“Return Hotel?--it sucks!”
Review of Return Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Return Hotel
Ranked #444 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Vietnam
“Return Hotel?--it sucks!”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My friend and I were looking for a hotel that's clean, safe and with a friendly staff. The receptionist and the son's owner was friendly to us when we inquired. So we decided to stay in this hotel the next day just to try if it's going to give us good service. We were thinking of staying for a month. Since we wanted to try it first so we paid our 10days bill in advance. Here are our nightmares: bed sheets are rarely changed; they have no helper to clean the room; we always request for them to clean the room. Hey, look I hate dirt and it seems that the dust are all piled up. I have to clean it myself since it really sucks looking at those dirt before you go to sleep. We are having a hard time communicating in English because the daytime receptionist was gone after our 5th day of stay; at the end of the 10th day, we were already asked to pay. I was asked to pay even it was 10PM! The lady owner was insisting that we pay right there and then (we are paying via credit card). We were arguing with the receptionist because they were insisting that we pay in cash. Too bad! We were planning to stay for 6 months but unforunately, they lost 2 customers. My friend and I decided to look for another hotel. We paid the remaining 1day in cash. And here goes the REAL nightmare-- nobody helped us with our luggage. We have to bring it to the ground floor and that lady owner was just looking at us. I chanced upon the owner's son at the receptionist's area and told him about our bags. After going to the room to get my other stuff, the son was nowhere to be found from where he was seated. It really sucks! The hotel that we thought would give us good service turned out to be our worse nightmare in Vietnam!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angel_eyes01

Families
Business
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2008

I arrived at the Return Hotel having booked a room based on the good reviews it had received.

The room was good, things seemed ok.

Then in the morning I handed a staff member my laundry . I
was told that night that is would be back the next morning. I
kept asking for it and being fobbed off, which was most
annoying,as I needed it. I even offered to go and get it myself,
but they wouldn't tell me which laundrette it was in. I came in
later that afternoon and asked again. The afternoon manager
snapped "Please go to your room sir". I gently pointed out that he
should never say that to a guest.

It finally came back after 36 hours. There was no apology. Both
the morning manager and the afternoon manager were rude
or offhand in their manner.

I checked out early due to this experience after securing a room at the Bamboo Hotel, where 3 staff members recognised me
from 2 years ago and I had a good stay. It was very pleasant and a welcome change.

The only helpful staff member at the Return was a young man named Anh, who took me to his tour guide class at the Lang
Temple, which was interesting. He gave me a ride there and
didn't want any money.

To add insult to injury they charged me $5 for rhe modest amount of laundry a laundrette would have charged me
approx. $1-20 to $1-50.

Perhaps the 2 managers (both young men) are new staff, as there are no other reviews about their attitude.

I'm afraid I will not be returning to the Return Hotel

• Liked — The comfortable room.
  • Disliked — The unprofessional attitude of the 2 managers
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank len5500

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Tübingen
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed in this small hotel ( about 7 rooms) 2 nights before and 2 nights after a Halongbaytrip. We booked with tobook.com, Standard Twin:17USD incl. breakfast. Airportlimosine extra.
Old Quarter, Bat Dan 19. returnhotel@gmail.com

The room was newly renovated, not very big, but clean and not very noisy during the nights. Ac , TV and cooler in the room, bathtube with 24h-warm shower.

Softdrinks and beer is in the cooler, we payed the same price as outside, not more!
Every day new towels.
Internet without charge.
Safe at the reception.
Breakfast ( eggs, cheese, fresh bread, marmalade and tea or coffee) is served in the room.
They offer trips, as Halong and parfumpagoda. The company the hotel works with, is not expensive (AC Qeentravel) and worked very good! Returnhotels keeps your backpacks.
The Return Hotel doesen't make pressure to book a tour!

We fealt "at home", the owner-family is very friendly and honest.

Hope to come again!

Monika and Otto

• Stayed August 2008
manila
Reviewed 27 May 2008

My friends and I stayed in Return Hotel (No. 19 Bat Dan Street, Hanoi) from May 22 to 25, 2008, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel exceeded our expectations given the price. The room was spotlessly clean, the bathroom and shower was spacious. The fridge was well-stocked and we even had cable TV. Hot water was available and the A/C was in excellent working order. In the reception area, DSL Internet was free for the guests--how awesome is that? The no-nonsense service was prompt and efficient. Since Return Hotel is in the Old Quarter, it is within walking distance of the fantastic art galleries and art cafes in the vibrant Hoan Kiem Lake district.

• Liked — Clean rooms and hallway.
  • Disliked — Some difficulty with English by the staff.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Meise, Belgium
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We booked 4 nights in this hotel at 19USD/night. Checkin went good, rooms are quiet small but clean. There is sattelite TV and airco in the room. Litlle fridge and bathroom with open shower (as everywhere in Vietnam). Free internetacces in lobby. As the hotel is in the old french quarter there is many traffic and in Vietnam everybody is always using their horn which can be irritating at 7AM. But overall this is good budget hotel at a great location. We visited everything on foot. Ho Chi Minh centre about 15 minutes walk. We used the hotel's travel agency and booked trips to Halong and Sapa, everything was well organized! Airport is about 40 minutes away.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2007

We stayed at the RETURN HOTEL in mid November 2007.

The hotel only opened only 3 weeks before we arrived, so the hotel is in fantastic shape. The rooms are sensational, very large for the price, and the bathroom was nice and clean.

We booked the hotel directly with the front desk, as we were coming back from Sapa/Halong Bay and needed one more night in Hanoi. We paid $18 US for both of us.

We had the top floor room, and it was sensational. So quiet! We stayed at one of the rooms at the back, so perhaps you could request this when booking.

The breakfast was sensational as well....nothing over the top, but coffee and eggs, thats all you need to start the day!

Free net access as well, and very quick too.

In conclusion, my wife and I enjoyed our stay very much at the Return Hotel, and would most certainly stay there again.

BTW, the photos of the return hotel on the net don't match up to what it actually looks like, perhaps they are photos from the old hotel, who knows. All i know is that the hotel is A LOT more modern than any pics I've seen. As mentioned, it only opened up 3 weeks ago, so maybe they havent updated them yet.

• Liked — Location, clean, brand new rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was all good!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple