“My home in Hanoi”

Ranked #172 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Odense, Denmark
“My home in Hanoi”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Flower Hotel has become my home in Hanoi... Since 2003 now 10 years I come almost every year sometimes several times and sometimes for several weeks.

I would not stay anywhere else, staff are so nice, like family, always look like they are so happy to see me again. They are helpful, if I need something like a haircut, where to go and a bookshop a printer etc.. a bank anything one needs when on business for weeks.

I always ask for ''my room'' on the 8th floow to the street with the view over all those typically Hanoi houses and the Red River, and has a great shower, and I usually get it, I love the 2 restaurants with the fantastic view of the Red River .... and the breakfast is very good ... and so is Vietnamese food for dinner. And room service is good and with a smile.

Clean as clean... I really appreciate that.

Because I came to help the Agent Orange Victims and came so often I got a good discount... I think the price is very reasonable... I travel all over Asia but similar quality is more expensive in Indoneisa, Japan, Twn and Thailand.

And its very safe.

So ya I love the Flower Hotel. Its simple like I am and it fits my pocket... and it is very Vietnamese with that I mean so very friendly like smiling..

Bente Petersen

NB The pictures shown on this site are not good - it is much nicer

Room Tip: From 6th floor up and to the street,
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Bente P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Verdalsören, Nord-Trondelag, Norway
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed three nights at Flower, and it was ok. The superior room is not very fancy, but it has what you need. Not very soft bed either, but we slept well anyway. A little minus for the first cold shower, but after a complain it became really hot.
We had a nice view, guess the suites must be overwhelming. Plus for the wifi and easy battery recharge possibilites.
The absolute best with our stay was a dinner at the restaurent. Amazing and the best during 15 days in Vietnam. The breakfast buffet was also good.

Room Tip: The higher, the better. View!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TorR_12
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel 2 times. First on my way to Ha Long Bay and later when I got back from Sapa.
It is in the old city which means a lot of noice and traffic when you walk around in the vicinity. It is only 10 minuttes walk from Ga Long Bien (the station with trains to Lao Cai). 30 minuttes walk from Ga Hanoi (Central trainstation). Rooms are clean and the breakfast is OK. Restaurant on the 14th floor so a good view over the city. Second time I stayed for 2 days and there was a lot of construction noice as they are doing some construction work on the hotel

Room Tip: More quite if you can get a room not facing the street below.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richardt H
FlowerGroup, General Manager at Flower Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Richardt H,

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

We are looking forward to welcoming you if you visit Hanoi again.

Shall we keep in touch if you need any assistance.

Best regards,
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a larger group. We longed for our previous hotel (on our own), as this hotel was more average. Good breakfast spread, many options. We ate at the restaurant once - good duck and noodles. Nothing out of the ordinary for the rooms. Poor location if you want to walk anywhere or explore the city. Nothing nearby.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MeganLD
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is a nice small hotel, clean rooms and reasonable breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
nyc
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have stayed at the flower about 5 times in the previous 5 years and am about to book another stay. About 5 years ago they were a great deal. At about $30 USD it was a GREAT value. Personally I really enjoy the staff and have gotten to know them well. They have always welcomed me with a smile and I have actually been out for meals with them, from the door man to the front desk people. (not kidding). So I personally think the staff are very friendly (duh!). They've always tried to help me.

The location? it's located near our office so that's why I have stayed there, but for a time when our office was relocated closer to the city center it was a bit of a pain to get to the city center. Other reviewers are correct, it is about a 20-25 minute walk if you know what you are doing. There is NOT much around once it gets dark there, but this is why I keep going back. People are right that it IS noisy there if you have a room facing the front of the hotel (these are mostly the big expensive rooms); guess they thought it was nicer to let the high paying guests to have a view of the front street! But I always take a room in the back, where the loud speakers are. If you are not aware, the communist government still behave like communists and in every neighborhood in the north they announce propaganda out of these speakers every stupid morning!

On the other hand, I like the location because it IS actually very dark and "quiet" (relative to other locations I've seen near by). There are NO bars near by and there are no backpackers either. What is there? in the morning and in the evening when I am at the hotel I know I can get a great meal just around the corner. There is a street with tons of food and a market. On Thursday nights there is a night market within about a 5 minute walk. And this is why I like staying here.

As for the facility? It IS clean. I think the staff are honest and the try and work hard. Having gotten to know them, I also know that the owners don't have their backs and I personally do not care for them. They've had some success and it's gone to their heads. Hence the high price! Today it IS over priced for what they are. They should be about $35-50 for what it is. (I have thought about staying at the hilton at $150 a night).

So in a nutshell - Positives: Friendly staff, cleanliness, location (specific to my wants)
Negatives: Price, price, price.

FYI - there are several other hotels within a block for about 1/3 to1/2 the price but of lesser quality as well. Can't remember the names.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Enjoyed my stay in this hotel. Location was fine as close to the old quarter of the city. Rooms where perfectly adequate and most important, where clean. The breakfast had a good range of Western and Asian food. Hotel staff were very friendly. I would definitely saty here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends