“Incredible Staff and Elegant Hotel.”
Review of Duc Thai Hotel

Duc Thai Hotel
Ranked #288 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I came to Hanoi after few days in South Vietnam. Hanoi in December is cold, that kind of cold is different with my country. But, this was supprised me in the cold winter is gone when i come to stayed in Duc Thai Hotel. Like understand the weather can make the guest like me feel not good after the long trip from the South Vietnam, the staff of the hotel made me feel much comfortable like i was staying in my home, warm and friendly. The hotel is quiet good and very close location to the center. The price is not high, very suitable with me.
So, i recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 May 2010

Duc Thai hotel was the only thing we've reserved before going to Vietnam. The only thing we had asked for had been a clean and quiet room. The room was not ready when we arrived (9 AM), but Tom immediatly gave us another room that we have used for a good nap. The Duc Thai is in the center of the 36 streets quarter, so nothing to say about his localization.

During our 15 days in Vietnam and our 3 stays in Hanoi, we've tested 4 rooms : all were clean and like quiet (all they need to fix this is real double glazing). The breakfast is good, even if the hotel crew members sometimes tend to recreate a storm with the breakfast room (also Internet room) fans.

So the hotel by itself is rather good. But if you take into account the service, it is well worth a luxury hotel. We've asked for a boat trip in the Halong Bay : the boat was perfect, the trip too, even if the Cat Ba Island hotel was really catastrophic (like a russian communism ghost house).

We've asked for a package (including private car - guesthouse - boat trip - lunch) in the Ba Be Lake : perfect
We've asked for a luxury hotel in Hoi An : perfect
We've asked for a massage in Hanoi : wonderfull and cheap

Reviewed 8 May 2010

We went to Vietnam in May 2010 and stayed in 4 hotels in different locations throughout the country. In that regard, the Duc Thai is easily the best experience we had.

The hotel looks like just any other one around the old quarter in that price range ($25). Interior is ok, nothing fancy. Rooms are clean, bathtubs in everyone of them, AC + fans. Breakfast is included, and there are 2 PCs with free Internet at the clients' disposal.

What really got us coming back as we went around was the staff. The Vietnamese are extremely nice and welcoming people, and well, the ones working in this hotel aren't going to become an exception soon... and they are so accommodating! We were given more than useful info during our stay, and they even let us have free showers and breakfast twice in between trips outside from Hanoi, although we hadn't booked anything with them. And there was simply no way they would let us pay for the service...
We had some real nice chats with the guys, and I even had 2 of them sing "Happy Birthday" to my sister in front of the camera!...

If no one gave you any input for a nice place to stay in Hanoi, go for this one.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I must be the only one I do not think the Duc Thai as they like to call it, is a modern boutique hotel my bathroom room was years old with the shower curtain held up with bits of wire, Tom who is part of the ownership of this hotel is very good and helpful, but as for the buffet breakfast they batch cook rock hard fried eggs and just leave them in a heated tray, we did that back in the sixties in the UK not a small hotel claiming to be a modern boutique hotel, they had the staff there how hard is it to fry fresh eggs when guests want them, all my other hotels on my months holiday did, and at $25 (the most expensive on my holiday) a night even with pick up from airport it is at the top end of budget hotels in Hanoi, I was going to stay 3 nights 1 was enough, when I came back from Halong Bay I moved to a hotel for $12 a night room only and it was a lot more modern.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
hanoiducthaihotel, Manager at Duc Thai Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

Dear Michael and all value guests,

First of all, I would like to apologise to you for making you unhappy during the time you stayed at my hotel. All your experience is a big contribution to me and my staff. We will try our best to improve the hotel services better and better! The curntain and others are fixed!
About the breakfast, we always have a staff in the restaurant to serve at the table. Any one can order fried fresh eggs as much as they want.
Finally, in bottom of my heart, I would like to send the best thanks to you for a review and I also promise that I am trying my best to give the best services to our guests.

Wishing everyone a full of healthy and happy in the life.

Best

Tom Ngo

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2010

We stayed here over 8 days and couldnt have wished for a better hotel in Hanoi for the great value. Rooms are large and clean with everything you need as Hanoi is not the city for staying in your hotel, the streets are the place to be! Tom and all the staff could not do enough for us, booking tours to Mai Chau and Halong Bay which were priced more than competitively compared to tour sellers. Stored luggage while we were away at no extra costs. Breakfast is basic but all you need and cosy home style lounge room is good place to catch up with other travellers as you sit around a large communal table.

Kids loved the room sizes and also free use of 2 computers and wifi! Also there were a number of other families staying so all the kids caught up regularly at the computer area which they enjoyed.

Front desk staff know all the local old quarter area so well, simply ask where something is and immediately you are handed a map with directions!

For dining close to the hotel there is an excellent Chicken Rice restaurant across the road which has 4 levels and the view from the balcony is fantastic watching the streets and roof lines of the old quarter. Food is lovely, very reasonable and then across the road to duc thai for bed!

We hope to be back with Tom and the staff at Duc Thai one day soon!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2010

We arrived late after a delayed flight to be met at the airport by the car from the Hotel as arranged although we were almost 3 hours late. The manager Tom met us at the Hotel, and checked us in and quickly gave us a map and showed us where we were in relation to all the sights in Hanoi and suggested a suitable walking tour. This was the type of first class service we got all through our stay. We had booked a 2 night trip to Halong bay through an agency but again they had no problem holding our bags until our return. After travelling for almost 4 weeks in Vietnam and staying in different quality accomodation what stands out about the Duc Thai Hotel is the friendliness of the staff and there genuine willingness to do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Reviewed 9 April 2010

Booked our stay, airport transfers and a tour to Halong Bay 2 nights 3 days with Tom over the internet from Australia confirming dates and prices. Tom replied promptly to our emails.Driver was at the airport, nice greeting at hotel after checking into our room Tom inquired what we would like to do in Hanoi then got us a town map showed us where to go.Our tour went of with out a hitch.Prices remained as per email quotes.Nice people would stay there again.
Syd Maree