, that would be the place to get it.

All in all a wonderful hotel. Great value. Would strongly recommend it

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We travelled as a group of 6 and this was our first stop in Vietnam. The hotel staff were fantastic! All were exceptionally friendly and are so willing to help with any queries. We booked our Halong Bay trip through them and our ongoing transport. When we left for our overnight bus they even had made us packed lunches for the journey with fruit,water and other snacks! The hotel itself was clean, had good decor and was a perfect location for seeing the old quarter. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Hanoi!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I highly recommend this hotel as it is very central, clean, has good decor and best of all....the staff are exceptional! They are friendly, efficient and very willing to help with nothing being too much trouble. We stayed twice and found the room on the 7th floor facing the street had a better outlook however the rooms not facing thg street are also good. This is a great hotel to stay.