“Excellent service”

Ranked #28 of 362 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Taipei, Taiwan
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Service at this hostel was extraordinary. I lost my luggage upon arrival at the hostel (taxi drove off with it) and the hostel staff (special thanks to Mai and Dao) helped me to call the taxi company dozens of times in a 24-hour period up to when it was found, even when none of it was their responsibility. They were warm and gracious throughout and I am deeply grateful. I would definitely stay with them again. Thank you!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very nice hostel, probably the nicest I've been in. Staff are fun and friendly if not a big crazy. Rooms are clean, as are bathrooms. Air con goes on in the rooms at 7pm so they're nice and cold but on our last night there was a problem with the aircon and we baked. The bar area is busy and always something to do, theres a big chill out room upstairs. Really good security for luggage too. We did their trip to Halong Bay where the accommodation was sub par. A lot of dramas on that trip ie a guy beating up his girlfriend and a rape allegation that was ignored by the tour guide, but overall quite good fun.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank travellingonaprayer
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed here for a few nights at the beginning of our trip through Southeast Asia. Private rooms were spacious and pretty comfortable. The hostel is pretty clean, the breakfast is pretty good, and the staff is very friendly (although communication was sometimes a little tricky). We were happy staying here, and the way I've distributed points below are a reflection of our experience in Hanoi, at the hostel.

I was much less into the tour of Halong Bay. The tour offered by HBH is a party tour, which would have been cool if the two guys running it had been less vile. I don't know how many times we saw one of these guys naked in two days, but it was way too many (I'd go into more graphic detail about the things they did, but TA probably wouldn't post it). Both guys were burnt out and boring, and neither of them did a very good job getting these parties started (they spent most of the day getting wasted). More importantly, they didn't make anyone feel very comfortable. Had I been on the tour by myself, or with girlfriends, and not with my boyfriend, I would have actually felt pretty unsafe. Seriously. It was that bad.

Other aspects of the tour were not great either. We were there in January, and it rained a lot (our friends went on the same tour in October and had a much better time). The rain made for a squishy night in the indoor common area of the boat (watching our guide get naked), and a pretty soggy one on the island. Cabins are open air, even in January, and so our mattresses and covers were damp. I slept in every single piece of clothing I'd brought with me. Food is also pretty disgusting. Overall, disappointing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank acdubs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This place is great, if you are young and into the drinking tour of SE Asia. Most people are not over age of 22ish, and lots of gap year types also. They offer good dorms but the vibe is very insular, foreigners hanging only with foreigners, and the evenings closely resemble a university frat party.

The food is actually quite good and reasonably priced, and the place is clean, despite my experience one morning of watching a member of the kitchen staff repeatedly sneezing and wiping her nose while wiping the cutlery. The staff are friendly and helpful too.

Convenient place to start, but be warned that if you are an actual traveller (not on drunk tour) and over 25 you will likely find this place tiresome and more high school dance than Hanoi.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Traveldrea
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed slightly longer than planned due to the Halong Bay trip being full but still had a blast - rooms are clean and comfy - staff are great and the Halong Bay Tour is one of my best experiences yet!!!! Also made new friends who'll we'll def see again - soon!!!!

Room Tip: This is a party hostel - expect little quiet - thats what we wanted!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I had a bed in a dorm, it was comfortable with a bathroom in the dorm and breakfast included (perfect for me because I'm not crazy about Vietnamese street food...) There is a bar and a kitchen. Fun if you want to meet people and party but also nice if you want a good night sleep, the dorm room was quiet at night. Location is great, in the same street you can pick and choose from many travel agencies happy to take you to Ha Long bay or Sapa, book open bus tickets, or whatever way you want to travel. They also have a place in Hue which is just as fun as the one in Ha Noi:)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Hanoi Backpackers Hostel (ma may); however I would say the private room is overpriced at 40/night. I found much cheaper accomodation for similar room quality once I was settled into Hanoi. However, Hanoi Backpackers Hostel definitely wins for their social scene (bar downstairs, large lounge/computer area, tours to Halong bay, etc). The travel desk was also very helpful in booking transportation. If you are interested in meeting other young backpackers and partying, this is the spot for you. We also did the Halong Bay tour, which was well organized but again more of a party scene. As my boyfriend & I were not quite as keen on the party scene, I personally would have preferred to stay at a different hostel/hotel given the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple