“Best 'hostel' in old hanoi! - Halong bay advise”

Little Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #11 of 406 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Excellent service!!! I loved my time there so much i was i was back there. Free fruit tea and coffee and our room was MASSIVE. If you are wanting to book a tour through Halong bay here is some info on how they work. All hostels offer the same tour that are quite cheap and they are wither one night or two nights. Some hostels take about a ten dollar cut. Little hanoi hostel offered us a 'high class' experince on a ship costing about $250us (alot compared to cheaper tour). Do not do this tour!!!! It was so terrible that others who had were on the boat asked to leave early. This is not taking away from how amazing LHH is just advise about one of the tours they offer.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikayla90
There are newer reviews for Little Hanoi Hostel

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I arrived having had a very long bus journey overnight from Hue, and very little sleep.
I was made to feel very welcome on arrival, and offered free breakfast + complimentary tea and fruit.
The bed was soon ready in the dorm room, which was great as sleep was definitely needed.
Even the dorm rooms have a TV.

You can book a wide range of trips with the hostel, although they recommend a number of Hanoi based activities can be done independently. Their directions and advice were very good...I took a motorbike to the museum/palace complex (a number of the main sites are all located together)...then walked back
A note for Hanoi travellers, plan your stay carefully as some of the sites close early, or are only open on specific days. The Mauseleum is only open in mornings and on Tuesday-Thursday and from memory Saturday as well.
Everything is walking distance, but like in Ho Chi Minh you need some nerve to be able to cross the street. I bravely crossed the road with a 5year old child at one point.

I didn't do any of the trips the hostel recommended, as I'd booked my Halong Bay trip already, but the advice provided to some of dorm room companions was brilliant. The itineraries are all the same to Sapa and Halong Bay, just the English of the guides and quality of the ship may vary per company. The group who went on the trip from my room enjoyed their trip.
Definitely get a trip that includes Catba Island and bring trekking shoes.

The hostel recommended the water puppet show which is on at relatively frequent times during the afternoon and evening. This is right by the lake; it's a little bit pricey, but well worth the money. The puppeteers come out at the end and demonstrate how it all works.

Really lovely hostel, and they also have a restaurant(ish) in the evening, if like me, you were at the end of your trip and feeling a little on the tired side!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank KatLouise89
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This hostel is a great value for money! Cheep prices for very comfortable beds that include breakfast. Location is great. Free WiFi and computer access, free coffee/tea and fruit all day long. What a great value added! But I cannot say enough good things about the staff there. I felt at home from the minute I walked in to the minute I left. They are happy to help you with any questions you have and they will arrange trips, busses, trains, airport pick-ups for you. Definitely the friendliest staff that I've encountered during my whole stay in Vietnam!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mang0s
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Little Hanoi Hostel was our first stop in Vietnam and we were made very welcome by David and the other staff at Little Hanoi Hostel! Rooms exceeded my exceptions with nice large (and of course, firm) beds. David was very helpful and sorted all our bookings for the first four days of our stay in Vietnam, including helping sort out train tickets where we had been let down by another company.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank TimC88
Reviewed 12 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Hanoi after an overnight bus from Dong Hoi and were extremely exhausted. Thankfully, checking into Little Hanoi Hotel was a delight. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable, with ensuite and televisions. The free breakfast was delicious, eggs with freshly baked bread - and we very much enjoyed the coffee, tea and fruit platter on offer all day. What really pleased me about this hotel, however, was the assistance provided by a female staff member (I foolishly forgot to get her name). Not only did she give us tips on the city - food, attractions, safety, but she helped us organise our trip to halong bay, which we had to coordinate with a flight to Laos the following evening (which, by the way, she also arranged for us). The boat tour was a dream, and it was good to know we did not have to worry about airport transport afterwards as she had booked a taxi to meet us on the way back. I highly recommend staying here, you will feel at home - no matter how far away you are.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Louise V
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Little Hanoi Hostel. I stayed in the 6-bedroom dorm for $6/night. The beds are really huge with comfortable mattresses and blankets. The included breakfast is quite large (you can chose from 15 different types). AC worked well, hot water, Wi-fi was a bit of a stretch to the far dorm room but worked well in the rest of the hostel. They helped me book a Ha Long Bay tour and had excellent service/friendly staff. Great central location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank amandaca97
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the dorm for four nights. David and all the other staff were wonderful and helped book all my trips. The hostel is located within walking distance of most attractions. I've nothing bad to say about Little Hanoi hostel.
Would stay here again.
Thanks for a great time guys!!

• Stayed: May 2013