“Very very expensive”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #28 of 367 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
“Very very expensive”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We arrived late into Hanoi and shared a taxi to the old quarter. Maybe we can blame the fact that we were tired, it was late and/or it was raining, but we made the poor decision to stay at Hanoi backpackers. In the coming days we learnt that there are two hostels with the same name. Dont stay in the one with the cow logo located on Ngo huyen. The overpriced room didn't include towels or soap, was dull and there was no wifi. The staff were unhelpful and had very limited English. We booked a bus ticket through the hostel and they couldn't get that right either with no actual ticket issued and the incorrect pick up address provided. We loved the city of Hanoi but wish we had stated somewhere else. Beware of Hanoi backpacker hostel.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank ZeetynGriffo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed here and I cannot say enough about the place. The staff is great, everything is clean, they have a great rooftop bar, and tons of well-organized tours and trips! My friends and I did the tour to the snake village. Our guide was one of the guys that worked at Hanoi Backpackers Hostel. I wrote about it in my blog if anyone cares to see video... blakesworld211.blogspot.com/. The guide was pretty funny, made sure everyone had a good time, and was informative too. Eating the beating heart out of a snake... one of the coolest things I've ever done.

Room Tip: Dorms are where it's at... easy to meet people, cheap, and still comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christopher S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We stayed at the original Hanoi Backpackers back in June 2010, purely for their Halong Bay cruise on-board The Jolly Roger. This year, we decided to stay at the New Hanoi Backpackers - more specifically, their private rooms. At $40 a night, it's expensive. However, the facilities are pretty top-notch! again, the only reason for our stay was for the Halong Bay cruise again. it has to be the most epic party of my life!

Do the 3-day cruise, the one that goes to Castaway Island. Say hi to Josh and Aaron!

Room Tip: Do the 3-day Halong Bay cruise. I've done both: the 2-day and 3-day, and the 3 day is just off-t...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt T
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Easily the best Hostel I've stayed at anywhere in the world, super friendly staff, very clean and beautifully designed with ample sized beds.

The comfortable café on the ground floor is a great place to hangout as is the huge lounge on the 5th floor with 50" plasma tv, pool table, internet computers and a relaxing sun-terrace and BBQ.

There are a lot of dodgy places in Vietnam, I stayed in many of them, this place was such a breath of fresh air with their friendly, helpful staff, awesome/cheap food menu and genuinely helpful Western managers.

Stay anywhere else in this city and you'll just be missing out.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Wanted to stay there as their subsidiary in Hue was really niece, but the room shown to us was the worst on our entire trip but also the most expensive. We guess they have been too successful in there past, otherwise such am bad deal cannot be explained (they have 3(!) Huge hostels in hanoi alone).

Did the halong bay tour with, which was what we paid for- party! Was nice but cave is dangerous (take good footware with you).

When we came back we asked them to book us am train to Sapa.As we didn't have time to shop around, we booked with them.Later we found out that they DOUBLED the price for the ticket (a comission fee of ca.15usd for a train ticket in Vietnam).We were very disappointed.

We propose to go to the hibiscus hotel next door.friendlier, better quality rooms and cheaper!

• Stayed November 2011
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed in the Hanoi Backpackers Hostel this past August (2011). Out of my entire month in Southeast Asia, this was by far the best lodging I encountered. It was very cheap, secure, and fun. I would not recommend this for a family trip, but if you are young and are looking for a good time in Hanoi, you have to stay here. They have a fun bar and restaurant, and organize nightly social events. In my 3 days there we had a beer pong tournament, pub quiz, and a trip to snake village. It was truly a great time, and a great start to the night before going out. I did not do the Ha Long Bay trip through them, but I hear it is a lot of fun. Overall, this is a MUST STAY place if you are looking to party in Hanoi. Staff is friendly and good mix of travelers. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is how modern hostels should be. Clean, friendly, fun! I would go back in a heartbeat. I was only meant to be staying a night or two originally, loved it so much stayed over a week! The only criticism I have is that they take you to the same affiliated bar every night (called something like Temple cant remember) and it just isn't that good. Especially when Dragonfly opposite is so much better. The Shisha bar upstairs is brilliant - recommend highly.

Room Tip: Go for a smaller dorm, but the whole place is so clean cannot recommend enough.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo