“The most happening hostel.”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #26 of 371 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Ipoh, Malaysia
“The most happening hostel.”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I backpacked with my brother. We had wonderful time there, very friendly staffs, cheap drinks, great location at the Ho Kiem Lake and very party oriented. If you are looking to have some fun in Hanoi, you have my recommendation.

Room Tip: The lower floors are little quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thanks loads for your great review. We are always very happy when a fellow backpacker has a great time! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Thanks - VBH Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you're a young backpacker and want to have some fun then Hanoi BackPacker's Hostel is THE place to stay.

The dorms are clean and staff friendly. I stayed in both the new and old backpacker hostels. Both were great. The new one has large communal toilets and showers and the old one has on suite shared showers and toilets. I personally preferred staying in the old one but you can't go wrong with either.

You get a free breakfast in the morning or at least when I stayed we did. The food is good but all western food if I remember correctly.

They both have bars. The old one has a bar on the roof which is a lot of fun. At a certain time everyone walks from the old backpackers hostel to the new one for more drinking and fun. Before heading to one of the local bars. Normally Hair of the dog which is across the street from the new Hanoi Backpacker's. It is great for meeting people especially if your travelling on your own.

I was here for Christmas and new years. I didn't remember very much of it but I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you are looking for a quiet hostel and not really wanting to party then maybe Hanoi Backpacker's isn't the place for you.

If I return to Hanoi - and I hope I do - then I will certainly be staying here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kailasgurung
Thanks for your great review of our hostel and we are very pleased you chose to spend Christmas and NY with us, we all agree that is was lots of fun! We look forward to seeing you again. Enjoy the rest of your travels. VBH Crew Manager
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was traveling with my friend (2 girls in their mid-twenties). This hostel is the reason we fell in love with Hanoi. The staff are all unbelievably friendly and there are always activities to get involved with. My friend and I reserved a private room at the Original Backpacker Hostel and it was wonderful. The breakfast was great and the rooftop bar was the perfect place to start your night with drinking games before starting the barcrawl, which always ended at the Downtown Backpacker Hostel. Both the Downtown and Original Hostels are in great locations. We would have loved to stay in the Downtown Hostel since that really is where the party is, but its a short walk and an even quicker cab ride away. Either one you stay at, you will not be disappointed. Original is a little more quiet and you can get to know the staff and other people a bit more because it's not so big. The downtown is huge and people are always ready to party there. We stayed a total of three nights at the Original and it was perfect. We stayed two nights first before departing on the 2 night 3 day Castaway tour to Halong bay. Then we came back and stayed one more night before heading off. Everyone should do the Castaway tour. If you come to Hanoi there is no reason to not do this tour. it was the time of our life.

This is a party hostel, if you are not looking for a good time, maybe this is not the place for you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hi caroline, Thanks for your feedback and we are very pleased you loved our hostels and Castaways tour. Even better to hear you had the time of your life!! Thanks again and I hope the rest of your trip was as awesome as your stay with us!! VBH Crew Manager.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here in July 2013. I was backpacking solo and I made tonnes of friends through the hostel and the castaway tour. I met people through this and we traveled down Vietnam together.

Good vibes. If you're looking for a hostel with good parties and a lively atmosphere Hanoi Backpackers is the spot to be. I stayed briefly in both the original and the Ma May location. I would recommend buying a Han Cafe bus pass at Hanoi BP. Fantastic deal for the number of trips that you can. Night buses are horrible but it's the best way. Grab massages to work the kinks out of your back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Hey Connor, Thanks heaps for your review of our hostel. Always pleases us to hear our fellow backpackers make loads of friends at the hostel and whilst on the Castaways trip and then get the chance to travel the country with your new found friends! Hope the rest of Vietnam was just as awesome. Thanks again - VBH Crew Manager.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This review is for the Hanoi Backpackers location near St. Joseph Cathedral. I'll preface this review by disclosing that we are a married couple in our early thirties. We are budget travelers and still like to have fun, so we often stay in hostels and other budget accommodations to save money and meet fun people.

We booked a private room with ensuite bathroom at Hanoi Backpackers based off another traveler's recommendation. The private rooms aren't in the same building as the front desk and restaurant/bar, but across the alleyway. The room was small and pretty tired: the flooring was coming loose, the walls were dirty, and the bathtub was stained and damaged. It was acceptably clean, but not exactly comfortable. It was a little noisy, but not too bad. The breakfast was included, but that's standard in Vietnam, and we found the one at Hanoi Backpackers to be skimpy and not include things like coffee or yogurt that are usually included in other "free" breakfasts.

While our stay at Hanoi Backpackers was would have been fine if it had been the cheapest option, we found out we could get (much) more for less than we paid at Hanoi Backpackers. After our first night we started looking around at nearby hotels and found that we were paying more at Hanoi Backpackers (about $25 USD) than we would have at a much nicer hotel. So we checked out of Hanoi Backpackers and into a small hotel one street away (Serendipity Hotel).

It was nice having native English speakers working the front desk, who helped us get an extension on our visas. We also booked the Ha Long Bay trip, Castaways, through Hanoi Backpackers. We plan to do a separate review of the trip, but in a nutshell we found it to be extremely overpriced ($100 more than the others we considered), the food and accommodations on the boat and island ranging from disappointing to disgusting, and the majority of the fellow travelers on the trip only there to drink until they blacked out, vomited, and/or passed out, egged on by the Hanoi Backpackers "tour guides." If that sounds like fun to you, maybe you'll have a different opinion of the Hanoi Backpackers hostel and Castaways trip.

Room Tip: There is no elevator/lift for the private rooms, so choose a room on a lower floor if you don't...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi guys, Thanks for your review of our hostel. We have taken on board your comments regarding our private rooms and are currently in the process of improving these to a higher standard so your comments are much appreciated. (Pictures of these improvements will be up soon). We have also recently sent our management out to Ha Long Bay with the view to improve the services of our trip where needed. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
VBH Manager.
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. My dorm (in the main building) was noisy since there is a rooftop bar and a bar next to the hostel. I could hear the music til 2.30 am. Big locker under the bed is nice for all your stuff. The bed was good but a big hard. The bathroom is simple but Nice and with a really hot shower. Staff was nice too. The only thing i didnt like was how they sold me the bus. I asked for a 4 stop bus ticket and told them my stops. It was possible and i paid. But when a came at the bus station and checked my ticket, it was not the right one. The lady said it was not even possible in 4 stops what I asked for. I told the lady from the bus company and she called the hostel for me. I got a girl on the phone and she was like: no thats not possible, you need to pay more and take an extra stop. And was laughing About it. I dont think it was really funny. And since the people from the buscompany are the rudest people ive ever met: dont book the bus, book the train at the hostel.

Stayed March 2014
Hi Rowan, Thanks for your review of the hostel and I am pleased you had a good time. Our Rooftop bar closes at 9.30pm for the comfort of our guests but we have had problems with the bar next door. We have now spoken to the owner of this bar and the local authorities and this noise problem has now stopped - thanks for your feedback concerning this. I will personally take a look at the bus service to make sure it is running as it should. Enjoy the rest of your trip and hope to see you again.
VBH Manager.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We started off in a private room but then moved in to the dorm as we found they were clean, spacious, and not too noisy (travelling as a pair usually works out to be the same price or a dollar more each to get a private room with a bathroom etc). The rooftop bar is a great place to meet people, even though the prices are nearly double what we paid in a few places and restaurants (for beer). They do have a few different happy hours though, and we were there for ladies' day = bogof beer!
They have a free pub crawl everynight which people seemed to like, but really not my scene.

The hostel was great, definitely worth the 7.50$ per night in the dorm.

On the other hand, as a note and advice to others - they sell tours to Ha long Bay etc. I can't comment on what thier OWN trip is like (the party, castaway one), however, if you book the normal, out-sourced cheaper trips for a night and two days, they charge 110$ for what we paid $75 two doors down in an agency. Two girls we met on the trip were staying at the hostel, paid more and got the same trip as us.
The difference in price for everyone on our boat was insane. From 69-121$ for exactly the same trip. SO if you want a 2 day, 1 night stay in the bay, try and get it for around $75, any more is too much.

Other than that, great hostel, lovely staff!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amy M
Jason R, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hi Amysauras! Thanks for taking the time to review our Hostel, we're stoked you loved it. Thanks also for the feedback on the Halong Bay trips we sell for other operators. The situation you described is of concern to us, and has brought this problem to our attention, so thanks again! We have spoken to our supplier and identified the problem. This supplier operates 3 different levels of tour, when trips are quiet, as they are at this time of year, they combine trips onto the better of their 3 boats. In affect they are upgrading those who have paid the cheaper price. They have not been communicating this, so we end up with the scenario that you have described. We sell the trip for the recommended retail price they give us. We are working with our supplier to make sure this does not happen anymore. Thanks again