“Good social backpackers place”

Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
Ranked #35 of 473 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Great hostel to stay in if you're looking for other travellers, mainly young though. Dorm rooms are clean with ensuite bathrooms, big lockers for your backpack and a small locker on the wall for your valuables. I booked a 8 female dorm and got 10 mixed but didn't complain since it was only for one night. Breakfast is included and basic but ok. There's a pub crawl every night which goes to the hostels downtown location and some other places for a good party!

Stayed: April 2014
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hey there, Thanks very much for your recent review of our hostel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay - All the best for the rest of your travels. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Lets start with the negatives. The staff did not explain anything to me when I checked in (same as all 3 backpacker locations), they didnt even show me where my room was, just gave me the key and told me it was on the 2nd floor. The wifi is dreadful, the computers are also slow. The menu is totally western orientated and overpriced. The excursions to Ha Long Bay are ridiculously overpriced, $110 dollars just for the basic 2 day/1 night trip when you can go down to road a book it for as little as $75 for the same trip.

Positives: More peaceful than the Downtown location but still party orientated. The english/aussie staff are far more helpful and friendlier than the Vietnamese staff. They allowed me to store my bad free of charge while I went to Ha Long Bay (not booked though them). Each bed has its own plug and light.

Another thing is that when I went back a couple of days later to meet people there when I was no longer staying there, a rat ran out in front of me in the bar (about midnight), this might bother alot of people but it didnt bother me much, this is Vietnam, what do you expect?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hi Chris, Thanks for your recent review of our hostel. Your feedback is welcomed and I will pass the comments to our staff to make sure they are taking guests to their rooms as I assure you this is normal practice in our hostels! I hope you enjoyed your time here and enjoy the rest of your trip. All the best VBH Crew.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

First, I stayed in the original location, not the downtown hostel, which is an important distinction not all reviewers are making! I loved my stay here. One of the larger hostels I've stayed in, but the staff are no less welcoming and friendly for it. The rooms were very clean, air conditioning worked, and each bed had easy access to an outlet and a personal locker. They have a luggage room to store bags when you are waiting to check in or after you've checked out, and will let you shower before checking in if you want.

For female travelers, this hostel offers a female only room if you want.

There is a rooftop bar with nightly drink specials, and each night the staff lead a bar crawl to other hotspots in Hanoi. I'm not a big partier, but I enjoyed the relaxed social atmosphere; made a lot of friends at this hostel! The bar crawl moved a little slow for me, but that probably had more to do with my own preferences than anything else.

For those people who want a good night's sleep, this is a better choice than the downtown hostel run by the same group. The rooftop bar here closes around 9, when the bar crawl moves out with all of the loud partiers. the other big difference between the two is that this location is much smaller. I think the downtown location seems massive.

Lots of great cheap street food and travel agencies at near this location, too! I found their tours to be a little pricy when compared to others, so keep an eye out for better deals. Anna's travel agency right next door to this hostel has super helpful and friendly staff. She helped me arrange my onward travel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hey Kelsey, Thanks a lot for your review of our Original Hostel. We are really pleased you enjoyed the hostel and our haven which is the Rooftop Bar!! Enjoy the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hostel is extremely well set up and we loved it. Friendly helpful staff that will allow you to stow your bags in a store if you can't check in and access to showers etc which is awesome when you have come off a night bus or similar. We stayed in the dorm room which have double bed bunks as well as singles and are clean and tidy with good secure lockers underneath. The bathrooms are massive and are clean and tidy as well. The whole hostel operates a electronic locking system for the doors which is easy and made me feel that our belongings were safe. Kept expecting there to be a down side to this hostel but couldn't find one, the downstairs bar is great for meeting fellow travelers and they have a happy hour every night and even give away drinks at times (we weren't there for Sunday but that was free beer after 4pm woo!). The staff operate a pub crawl which is pretty good too (this also means the noise downstairs dies down at 11pm meaning the rest of the hostel can sleep). They do have a travel desk which have some great looking tours but prepare to fork out a little more if you want to join them. All this and the bed prices were some the cheapest in Hanoi including a great breakfast. Overall fantastic hostel and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hey. Thanks for your great review!! It always pleases us to hear that people are enjoying all our services! Enjoy the rest of your travels and please let us know if you are passing back through. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Spent about 4 nights here and loved it. The food was great and the staff were so lovely. The bar would have somewhat of a party every night with the staff taking you to clubs later on. Extremely friendly vibe and homelike atmosphere. Experience it for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2013

Hey Thanks heaps for your review, We hope you get to join us again for some good times! Enjoy the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Party oriented hostel, but since there's a 12 midnight curfew in Hanoi, you're still able to sleep. The beds were comfy and there's a nice small locker next to your reading light for your valuables. The lockers under the bed were large, but several of them were broken. The atmosphere is very lively and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thanks very much for your review and we are pleased you had a good time. Our staff have had a look at all lockers to check they are all now fixed. Enjoy the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Technically, it is a very good hostel. It's clean, there's keycard systems to get into rooms, it's modern, in a good location, has a sociable bar area downstairs and helps guests book tours through them etc. I arrived from a 16 hour night bus and they let me sleep on the top floor on the sofas until I could check in which was great. All this said, I think the hostel is perhaps too big for my liking, and I found it trying to be too perfect, and too touristy. I found it lacking a bit of character. I was here over Chinese New Year which put a dampener on it as on my second day nearly everything was shut, so me and a friend just stayed in the hostel as there was no where else to go. The internet on the computers upstairs wasn't working more than it was, which was annoying as we were trying to book flights to Thailand.
Can't complain about the dorms, they were good enough, although after we got back from fireworks and drinking for Chinese New Year, I went to go to bed at around 2am and it was still really noisy in my room, it was like I was sleeping outside. I'm a person who likes to party, so the bar downstairs was good, but it is nice to be able to get sleep when you want it too.
What I didn't like was the very western menu, i'm not sure I was any vietnamese food on it. Playing really English music all the time, sometimes I questioned if I was in Vietnam at all. I'm glad I didn't do any of their tours as they seemed very overpriced. I think it's summed up best by saying that I was in the elevator going downstairs and there was a couple with their rucksacks on. They said that they couldn't wait to leave after one day. I asked why, and they said it was too touristy.
I think to put simple, I didn't suit this type of hostel. Too many 18 years olds there to just drink all the time, all this keycard access to everywhere, and to big and lacking character. Oh well, i'm sure others will like it

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thanks heaps for your recent review of our hostel. This page is for the Original hostel where I feel you would have been more suited as it is is much smaller, intimate and has a ‘homely’ feel to it. Hopefully you can give it a look if you return to Hanoi. We are soon to introduce a special Vietnamese menu for all our hostels so big thanks for the feedback in this area – much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks again for your feedback.
VBH Crew Manager.