Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
US$81
US$114
US$104
Nikko Hotels
Hanoi Holiday Diamond Hotel(Hanoi)(Great Value!)
US$38
US$34
US$61
US$55
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscastaway tourprivate roomdowntown hostelbooze cruiseoriginal hostelpub crawldrinking gamesyoung backpackersfree breakfastrooftop barsnake villagehalong baybeer pongngo huyenbuffalo runfree beerfree walking tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Myself and a friend stayed in a twin room last week during our stay in Hanoi. We had emailed the hostel prior to our arrival and were told the old building had twin rooms and encouraged to stay there. On arrival we were taken to an old decrepid building next door, by very rude staff. Be warned that if you wish to stay in a private or twin room, you will not be in the main building advertised. The hotel next door is old, dirty, dingy and like something out of a bad horror movie. The rooms were dirty, there were no towels or soap in the bathroom and the lighting was like an dark saharan night. Needless to say we checked out early and moved elsewhere. Noisiest hotel I've ever stayed at, constant banking and creaking. Breakfast incidentally was also terrible and the staff was ruder than an angry chef. Total rip off at $25 per night. Since our stay, management have not responded to a single complaint email. Very very poor.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rick1UK
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at Ma May which is their new hostel and it was great, got the basics right - comfy beds, lockers in rooms etc!! But the hostel itself and the staff were great. They have a great bar which if you are a single traveler like myself it is a great place to meet people and have fun. Food is good and they have great chill out area upstairs here you can watch movies which was nice after gettign back from halong bay!! Will be telling all my mates to stay here for sure!!

Room Tip: James is dreamy
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MarkJoycey
Reviewed 29 February 2012

First of all, there's two of them, and my reuew is for the one on Ma May street in the Old quarter. We didn'tnsleep there because it was 9$ for a bed in a dorm when we couod get a private room with shower for 12$ down the street. However, its a good rally point, where you can eat, drink, go on the internet and book day trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 23 February 2012

from start to finish this place has been great, i Have never felt such a good atmosphere in a hostel. the beds are really comfy, the booze is cheap and the pub crawl they arrange is not to be missed. Great staff too. Will def come back. also it is the cleanest hostel by a mile. free internet and pool table. i

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ed j
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I tried to book a tour with the new Hanoi Backpackers Hostels in Ma May St. They offered a competitive price on the tour, quoted in US dollars (which is normal). However when I asked for the staff member to give me the price in Vietnam Dong, she used the exchange rate of US$1=21500VND. I questioned the staff member why she used this figure and pointed to a board behind her which said 21500VND and told me this is the rate everywhere in Vietnam.
In my 3 weeks in Vietnam the standard exchange rate used at every other hostel, restaurant, tour company, shop and even market throughout the Country is US$1=21000VND (February 2012, official rate is 20780VND).

I told this to the woman who simply stared back at me and said that is the price. I left and found the same tour at the correct exchange rate just down the road.

It may not seem like a lot of money, but this hostel is charging it for all customers staying at their hotel, in their restaurant and booking their tours. This makes them a lot of money, and for a company who is supposedly looking out for backpackers and offering low prices, they are ripping you off. Even the dodgy market sellers are better than this!

Add to this I ordered a drink from the bar before I tried to book and it came out in a filthy glass, less than impressed.

Shame on you. I hope you can improve your game.

• Stayed: February 2012