“Great location, nice hotel”

Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho
Ranked #226 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great location, nice hotel”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great location - really close to the Old Town and Little Paris. In a tree lined street with some nice restaurants literally within metres of front door. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was great!! Room was compact but clean and well appointed with a pretty comfy bed. Bathroom was chic but a design fault with the shower-bath means a very wet floor - we rectified the problem by daming the water via judicious use of towels. (Worth noting that friends who live in a brand new luxury development here in Sydney suffered the same problem). Only real bathroom issue was the glass wall - needs to be fully opaque to maintain "the mystery". Our room was on the stairwell and close to the lift but we didn't find it unduly noisy. We certainly heard our neighbour's door slam shut, but that is hardly an unusual thing in hotels!! We would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kerri L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Besides its good location, the other aspects of my experience with the hotel was rather disappointing.
* The kitchen's smell permeates into my room every morning.
* The bathroom floor is always wet even after closing the shower door.
* The daily laundry was not delivered on time. On one occasion, I had to chase repeatedly for it. They confessed that they had left it at a hotel corner unattended.
* Breakfast and overall service was uninspiring especially when compared to other boutique hotels nearby.
Will not go back. :-(

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank WinstonExplorer
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Great location and on the surface looks good.

As per other reviewers comments the walls are paper-thin and the doors do not block any noise from the corridors. If you have a room by the lift (the most expensive rooms), you get to hear people coming and going all night and the staff yelling up and down stair-well.

Service is non existent and there is a general feeling of apathy from all staff (maybe I was there on a bad week). Bell-boys watched me through the doors struggling with my luggage, receptionists could not focus on one person during check-out, restaurant staff more interested in their iPhones than their customers.

The hotel website is misleading and many of the facilities do not exist. The price is ridiculous for Hanoi considering the range of options.

This hotel sums up Hanoi tourism. Looks good from afar and on the surface; but don't scratch too hard.

Room Tip: A good room can be found in another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gee_Erm
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review about the experiences you have with us on November.

We're really sorry about all the thing has happened during those days that made your stay uncomfortable. We promise to train the all the hotel staffs more and more to express the better service quality to customer.
On behalf of the hotel, I my self highly appreciate your comment as it help us to look back our service to know what we have to do to improve the hospitality service.

We do hope to welcome you back and stay again with our hotel in the near future.

Thanks and best regards,

Your sincerely,

Pauline Thanh
Assistant General Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Fantastic location.
Prompt and friendly service.
Clean, warm, and comfortable room.
Wonderful (but leaky) shower.
Delicious buffet breakfast.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to fellow travellers. There are lots of cute shops and restaurants nearby, too.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jenny L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 December 2013

There are so many hotels in Hanoi that I wasn't sure where to stay. Many guide books suggest booking 1 night in a hotel and then visiting a few others to see if you want to change. I did just that and looked at a room at the Church Boutique Hotel Nah Tho before I booked.

Upon arrival the reception guy was on his cell phone and barely acknowledged me. He took my passport and handed me off barely saying five words. I was surprised there was no maps given out or even any information on Hanoi. I had been in town a few days, but this guy didn't know that.

The rooms are beautifully decorated, large, have comfortable beds and state of the art bathrooms. The high speed internet is great as I was on a working trip. The bathroom is beautifully to look at and functions well except that you have to step up high to get into the bathtub. This didn't bother me, but after hoisting myself into the tub I thought that anyone over 60 or with poor balance would be in danger of falling.

The breakfast offering was large for both Western and Vietnamese food, although the staff acted put out when I requested a Vietnamese coffee. I didn't see them make my coffee, but I suspected that they put ice and condensed milk into a glass and then poured the hot coffee from the already brewed pot into the glass.

The hotel is located in an excellent part of the old quarter with great clothes and art shopping. It's a block from the lake and within walking distance to a lot of the major sites. I might consider staying here in the future now that I know how the staff will behave. I can just ignore them and
enjoy my room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank WorldHealthTravels
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Nha Tho, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your opinion sharing about our hotel during your stay with us on November.
It's great to know that you enjoyed your trip in Hanoi and happy with the room. We'll overcome the minus point you've mentioned according to the bathroom. We'll definitely training the staff both in front desk and restaurant more and more to deliver the better service quality to guest.
Please be sure that your comment help us to look back our service to know what's we still lack of and to fix it immediately..

We do hope to welcome you comeback and stay again with our hotel in the near future.

Thanks and best regards,

Your sincerely,

Pauline Thanh
Assistant General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights after staying in dorm rooms for three weeks.
It was a few nice break.
The room are very clean and the bathroom was spacious. The staff were friendly also.
The highlight was the buffet breakfast with eggs cooked to order or Pho (noodle soup) along with a huge array of hot and cold dishes, pastries, fruits and yogurts.
This location offers excellent value for money for the service provided. Conveniently located in the city too.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Slapheado
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The room (Augustine) was nice, but some sneaky previous guest used the razor and shaving cream from the complimentary toiletries and then left the half used shaving cream in the pack - housekeeping did not check it. Rooms have thin walls so you hear people in the hall talking. When booking a tour I specifically asked that the tour company drop me back at the hotel, the hotel staff member said he would ensure that. I also asked for the optional water puppet show at the end of the tour. I got the water puppet show but the tour company did not pick me up after it and they only told me when dropping me off. I ended up walking back, but I should have been told this earlier by the hotel. Also I had to pay for the tour in cash only. On the good side, staff were courteous but some had limited English. I read on another website about how great the Pho soup was at the hotel restaurant - I can 100% agree. It was so good I had it two nights in a row; it was a good price and good serving portion. And service was fast. Other good points: close to the church and lots of shops and I felt safe walking around.

Room Tip: If traveling solo ask hotel to send a car service to and from the airport
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo