“Would recommend it”

Ranked #281 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Remich, Luxembourg
“Would recommend it”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Very friendly and helpful staff, my wallet got stolen on the 2nd night of my stay while walking around in Hanoi and it is not easy to explain this to the local police because they don't speak english nor french or german. So I got assistance straight away from a very friendly hotel employee who took me on his privat bike to the police and translated for me.

I also had to change my arrival date, and did it only two days in advance without any problem from the hotel side. The hotel also has a huge offer of day trips and 2 day trips.
I can only recommend this hotel to anybody.
Thanks again to everybody,
Daniel, Luxembourg

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Laui1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Just came back from a 18 days trip to Vietnam. Hanoi, and Duc Thai was my first
contact with Vietnam. Tom, the hotel manager was the most efficient in replying
back. We were picked up at the airport, they charge us 15$ US. When your
arriving from a 24 hr flight, and that you don't need to argue or hassle for the
price of a taxi, that's worth 15$, and it's also a 45 minutes rides back. Peter
was waiting for us, young trendy/ spiky hair with a warm smile on his face.
Small hotel on Hang Ga (The street of the Chicken), in the middle of the old
quarters. For me, one of the best place to stay if you want to live the Hanoi
experience to the fullest. And at 35$ US for a very big double room, very clean,
hot shower, clean towels, free breakfast, free Internet, and always treated like
a king, come on, don't hesitate, start your trip there !!

We booked all of our trip with Tom, home stay in Mai Chau, Halong Bay, he even
booked our plane ticket to fly to Ho Chi Minh. Sure he's taking his commission,
who would not (I'm a sales rep I really understand) but even so, we were surprise
by the price we paid for what we got, really a first class trip. We even
requested a French guide for the Mai Chau trip, and Tom found one. We were
driven by one and entertain by Loc, our French/ Vietnamese guide in a very
comfortable, leather seated/air conditioning Toyota mini-van. Sure we sleep on
the floor in a wooden stack house in the middle of no where, but this is what we
wanted. If this is not what you are looking for, book the Sheraton in Florida
and don't bother us with your complain on Trip Advisor.

We left our luggage at the Duc Thai for our 2 day trip, and we felt very secure
leaving it behind. When we came back, we decided to " call in" our dinner.
Peter found us a menu, and he call for us to order ;-) We went on the same
street on we bought a Australian wine bottle for 10$, 180 000 Dong, and we had a
Bed In dinner in Hanoi and a Australian red wine. They even found us a
corkscrew and some chop sticks!!

We decided to stay one more night coming back from Halong Bay (We stayed on the
White Dolphin Junk, recommended by Tom, a little bit more expensive, but we were
treated like King's and Queen's again, free kayak (the other charge you up to
66$ US), sea food for lunch and dinner, all included, worth every penny) the Duc
Thai was fully book, so Tom found us a room in a hotel on the next street (Same
owner I think).

Once in Saigon, we realized that we forgot some receipt back in Hanoi, and Tom
send it to one of his friend, 2 street from our hotel before the end of our
trip. Really an amazing contact to have in a place like Vietnam where you have
difficulty to communicate. I would go back to the Duc Thai any time, and would
recommend a stay in Duc Thai to anyone, even my parents.

A big thanks to Tom, ( I had the pleasure of seeing his bride to be in 15 days,
so if Tom is not answering you in a heart beat in the next week, please
understand ), Peter and all the people in the Duc Thai hotel that made us fall
in love with Hanoi in the first place and Vietnam after. Best trip ever so far,
and I did my part of travelling the world. If you are real travellers you will
enjoy the Duc Thai and Hanoi, if you are not, that mean you are not worthy of
having a chance to meet these wonderful people with the biggest heart I have
seen so far.

One week today that I'm back in Montreal, and I would jump on a plane today if I
could

=^.^= Eric and Ginette

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Malamut
Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 2 March 2009

I have been there with my family for 3 nights: Tom Ngo and his staff took great care of us. The hotel is ideally located, and for this reason, nights are a bit noisy. Internet is free of charge in the little dining room where breakfast is served. Tom arranged us a good trip in Ha Long Bay, with a very reasonable price. He also replies very fast at e-mails.
The only thing is: bathroom curtains need a serious washing! Thank you very much...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Tam1979
Europe
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Stayed in this hotel on and off for 11 days, in between trips in Northern Vietnam. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location is great - only 10-15 mins walk to the lake and in a busy busstling part of the city. Would recommend this hotel for people who like to be central and feel a part of life around.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TR4Europe
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2009

Some of the positives about Duc Thai (95B Hang Ga) were that, unlike the majority, they responded very quickly to our online room booking request and subsequent emails. They answered equally swiftly and politely when I called from Hoi An, 2 days before our arrival, to change our booking. However, on the same phone call, I'd also clearly said to the manager to cancel our airport taxi pickup (we'd realized this way was more costly), which he repeated back to me and confirmed. So it was a bit annoying to find a driver waiting for us upon our arrival. We couldn't very well ignore him with our name nice and big on his placard.

The hotel itself is a very narrow building on a very busy street... easy to miss because of this, and because its other name "Golden Dragon" or something was more prominent to my eye than "Duc Thai". Check-in was fine, as well as the room. It was clean, the bed was soft, the flat-screen TV and hot water worked, and there was free soap, shampoo, toothbrush & paste. We were on the 5th floor (there is an elevator), but we could still hear quite a lot of traffic noise. Nevertheless, we had no trouble falling asleep, we were so tired! The breakfast is very ordinary (see photo), served in a small room at the back of the hotel, with the 2 internet PCs (free to use).

We paid for our 3 nights, 2 days Sapa trip with the hotel for US $100/person (discounted $5)- with a homestay initially. Later, we stumbled across Rose Hotel and Mr. T told us we'd paid US$15 too much, that homestays have no heating and we'll be freezing cold, and that we were entitled to a 4 star hotel for what we paid. So at first, we felt ripped off, but Mr. T turned out to be a scumbag (see my Rose Hotel review), and in the end, we thought Duc Thai wasn't so bad after all. Anyway, before we knew about Mr. T, we told the 2nd manager/worker (younger guy with a strong square face and spiky hair) what we'd found out and demanded our homestay be changed to a 4 star hotel- this was about 4 hrs before we were due to be picked up for our Sapa trip. Understandably, he wasn't happy at all and tried to talk his way out of the 4 star hotel, but conceded in the end when my friend insisted it wasn't as expensive as he made out. What followed was about 2 hrs of phone calling and laptop research by the guy, who was getting visibly angry and frustrated by the minute- at one point, he slammed the phone down and walked off, leaving who we presumed to be the hotel owner to do the rest of the work. All the while we sat there waiting and watching, not a word was said to us. I thought this was pretty unprofessional, but this might be the norm in Vietnam. To these people's credit, they didn't direct their anger at us at this point or when we got back from Sapa to stay another night.

Our train ride to Sapa and the first day was all good- we were put up in the Bamboo Sapa Hotel. However, Duc Thai seemed not to have organized our stay that well, because Bamboo Hotel had to call them to confirm that we were entitled to free meals, and the tour guide didn't realize he had us for the 2nd day as well! After a few hours and speaking to a manager, a trip to Cat Cat was arranged. I have to say to other travellers to please have a copy of your itinerary, so you at least, will know for sure what you're entitled to. When we got back from Sapa, we read that we were suppose to have lunch by the waterfall at Cat Cat. We had no lunch at all. We also had to pay to see a cultural show, which we thought was included in the package.

We got back from Sapa about 5- 6am and the hotel was closed, with the security door shut. It was still dark outside. We rang the door bell repeatedly, but there was no answer for at least 15-20 mins. Eventually, a very sleepy 2nd manager/worker opened the gate for us (he'd been sleeping behind the desk in the lobby) and after awhile to gather himself, he asked how our Sapa trip was. For some reason, I expected him to be snappy since we woke him up, but he was quite pleasant, considering.

Check-out was completed by the quieter 1st manager/worker, who didn't charge us for a bottle of mineral water.

So overall, not a bad hotel. We might've had less inconveniences had we not come across Rose Hotel and changed our mind so late about the homestay.

• Liked — Location's not bad.
  • Disliked — Could be more professional
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank woozie3
ducthaihotel, Manager at Duc Thai Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2009
Dear Sir/Madam,
Firstly, I would like to send my best thanks to reviewer and partner who make a big contribution to my business. I guarantee that will try my best to make my Hotel's services better and better. However, I would like to make the response to the review as details below:
1) Recieving your booking change, my staff tried his best to fix on the last minutes (Private tour with homestay-----> Hotel's stay with group tour) as your request ( Stay at Bamboo Hotel), not by my recommendation.
2) About the prices, there are hundred travel agents and the hotels with the fierce competition, they could give 10%-20% discount when they realized you had already booked the trip. However, they could give you the bad qualities of accommodation, transportation, food,...different from their promise ( See the Rose hotel's review).
3) The Sapa tour, all the meals ( B, L,D) were included as the contract with Bamboo Hotel. I did not recieved any complaint from the tour ( Without Lunch at Waterfall Cat Cat) until now.If you told me when you came back from Sapa, I would solve every problems for you, even 100% money back as my promise. The entrance fees were included but culture show was not in the tour program ( The tour guide tried to get commision from the show).
4) Coming back from Sapa in the early morning, I was so sorry to tell you that the bell did not operate so my staff could not anything from you(I had fixed it right next morning).

I hope that all Tripadvisor visitors can have an objective reviews on my hotel services.

Tom Ngo,
Hotel Manager.
Germany
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We stayed 4 nights in the hotel. The hotel is located in the Old Quarter. Hotel rooms are clean. The hotel manager and staff are very helpful and take care of their guests. During a trip to Halong Bay we could leave our luggage their without paying for the rooms.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank German100
Marin County, California
Reviewed 1 February 2009

What a wonderful place to stay!

Not a fancy hotel but with a great staff and excellent location we truly enjoyed our stay. Tom and his crew could not have been any more helpful, absolutely 100% oriented to service with a smile. Tom was able too quickly handle ALL of our travel reservations once we got to the hotel and with the location we could get to everywhere in Hanoi very easily. This was our favorite hotel in all of Vietnam,
The rooms overlooking the street have a bit more noise, but then you are in Hanoi so there is bound to be some noise. The breakfast isn't extravagant but is well-prepared, ample and delicious. Everyone working at this hotel was always eager and polite. I can't imagine anyone handling travel arrangements any better than Tom, worth staying at the Duc Thai just for the ease of booking right there in the lobby with Tom.
I would stay here any and every time I'm in Hanoi, and so would my family.

• Liked — The location and the wonderful staff.
  • Disliked — That we were only able to stay three nights.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family