“AVOID!”

Ranked #477 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Dirty, smelly, with unfriendly staff. Stayed as part of a tour... had to be relocated to a different hotel due to horrific standards. Live rat found under bed sheets by another couple on our trip. Absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelsWithMyCameraX

Business
Darwin, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

There are better value places to stay than this. The location for the early morning train heading south is the only plus that comes to mind.This is an old and tired hotel and it shows.
STAFF: Unfriendly. Very few speak English, smiles are infrequent and It all seems just too hard.
BAR: None in the hotel. Warm Beer is kept at reception on dusty shelves and is often not available. Luckily there are places close by where cold local ales are readily available.
FOOD: We only ate their once and the food was ordinary. There are lots of quality eateries in the near vicinity which is probably the only other plus for staying here.
ROOMS: Poor is an understatement. A sunken double bed with dirty and smelly linen. Dirty floors and stained curtains. A fridge that wouldn't get cold and a TV and wall clock that didn't work was bad enough but it was cold and no heating of any sort was available. Oh...and the bathroom was worse!
LOCATION: Not too bad. Pretty central for sights and close to good restaurants and the train station.
GUESTS: Mostly Asian. Some Brit's and a few Aussi's and Kiwi's were there to hook up with tour groups.
RATING: A hotel with multiple floors and no lift! If you have a choice look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank maroochysun

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2011

not alot to say about this hotel rooms were dirty breakfast was ok location is not great you need to get taxis one good point close to train station

• Stayed March 2010
durham, enlgand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

I had the delight of staying in this hotel for 2 nights as part of my Intrepid Vietnam Adventure Tour. I had already read the horrific reviews, so took my own bedding, planned for the worst but hoped for the best. The area isn't bad, it's a 5 minute walk to the Temple of Literature and close to the War Museum, Botanical Gardens etc.

The room I stayed in for the first night was to the rear of the hotel so moderately quiet, however I also stayed at the front overlooking the main road which is noisy 24/7 from all the beeping of horns on mopeds and cars, general street noise and Kareoke bars. Ear plugs are essential. The rooms weren't a fair size and the furniture is quite nice, had it of been cleaned.

The downfall for all the rooms is that none of it is clean. My sheets had around 10 pubic hairs and a few strange looking stains on them, basically they can't of been washed and on fresh. The bedside table was very sticky and would of taken them seconds to wipe clean however they failed to do so. Similarly the windows were pitted with dirt. The previous occupant had removed stickers from the bottom of their shoes and placed them on the wall which staff must have liked, as I had to peel them off myself.

The bathroom was grim. It had an old toilet and sink and a hose pipe attached to the wall as a shower. Hardly a wet room, just a dirty, small poor excuse for a bathroom.

I didn't really speak to the staff very much as we only had breakfast there once, which as expected, was not what we ordered, so I would recommend you go to KOTO round the corner which is a fab restaurant which gives jobs to homeless youngsters.

I di however have a run in with the Manager. My group went to Halong Bay for a day trip and got advised to leave passports and other valuables in the hotel safe. We handed our bag over, weren't given a receipt and told they would put it in the safe. On returning the manager checked the safe, told me it wasn't there and made me search a room full of other peoples bags for half an hour. After i didn't find it I came back to reception to find the manager reading a newspaper. I told him it wasn't there and he replied 'Ok'. I had to demand he check everywhere again, this time finding it in the safe, to which he shouted at me that i should of known where it was. He then flung my room key at me. He was aggressive, rude and a disgrace to hoteliers.

Overall, if your have to stop here, I would recommend not taking your own bedding, instead go to a local store and buy a silk sleeping bag for around 45,000 Dong / Just over £1 and use that as they are compact and comfortable.If you have a choice and don't want to sleep in dirty sleeps and rude staff, then avoid. There are plenty of better hotels for a simailr price in the area.

The funny thing is that this could be a nice little hotel but it appears staff and management don't want to spend any time cleaning the rooms. 15 minutes cleaning these rooms and effort to wash sheets would of completely changed my room, plus some modernisation in the bathrooms.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank sjmarr
Hanoi, Vietnam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

We were due to stay two nights at the victory as part of a tour, but we cut our stay short because of the state of this hotel and its staff.
When me and my sister checked into our room (the one with the large crack in the door) we found hair all over the bathroom and some kind of disgusting stain on the supposedly "clean" bedding. When i opened the wardrobe i moved a bag of towels to find two pairs of womens dirty underwear stashed underneath the bag!!
It obviously shows hygiene and cleanliness isnt their top priority!!
But the treatment we got from the staff was absolutely disgusting....
Myself and my sister used the internet downstairs in reception, and as we were there all the staff were sat downstairs chatting, which i do not have a problem with, what i did have a problem with was the fact that one of the staff members took out his phone and took a picture of me! which i find unbelievably rude and rather disturbing, but he then proceeded to send the picture round to the rest of the staff, who by then were all staring at me anyway. Not only did i have my picture taken without permission or even being spoken to in any way, he started to record mine and my sisters conversation AND just sat there playing it back to himself - infront of us! i couldn't believe what was going on. They do not speak good English therefore could not understand what i was saying to them, or if they did they didnt care. The manager didn't take a blind bit of notice, and when we told the rest of the tour what had happend they had experienced far worse behaviour - we had all been out for dinner that night, and when we came back our friends bag had been opened, all her stuff emptied and her camera lay on her bed, which was tucked away and hidden before she left, She looked at her pictures and found someone had been into her room and taken pictures with her camera, then left it on the bed for her to find. When she told reception they didn't bat an eyelid.
This hotel is like some sick disturbing horror film. i advise anybody who is due to stay their on a tour or just looking for a hotel to seriously AVOID THE VICTORY!!!!

• Stayed October 2010
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Like many others, we stayed here on the first night of a tour and had no choice as it was booked with the tour group.
After reading other bad reviews, we cancelled a request with the tour company to book us in for the night before and we are very glad we stayed somewhere elso on our first night in Vietnam!
As mentioned in other reviews, the bedding was filthy as was the bathroom, the rooms were noisy and the breakfast room doubled as the card/smoking room for the staff (and their friends.)
The location was difficult to find but we actually enjoyed roaming the surrounding streets on our first day before meeting up with our tour group in the evening. It is a full on introduction to the city of Hanoi with activity everywhere but we absolutely loved it!
A couple of funny anecdotes about the hotel...there is no smoking inside and signs as such in the lobby, however the staff sat there and the in the breakfast room all day and night puffing on their ciggies! Guests have to outside though.
Also, my mum had trouble sleeping so decided to step outside for some "fresh" (ie terribly polluted!!!) air in the early hours of the morning. Only problem was, she couldn't get outside! The staff were all sleeping all over the floor in the lobby, and any spare space was taken up with their scooters!. Even if she had found a path to the door, she couldn't get out as the security screen was shut and chained up. God forbid there is ever a fire in this place at night because you would never get out!
On top of all of that, you could hear every door open and close and every set of footsteps echoed through the place, making for a very disturbed sleep and an early start to the day.
There are plenty of great 2 and 3 star hotels in Vietnam, this is not one of them.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I advise not to stay here there are plenty of other hotels for cheaper with better facilities in Hanoi. Dissappointments include; first bathroom smelt as though someone had died in it, the second room; was dirty, it didnt look like the bathroom had been cleaned behind the bath, first night stay they ripped us off another $5USD on what our tour leader had advised and extra night had cost, a trip companion had a rat wake him up in the night and run across his bed. The hotel manager told us the massage palour was good across the road only to find we were offered extra services, the final taxi to the airport is $15USD $250,000 Dong at the airport but more expensive from the hotel in Dong. Noise in the foyer and lobby travels directly up the stairwell and into all the rooms. Beware of early wake up calls by this noise. DONOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple