“Rose Hotel, Duong Thanh Street , Hanoi” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hanoi Corner Hotel
Hanoi Corner Hotel
Ranked #294 of 563 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Canberra
“Rose Hotel, Duong Thanh Street , Hanoi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I've read some of the reviews here, and a number of them do not clearly identify WHICH Rose Hotel they are referring to. I've just spent a month at the Rose Hotel at 59 Duong Thanh Street in the Old Quarter. I couldn't have been happier. Their rates were good (and negotiable for a longer stay),the rooms were excellent and the service was as good as I've had in any Western hotel.

To those looking for quiet - this is dowtown Hanoi, for goodness.sake! And also remember that Vietnam is still a 3rd-world country. If you want a Western experience, this isn't the place for you.

But for those who got ripped off by the travel-oriented Rose Hotel (definitely not the one I stayed at), there is no excuse for dishonesty. I know that from time to time I paid a premium for things in Vietnam, but generally this was an odd $1 here or there. Some of these people earn so little that I expected and accepted a little padding here or there, or I did not negotiate particularly hard.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank 54-11-1952

Families
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

The room we had for $20 was ok, but VERY LOUD. Every morning we were awakened at 6am when the scooters start honking in the streets. The bathroom had a big triangular hole for a window...no glass.. and no screen. When the mosquitoes started coming in around dusk, we asked them to cover it. They did nothing. I ended up covering it myself with some athletic tape from our first aid kit.

They said $20 included breakfast, but the first day when we inquired, we had to go to their sister hotel, Liberty Hotel (also not recommended) down the street, where they didn't have power at the time. They served us breakfast they bought from a nearby pho stand, as we sat in darkness, next to the open door to the alley where someone was painting.

We constantly had to refuse pressure to book trips with the Rose Hotel every time we came and went from our room, and they gave us attitude once they realized we were not booking anything with them. Upon check-out they turned off the internet in the lobby so I could not check my email while my fiance paid the bill. They tried to nickle and dime us for everything. The night attendant told us one rate for a phone call, then when we checked out the lady running the place tried to charge us double.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Pinto, Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

We only just left the place and it was OK.
Location: This hotel is a pretty convenient location, right in the city centre. Some shops around and within a 10 minute walk to the lake, water puppet show etc.
Room: The rooms were huge but very basic, clean, the bed comfortable ( we had a standard room). Overall the room was quite good but here comes a small minus: Right in front of the hotel there's a pretty busy street... I wouldn't recomment the hotel for people who are very sensitive to noise. Anyway... me and my friend always slept very well.
Staff: The staffs were extremely friendly. 02 or 03 girl only but they were professional, always efficient, and always greeted us whenever we left of returned to the hotel. They were also helping us for travel information.
Breakfast: They didn't have restaurant so Breakfast was server in other place. Basic and not much thing to say.
Overall: We had a good time in here. Even though we didn't like their breakfast, we were very pleased with our stay and would recommend!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. We spent 7 nights and we had an excellent location to central, shopping in the hustle and bustle of Hanoi. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and even in basic room, I have a Flatscreen TV and shower.
Lee, the new owner (she bought this hotel from friend) and the other staff were lovely- from the second walking into the hotel, they were all very friendly and accommodating. Our room did not become available to us until an hour after the normal check in period and the front desk apologized porofusely as well as provided us with a complimentary bottle of coffee and tea.

The general impression is good and we truly recommend the place because it means great value for money.

PS: Exactly, the hotel lobby looks like travel agency and they arranged a wonderful trip for us to the Sapa for low cost (We shopped around)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

We were staying around the corner at a far nicer hotel but this hotel looks like a travel agency so we stopped and booked our Halong Bay trip and train through them. The night before our Halong Bay cruise was booked, we received a call from the Rose Hotel telling us our cruise was cancelled due to the tropical storm. As the hotel we were booked in was booked, we couldn't extend our stay. My husband arranged to stay at the Rose Hotel the next night to await news on whether we could go to Halong the following Day.
The hotel charged us 10% to change our train tickets as they had to be pushed ahead a day.
The hotel was AWFUL. No elevator and dark circular stairs. The bedding was dirty and the bathroom had a window that was essentially just a hole to the outside with no screen. The balcony faced a noisy street so not much sleep to be had.
The next morning, we were to be downstairs to be picked up for our trip to Halong. We were told 5 minutes before it left that it was again cancelled. At this point, we decided to cancel the Halong tour as we didn't wish to spend more time in Hanoi (had been there a week already) and asked for our money back and to change our train tickets back to the original date & time. It was a nightmare getting our money back. We were told to get it at noon when we checked out. From 9 am till about noon, the girl at the travel desk was doing her best to convince us that heading south to Hue was "not safe" as it was flooding (this wasn't true - they had experienced flooding 2 weeks prior but not at that time)
At noon when we went to check out, we were told that our $140 USD refund would not be there till 3 or 4 when the manager came back as they were too busy. Oh - and also - we owed them ANOTHER 10% of the train fare for them to change it back. We managed to convince them to let us stay till the funds came as we felt the funds should have been available at checkout.
Now, We paid for the top class train ticket available (SE class train). Then were charged another 20% because of the changes needing to be made. We got to the train station and boarded the train to discover we were on an HN train which aren't as clean or as nice and cost less to take.
This hotel is only interested in your money and not at all in keeping people happy!! DO NOT BOOK A ROOM WITH THEM OR BOOK A TOUR!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura R
hanoi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2009

Really con artist the lady working there.....told me taxi ride free to airport for flight to Danang that i booked with Rose Hotel (Han Manh street) but then charged me for it. Also flight was only USD 42 + USD 14 tax but charged USD 80 for it.

Really dirty tactic they pull and gives bad impression of Vietnam tourist agents...

Avoid this place at all cost if you dont want to part with ur hard earned $$$

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank rosesucks
Si Racha, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

The Rose Hotel is more of a travel agent that books treks and cruises to Halong Bay. The Vietmese owner (lady in her 30's) seems to sit and bark instructions at the booking agent when needed. The booking agent I dealt with , "Flower", was very sweet and spoke good English;thus I chose this booking agency over others that had the same itenerary for Halong Bay. The problem is that this particular travel agency will promise you anything, so make sure you get every requst in writing. My buddy and I did not want to follow the Halolng trip itenerary the second day, but have free time and skip the hike into the natiional park (we can do that in Thailand). The agency promised we would be taken to the hotel that morning once the junk docked at the bay. Well, she failed to tell the travel guide anything. Of course this placed him in an awkward position. We wasted the whole morning for a driver to pick us up and take us to the hotel. He never appeared so we joined the main group when they were done with their 3 hour hike. The agency at the Rose Hotel will convince you to book a room when you return. The prices for the same room will varry according to how naive you are. I paid $18...another customer had paid $25...and another one had paid just $12. The owner cannot get bookings from the internet since the hotel has a bad reputation on line, so she runs out to the streets when she sees a group of walking backpackers and says, "YOu wnat room for $10?" I was promised a room NOT facing the honking, noisey street but I found out once I checked into the room, ALL the rooms face the streets. (The rooms are decent for the price.) Next, I needed to stay until 6pm and was told I would have to pay for a half a day (normal request from any hotel). But I reminded Flower that they OWNED my buddy and I $20 each since we wasted a half a day on Cat Ba island. She laughingly admitted her mistake but refused to give me the 4 hours we would stay in the room for free.

With any travel agency, if you request something beyong the set "tour", make sure you get it in writing and make sure your guide knows your requests; for, they do NOT talk to the agents ahead of time. --no connection.

I have been In Saigon a couple times and felt they were more customer friendly. Hanoi is still backwards in tourism...they have the attitude of "give me your money and I will see how little I can do for you..."

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends