“Awful”

Ranked #123 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Wales
“Awful”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

The rooms are just like you would find in a hostel and worse! The air con was leaking on the headboard and the bed was like sleeping on concrete. Stayed there 1 night which was too long. If your a backpacker this may have been acceptable but there are much better hotels out there for the same price. When we wanted to check out in the morning to go to Halong bay they were very helpful and efficient.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Luckycow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This place is the real deal. After a few weeks in Vietnam, somewhat tired and on edge from being scammed a few times, I needed a comfortable place with trustworthy staff. This place more than fit the bill.

SERVICE: What made this hotel for me was the staff. The manager, Thuyet, Thuy and Xuan (first name basis - pretty sweet) made sure my stay was comfortable and free from stress. If I needed a suggestion for a place to eat, they were eager to help. If I had any issue with the room, they were quick to respond. Even on my day of departure from Vietnam, they were helpful in providing me options to get to the airport and did not try to push me to go with their services. All around, I felt they were simply caring, genuinely nice staff.

ROOMS: For what you're paying, the rooms are great value. Again, this is not a luxury hotel, but the rooms are clean, beds are comfy, bathrooms more than adequate. The cleaning staff are friendly, and usually clean your room before lunch - so just a heads up for those who sleep in.

OTHER: I read in the LP about various scams regarding hotels trying to push guests to book tours through them, and I was initially very skeptical about booking through these guys. After doing some research, and even on the sly asking other guests how the tours were, I was surprised at just how perfectly fine the Halong Bay tour was after booking through the hotel. Sure, I'm guessing they get a small cut of whatever the main tour operators are getting, but still, I found the Halong Bay tour to be surprisingly decent through this hotel. (I did not go to Sapa so can't tell you about that tour.)

Overall, if you're looking for a wholly "un-scammy" and trustworthy place, this is it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
seattle
Reviewed 29 August 2010

This hotel is absolutely fantastic. My first day in Hanoi was pretty unpleasant so I grabbed my backpack, checked out of my last hotel and wandered the streets of Hanoi and found THE RISING DRAGON hotel. It completely changed my entire view on Hanoi!

The staff is amazing! Extremely helpful. They even booked our train tickets for the following day to Hue so that we wouldn't have to pay for a taxi to the train station and wait in line that could have taken out a half a days time. They told my friends and I to enjoy the city while they did all the work! I am very impressed with the amount of English they were able to speak....turns out they had a book behind the desk that they read out of everyday so that they can teach themselves the language!

Breakfast was included in the already very inexpensive price of the room. We had scrambled eggs with some of the best bacon I've had in my life, banana pancakes and fried eggs w/a baguette. All delicious.

The rooms are adorable! Very clean, well kept and fully stocked with toiletries to use. There is also a small TV so you can lounge in your bed with the A/C on. Also, there is an ATM in the lobby of the hotel which makes it very convenient.

The location of the hotel is perfect! Only a block away from Hoan Kiem and if you walk a few blocks down you will hit the night street markets that seem to last forever! This place is an absolute gem and is not to be missed!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed the first night in Hanoi at The World Hostel and was not at all impressed by it. The price was excellent, but there is nothing to reccomend it beyond that. Refused to stay there a 2nd night, and so my friends and I went in search of a new hotel. Walked into The Rising Dragon and got the best service ever from the staff who are so friendly, work hard to help you with everything, even booking train tickets and planning our day trips for us, all for no comission.

The room was very clean, the location is amazing, and they served free breakfast and had internet. All in all, this hotel is a fantastic deal for the price in Hanoi and worth every penny!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Costa Mesa
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Amazing place to stay. The front desk staff is AMAZING. They gave us a great price for the room for 3 people, booked our train tickets to Hue and had the tickets delivered to the hotel, and then fed us the best breakfast!

The hotel is so close to Hoan Kiem lake and is a 2 minute walk to Dong Xuan market. Everything is close by. Cafes, shopping, sighseeing, etc.

Rooms are impeccable and stylish. Very clean, and pretty. The showers were hot, although it can run out and you have a wait a bit before the next person showers. Beds are so comfortable. Great place to recuperate!

Breakfast is included in the price and includes french bread with fried egg, scrambled eggs, banana crepe, or hot chicken soup. Coffee is hot and yummy. Condensed milk and sugar are provided.

Ticket booking is great. They called the train station early in the morning to make sure we got our tickets for an overnight train to Hue, and then had them delivered to the hotel by the time we got back from our day of sightseeing. It saved us a taxi ride to the train station and a long wait to buy the tickets.

We love love this place and would definitely recommend it over other hotels in the area.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Among all the places I stayed in my 2 weeks in Vietnam, this is the best. What sets this hotel apart from the rest is like what most of the rest of the reviews mentioned here; Service/Staff. Mr David Trung, the hotel manager, is definitely the person you'll want to look for when you r in hanoi. Even if you are not staying in this hotel, I would strongly recommend anyone to come look for him for advice on trips around Vietnam. Mr David has lots of good recommendations of where r the authentic places to eat around town (not the typical restaurant that you'll find for tourist), he's also able to arrange and make good recommendations for your trip in Vietnam. The hotel staff is very sincere in their recommendation for trips and booking thro them. Unlike other hotels that i've experience, they don't recommend things that will earn them a bigger commission instead they r really there to give good advice on what's the best options in booking a certain tour and how to go about booking travel n transport so that you get the best deal out of your buck. I've made transport arrangements, halong bay trips, train tickets thro them, not once i was disappointed with their service. Well don't take my word for it, read the rest of the reviews and i'm sure everyone else will tell you the same about this hotel. Definitely my choice of accommodation the next time i'm back in Hanoi.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Suwon, South Korea
Reviewed 24 August 2010

During my stay at the Rising Dragon I was treated with utmost hospitality. I commend the staff for their sincere and honest service. Everyone at the hotel attended promptly and happily to all my questions and needs.

The hotel offers airport pickup and drop off (especially important for a solo traveler) and at a good rate. The room was comfortable and tidy. The location is superb, right in the heart of the Old Quarter. Extra baggage can be comfortably stored at the hotel while on tours and a place to shower is offered with fresh towels when popping into the hotel at odd hours between trips.

The staff helped me book tours that accommodated my travel interests without a problem. I was introduced to tremendous tour guides that made the trips all the more memorable. I was even offered a large bottle of water at no cost for my overnight train ride to Sapa.

But the kind gestures didn’t stop there. Staff even went out of their way to escort me by motorbike to a seamstress in the Old Quarter when I inquired about getting some clothes custom-made. In addition, when feeling spent from my travels on my last day I was offered a room to take a nap at no cost. And the icing on the cake for me was when after forgetting a very valued souvenir upon my departure from Vietnam it was delivered to my home at no hassle.

At the Rising Dragon I was repeatedly made to feel like an important guest. I highly recommend this hotel! Staying here will surely add value to your travel experience in Vietnam.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo