Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho
  • Restaurant
US$62
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa(Hanoi)
US$78
US$75
US$70
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsst josephhoan kiem lakegreat locationrecommend this hotelrooms are smallold quarterpho gathe penthousestayed at this hotel for nightsnice hotelha noibuffet breakfastvietnamese coffeea great staymirrorstreetreceptionist
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Church is small boutique located perfectly near good restaurant, nice coffee shop, ATM, galleries and small nice shops in the heart of old quarter Hanoi. We found this hotel last year when we walk around Chatedral Area. The old hotel just been renovated nicely. We actually like the interior, however there are some problem on air conditioning in the afternoon around 3-5pm and a leaking water from the shower made all the bathroom floor wet, every time we finish shower.

We choose our hotel in the higher floor (6 Floor) with street view. There is no noise from the street, but if you are a light sleeper be ready on the noise from other room

Not only centrally located and nicely designed, the staff in this hotel are actually friendly.
But sometimes, they just don't understand what you want because of their limitation in English. This made our last hour in this hotel become a disaster. My partner booked a 7 seaters for our transfer to airport around 3am to catch up early flight and reconfirm a night before.

We are so nervous, because the taxi is not there.
There are only two person available in the lobby and both have no initiative to prepare the back up transportation. The reception keep on asked us to wait for 5 minutes. After 45 minutes of waiting, I start to loose patient and push the male reception to call for 24 hours taxi. Then the 4 seaters taxi arrives. As we predicted, this type of taxi is not enough as we have many big luggages.

Finally, after another moment of waiting, we got our 7 seaters taxi.
It was a scary ride to the airport, as the taxi has to reach airport in 30 minutes to catch up the flight under big rain in Hanoi in the middle of the dark morning.
We can not imagine if we just sit and wait for the reception to arrange the taxi.

Too bad that this nice hotel can not arrange the transportation for their guest..

Room Tip: Higher Floor with Street View Street View are hot in the afternoon
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank timjahja
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Church has threee properties around the central Hanoi area at Hang Gai, Hang Ca and Nha Tho. I stayed in Hang Gai which is in the middle of the French Quarter and all the action. Shops, restaurants, coffee and walks around the market and lake are right on the doorstep. The Hotel is clean and stylish, the breakfast great and varied and the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are small but modern with everything you need for comfort. I stayed her many times in 2011 and 2012 and never had a bad experience. There are many other boutique hotels in the area which I did not sample because I was so happy with this one. Highly recommend for short term visits to Hanoi.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank dude6988
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is a very small boutique hotel in a central area in Hanoi. There were 3 rooms on each floor and although my room on the 7th floor overlooked the street, there was no street noise to be heard. In fact the only noise to be heard was the closing of each guest's room door. Although the room is small it is beautifully decorated and lacks for nothing. It even includes a set of bathroom scales for the guest. The mattress is firm and the doona and pillows are soft and fluffy. The only negative I could comment on was the mirror on the bathroom door which opened inwards towards the toilet.. Most people probably would not like to have a mirror facing them when using the toilet.The staff are lovely, always smiling and very efficient. the buffet breakfast is adequate although a little more fresh fruit would be great. Love this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JJ1212
Reviewed 23 March 2013

It is a great pity that the food served in the restaurant was so dismal compared with the polite staff. There was only one other table tonight. Why did it take nearly an hour to present our meals? One friend's chicken was cooked to perfection, but included limp brown lettuce, my "Sweet and sour prawns (a pitiful six small prawns) came with the same wilted mushy lettuce! But my other friend was served raw chicken in a BBQ sauce which we returned to the kitchen. It was more than 40 minutes before we decided to leave, still hungry. We could hear the 4 people at the other table complaining about the slow service. Even if the kitchen had to go out and buy more chicken, I have no idea why it took so long. But she did get served rice with her piece of BBQ chicken. My prawns in a bright yellow sauce- no rice. I most certainly would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank KnowledgeHunt
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your comment about our restaurant. Concurrently, we're really sorry for the bad experiences you've gone through. There's no rescues could be accepted for this case. This's definitely the lesson for us to train our staffs to do better. We do hope that you feel much better now.

Once again, thank you for your stop off at our La Petite Eglise Restaurant. Please noted that it's an honor for us to welcome you back to our hotel one more time in the near future.

Best regards,

Pauline Thanh Do
Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Located a stone's throw from the Cathedral in Hanoi, we chose this hotel because of its apparent clean facade. The lobby of the hotel is decked in white and the rooms looked white and clean, at first. Because most hotels, like this one offers complimentary breakfast, that is not a major differentiator in Hanoi. However, attention to detail and cleanliness makes or breaks it for me. Initially, everything looked okay but after two nights, details come into focus.

I usually shower in hotels but, after walking around in colder-than-usual Dec weather, I wanted to take a hot bath. Although the white tub looked clean to the eye, I ran my hands on the side of the tub and realized that it hadn't been properly scrubbed or wiped down - there was scum on it. If anything, the maids just ran water over the tub after the last occupant used it and did not bother to actually clean or wipe it down. Gross! Because I didn't have a scrubber and had not expected an uncleaned bathtub, I spent about 5 minutes using the small hand towel and hot water to clean the tub properly. After I thoroughly cleaned the tub, I ran the hot water again for my bath. Sadly, the hot water supply was limited from my cleaning and the hot water was no longer available. I turned off the hot water and waited for it to reheat but, even after thirty minutes, the hot water was no longer hot, just tepid. Okay, lesson learned is that if you are thinking of staying at the church hotel, either take showers with your own flip flops on or bring your own scrubber and cleaner so that you can clean the bathtub and take a tepid bath.

There were only three or four rooms on each floor. As a result, I expected it to be quiet, but it wasn't. Whenever another hotel guest entered or exited their room, you could hear it. It felt as if our front door was wide open, but it wasn't. I guess it was the thin walls or thin door.

The hotel staff were very friendly and nice, but that is generally true everywhere we went in Hanoi.

We asked the hotel to arrange car service to the airport for our early morning flight. Because we would be leaving before 6 am, when breakfast starts, the hotel reception asked if we wanted a breakfast basket to go. We didn't have high hopes but we expected something edible.

The breakfast basket included two pieces of bread, a banana, ham and an egg. If we had opened the basket in the taxi and proceeded to eat, we would have gotten sick. Fortunately, we waited until we arrived at the airport and in the light of the airport terminal, we opened our baskets and discovered that the bread the hotel put in our basket was filled with mold. We ate the banana, which looked okay, but threw the rest in the garbage. It made me wonder if the hotel did not care to pay attention because we were leaving.

When we got to the airport, the taxi driver arranged by the hotel dropped us off at domestic departure instead of international departure. He seemed to be in a hurry to drop us off and leave. We saw the hotel staff paying him after he loaded our luggage into the taxi so maybe he had no incentive to drive us a little farther to the international departure. If you are taking car service from a hotel, double-check before you get out of the taxi that he/she is dropping you off at the correct place.

From a boutique hotel, we excepted more. The uncleanliness of the bathtub and the molded bread makes me wonder what other shortcuts the hotel takes that most visitors would not realize until it's too late. I won't be recommending or going back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 2travelandeat
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure welcoming you at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho an H&K Hospitality property. I thank you for your kind and thoughtful feedback.

I am sorry for all the inconveniences during your stay, especially the cases caused by our staffs with the breakfast take away preparation and the room cleaning. I apologize that this experience put a shadow over what seemed to have been otherwise a good stay and we hope that you are feeling much better now.

We hope to welcome you back to Church Boutique Hotels whenever you are in Ha Noi.

Yours Sincerely,