“Pretty much everything I didn't want in a hostel”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #30 of 421 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I only stayed here one night (the one on Ma May), because I couldn't stand it. There is no air conditioning during the day, so the whole place is stinking hot. The computers barely work, you have to look around forever to find one even to just get on facebook. The common area downstairs is ridiculously loud at all hours of the day or night, and not just because of the obnoxious drunkards, but also because they crank their music up louder than I ever would (and I love loud music) even during the daytime! It just makes the whole place come across as super unchill.
To top it off the place is very expensive for Vietnam. They offer a couple of options for Ha Long Bay tours but if you go just down the street you can get better offerings for literally a quarter of the price.
I can't recommend this place, I left and went to stay in a beautiful private room just down the street with two double beds, AC, my own hot shower, and a TV for a half the price of a dorm at Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel. Avoid.

Room Tip: Go down the street to one of the lesser known hotels, you'll get a much better room for a much s...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Benjamin B

Reviewed 13 January 2012

After travelling for over three months in SE Asia, Hanoi Backpackers was a breath of fresh air with it's young, approachable staff and fun outlook on the backpacker experience. It was practical, with personal lockers for backpacks and small lockers for belongings. Felt safe and secure, and the showers were very clean. THE FOOD was delicious too! We actually booked an extra night here because we were having too much fun:)

Also they arranged our Halong Bay trip which was one of the most memorable things I did in Asia!

Room Tip: Rooms are clean and personal.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Niamhyosa
Reviewed 30 December 2011

i actually stayed at the new hostel on ma may st. it was clean, safe, and in a good location. however it is all centered around booze, partying etc and therefore not the best place if you want to chill out, especially in hanoi.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Deena C
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Good food, awesome guides, good tunes, good times!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank SDkiwi
Reviewed 25 December 2011

!! I stayed at the Ma May location. !!

This seems like a real backpackers heaven - I have have returned to there for the nice beds, worm showers and friendly staff.
The place is nice an clean, have large hang out area and both locations are good locations.

I was so unfortunate to forget my iPod when I left for the Halong Bay trip and I lost my wallet on the boat.
Both was returned to me! (Including over 1million dong in my wallet!)

Room Tip: First of all, get a room that is away from the street. It might not be a problem - but vietnamese ca...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank shortyDK
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This has got to be one of the best hostels i have stayed at during my time travelling! It is a bit more expensive than the options around Vietnam and Hanoi but it definitely makes up for that in the quality of service and what it offers. At around 12 dollars a night you get a very comfortable, clean bed in a fully air conditioned dorm room. There is a safety box next to your bed that only your key fits into if you want to leave any valuables overnight of when you are out.

The facilities are great, having plenty of clean showers and toilets on every floor and a top floor internet cafe where you can use all the computers for free and even play some snooker at the snooker table. Definitely the cleanest showers and facilities that i have come across on my travels so was a pleasure to stay here.

The location of the hostel is great as its in the heart of busy hanoi where the main aim is to avoid the swerving beeping scooters before they hit you! The main shopping area and bars etc are a decent 10-15 minutes walk away if you want to get some serious shopping done, but there are many bars and clubs nearby if you dont wish to go far.

Without doubt, the best thing this hotel has to offer is its Halong Bay boat trip!! this is a must for you if you will be spending at least 4-5 days here. You have the option of the two-day or three day trip. I did the two-day trip but if i had an extra day would of done the three day as it was one of the best trips of my life so far!!! Just make sure you book the trip through Hanoi Backpackers as i knew some people who thought they would be smart and book with external sources to save some money and their trip was full of 40-50 years old and didnt contain any drinking games, late night parties and nudity!

Overall, wish i had longer in Hanoi but had to book a bus to Hoi An (from reception) as we had to get moving but will definitely be staying at Hanoi Backpackers if i return to Vietnam!

Room Tip: Make sure you stay at the New Hanoi Backpackers and not the old one as it is much more fun and recen...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank urapcandimamatt
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This was the second leg in our 6 week trip around southeast asia, and similar to our accommodation in Ho Chi Minh the week before, we walked down a suspect alley to find our accommodation (I should make it clear now we stayed in the OLD Hanoi backpackers' hostel).
The staff we largely backpackers themselves, from British Aussie or US backgrounds, and the vietnamese staff were all very good with English. This was a big plus given our difficulties with the language barrier up to that point.
The rooms were old and run down - the floors looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while, the bathrooms were filthy and dilapidated and the beds weren't exactly the most comfortable i've ever slept in. On the plus side, there were lockers under each bunk large enough to fit both a luggage bag and daybag.
However, we, like most travellers, like to think that we spend most of our time enjoying the city rather than the bed we sleep on, and this is where the old Hanoi Backpackers' draws its strengths. The rooftop bar was the perfect place to start a good night out - be it drinking games, beer bongs, a variety of odd smelling vodka shots or just getting to know your fellow guest. The staff were legends, consisting of guys who were very well travelled and knew how to have a good time. Each night they would take us to the happening places in Hanoi - which are difficult to find on one's own given the city shuts down by 9pm most nights. The only problem I would say about this, though, is that the ''old' backpackers' hostel is a fair way from the nightclubs - this can be a problem getting home, particularly when drunk. You really don't want to be running into the 'xeoms'' - the scooter drivers who are basically out to loot comatose and ignorant backpackers.

I'm unsure of whether there is a separate review for this, but I will say now - the castaway island trip is an absolute must. It's a 2-3 day (depending on how long you can afford/want to stay) cruise around the picturesque halong bay region, where you have the option of staying on a little island in open huts. It's an idyllic holiday filled with tubing rock climbing, drinking and many humorous things associated with the consumption of alcohol. And plenty more, i just can't be bothered listing everything. The hostel will organise everything so do ask at reception.

Another thing I like was that it was really easy to book transport in order to continue your trip. The reception will provide you with no-nonsense advice on how best to get to your next destination.

Overall, I was not too pleased with the rooms, but had a blast staying here nonetheless

Room Tip: If I had my time again I'd be more inclined to stay at the New Backpackers' as this is close...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends