Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$62
  • Breakfast included
Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa(Hanoi)
US$74
US$72
US$370
US$281
  • Pool
All reviewscastaway tourprivate roomdowntown hostelbooze cruiseoriginal hostelpub crawldrinking gamesyoung backpackersfree breakfastrooftop barsnake villagehalong baybeer pongngo huyenbuffalo runfree beerfree walking tour
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Ma May hostel (the newer one) based on recommendations by other people I had met.
I arrived after a long night bus and could not check in straight away (I was aware of this before I arrived) but was directed to the chill out area which was nice as you had somewhere to go without having to sit in the reception/bar area.
The rooms were basic but clean enough and the same for the shared bathrooms. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm. There are large lockers under your bed, and a smaller safety box next to each bed. This and the keycard entry system made the place feel very secure.
The bar serves some great food, western dishes but if you just want a bit of a break from the local food its good quality, and the choice of 3 dishes for the free breakfast was a great touch. Smoothies here are also amazing!
I also did the free walking tour on my first morning there, which was a nice way to see the local area and get told some info/shown a few spots that you would be otherwise unlikely to find!
I liked that there were the 2 social areas, the bar but also the chill out room if you wanted a more relaxed environment. Met some great people here and enjoyed my stay.
Also, I can't remember her name but the Australian "sales" advisor is incredible. She really helped a couple of the people I met out, with some recommendations based on their time and what they wanted to experience :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Hi Ria, Thanks for your review of our hostel and we are really pleased you had a fantastic time. Enjoy the rest of your trip. All the best - VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Ngo Huyen establishment (the "original" one) for a total of 3 nights/4 days in a private room (double room).

Right during the first night my girlfriend felt that she had an allergic reaction (itching) of some sort to the pillow, which she stopped using and was able to sleep. During the entire stay she felt that her respiratory tract was irritated, which happens to her when exposed to mould. It is likely that there is mould as the rooms don't ventilate well (or at all, to be precise).

We had originally booked just two nights, and during our stay I booked two more one night a time and paid for them. During the checkout it turned out that one of the payments wasn't registered (either the receptionist forgot to do it or then he's pocketing money) which caused an issue as they were asking us to pay for the "unpaid" night. Thanks to the helpful manager we were let go after figuring out the situation for 25 minutes, so if you're staying at this place always remember to ask for receipt for every payment you make to avoid situations like this.

The room layout was ok, with plenty of wardrobe space and a comfortable bed. The WiFi worked well in the room and other areas and the connection was fast. Air conditioning was also very efficient.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkirjala
James V, Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - The Original, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi There, Thanks for your recent review of our Original hostel. i will be sure to pass on your feedback to our management and staff to make sure the booking process is 100% correct. All the best and enjoy the rest of your trip. VBH Crew Manager.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hostel was amazing, we stayed for two nights back in January and did he 3 day halong bay tour which was the best thing we did on our world tour. Would love to go back one day. Nice food, good common area and bar

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MattMaloney

Thanks loads for your recent review of our hostel and Castaways. Always pleases us to hear that Castaways was the best experience on your round the world trip. Hope to have you back again some day!! All the best VBH Crew Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed in the original hostel which was a good location but I didn't enjoy my stay in the 6 bed dorm. The room had no windows and felt grubby. On the plus side the hostel was very friendly, with fun events In the bar and I met some really nice backpackers there. I believe the downtown hostel is much more modern and perhaps a better option.

What I really want to recommend is the Buffalo Run tour which is exclusively run by the hostel. It's a 7 day trip from Hanoi to Hoi An led by a brilliant tour guide Joel and full of off the beaten track adventure and a wonderful way to experience Vietnam.I was pushed outside my comfort zone but loved it and overall was a very rewarding week. If you have the time I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ShaunaEliz

Hey thanks for your review of our hostel and we are really pleased you had a great time on our awesome Buffalo Run experience!! I will pass your great feedback on to Joel. Enjoy the rest of your trip!! VBH Crew Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed in Hanoi Backpackers in Ma May street in Hanoi. It was the newer of the 2 HBH's in the city. I really enjoyed my stay and met a lot of good people here.
The dorm rooms were well laid out, clean and reasonably spacious. The ensuite bathrooms were also well equipped with plenty of showers and toilets and were very clean.
The breakfast included was excellent with choices of different dishes. The downstairs bar was always lively, making this a very social place to stay. However if you did want an early night the bar did shut at midnight every evening.
There were plenty of common areas in the hostel besides the bar area so if you wanted a quiet place to chill out you could find it here.
I also did the Mai Chau trip through the hostel which was excellent. They have other trips including to Halong Bay that are also very popular.
I would highly recommend this hostel as I really enjoyed my stay and have good memories of my time there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Hi, Thanks heaps for your review and we are very pleased you had an excellent time especially on our awesome Mai Chau trip. Enjoy the rest of your travels. VBH Crew Manager