“Hotel good - Manager outstanding”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Ocean Stars 2 Hotel
Ranked #341 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney
“Hotel good - Manager outstanding”
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Having just returned after 6 weeks all over Vietnam I feel compelled to write a review regarding Ocean Stars II
Firstly the hotel was clean, comfortable and good value for the money compared to other hotels in Hanoi and ideally located in the old quarter. The breakfasts were generous in comparison to most other hotels of this standard.
We stayed at the hotel on three separate occasions between tours to Halong Bay, Ba Be National Park and Sapa.
Two of these tours to Halong Bay and Sapa we booked through Jimmy the manager, both of them delivered exactly what he said they would and we were extremely happy with the outcomes having listened to many other travellers stories regarding pricing and extravagant claims.
Jimmy the manager and his staff are absolutely fantastic. We booked the hotel in Hue. When we arrived in Hanoi someone was waiting for us at the railway station to organise our taxi to the hotel at the right price. On our return from Sapa at 4.30am once again there was someone to meet us.Whenever we wanted a taxi someone would always escort us to the taxi and make sure we were not overcharged. Finally Jimmy accompanied us in the taxi to the railway station on the evening we left Hanoi.
Our time in Hanoi was a wonderful experience made all the easier by the efforts of Jimmy and his staff.

• Liked — Manager and convenience of location
  • Disliked — Be prepared to climb stairs there are 6 floors and no lift.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple

Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 April 2008

I was happy until I woke up the next morning and discovered that I had been bitten by bed bugs. I could see the bugs on the sheets. I was horrified by the whole experience, and checked out immediately. When I told the manager about the problem, he acted like he had never heard of bed bugs before. He asked me to google it for him. I'm serious. He didn't offer a refund, and I regret not demanding one, but I really just wanted to leave as quickly as possible. I'm sure it would be a nice place to stay if they clear up the bed bug problem! (though I did witness the manager in a shouting fight with a customer, not pleasant at all.)

• Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank pinkcosmos08
Manager_Jimmy, Manager of Ocean Stars 2 Hotel ,Jimmy at Ocean Stars 2 Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2008
We are very shocked at this negative review ,
We remember this customer stayed in our hotel in December of 2007 and and she started to write her review in April of 2008 ,we felt very surprised at what she wrote .
On that day ,she did complaint about the bedbugs and i decided to go to her room just wanted to see with my own eyes and i found nothing ,finallly we offered her our refund but she did not agree and threatened that she would write very bad reviews on the website,though we apologized and asked for her forgiveness
When she left ,i asked my staff to look for bedbugs again but we found nothing .
We were very surprised ,we thought that perhap this customer were allergic to the vietnamese food and she felt like being bitten by bedbugs.
Anyway,we leant a lesson from that problem
Now our hotel are improved alot ,we promise that we will try our best to bring our customers satisfaction
We hope anyone when they choose our hotel they will understand that the bad review were in the past .And beside one bad review are many good reviews .
Sofia
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We stayed in this hotel for only 2 nights, but we were very pleased from what we've got. The location is perfect, our room was very clean and isolated from the noise outside, the breakfast was ok. Tthey helped us orginise our trip to Halong bay( was fine, no complaints), booked for us tickets for the sleeping bus and gave us advices on every matter that we needed. I've read some of the other reviews and I'm wandering if it's the same hotel. I can't imagine what people expect to get for their 12-18 $, but for us everything was ok.
Without any doubt the best about this hotel is Jimmy, the manager of that place, who was really everywhere and extremely helpful. We felt sorry for staying so short.

• Liked — the helpful manager and staff
  • Disliked — no elevator (not that I really care)
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I feel very lucky to have selected Ocean Stars Two Hotel as my accommodation in Hanoi. My room was cleaned daily and the hotel's staff were very warm and helpful. I paid USD18 per night for a queen-sized bedroom and it was well worth the money.

Firstly, Jimmy, the very pleasant hotel manager, speaks impressively in multiple languages, and had been very helpful with our Ha Long bay tour and a whole lot more. For eg, I carelessly left my white toiletry bag on the bus that escorted me to Halong Bay. When I came back from the trip and informed Jimmy about it, he immediately helped me to check with the tour operator and delivered my lost-and-found bag in seconds.

Complimentary breakfast was also unbelievably good and generous. My partner and I were impressed that we got to pick from a reasonably varied meals such as french bread with fried eggs/omelette, chicken noodles (which I liked) and bananas.

Generally, things were great except for some minor turn-offs such as hot shower running out after a while and our showerhead was not working well.

A big thank you to everyone at Ocean Stars Two! Keep up the good work! I left Hanoi with a strong sense of respect for Vietnamese. I've met a lot of wonderful people during my stay at Hanoi and am glad that our path has crossed. (^-^)

• Liked — The hotel manager and staff at the hotel, breakfast
  • Disliked — Showerhead not working, hot water runs off after a while
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lsm125
London
Reviewed 18 February 2008

The hotel is situated right in the old Quarter and well located for walking or taxis just about everywhere

The manager, Jimmy is very helpful ( and no I am definitely not Jimmy writing this) and so are his staff. My airport pick-up was waiting for me as requested

The rooms are clean and comfortable with fridges and cable TV ( although they could look at servicing the rooms more regularly)

The breakfast is not bad at all and, for the price ( I booked on the net) it is one of the best hotels of my trip in Asia.

I would definitely stay there again on a return visit

• Liked — Friendliness of staff and price
  • Disliked — climbing up the stairs to the 6th floor
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SimonMaj
SYDNEY
Reviewed 4 January 2008

We had a great stay at the hotel. The staff were very accamodating to our needs. Hot showers, good location with a short walk to the main areas. The free breakfast was excellent, the laundry service was great, and the price was very reasonable. Clean rooms, free internet, I recommend staying here.

Mitch- Australia

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank SydneyKangaroo
Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Pluses:
+ Hotel located in a small, quiet avenue, hence we were spared from the honking on the roads.
+ Hotel staff were helpful and responsive to our requests.
+ For the price of the room, selection of beverage & breakfast was good, also fresh and hygenic.
+ Location is very convenient.
+ 2nd room we stayed in had a cleaner and odorless bathroom/toilet.

Minuses:
- 1st room we stayed in had a bathroom with a stench coming from the drainage. Had to cover with the rubbish bin and spray with air freshener. Had to request for a proper duvet for the 3rd bed as a dirty, smelly bed cover was provided.
- As the bathroom was a combined shower/toilet without a shower curtain or some kind of separation, the whole bathroom was wet after a shower. Can be improved with a separation/shower curtain and provide bathroom slippers.
- We requested for a triple room but the room was actually a double room with an additional bed. Hence room was crowded. The additional bed was a mattress put on a foldable smaller support which was not too stable. Would not be able to support a taller/heavier person.
- 2D/1N Halong Bay Tour offered by hotel seems to be 2-3USD more expensive as we compared prices with fellow travellers who booked their tour from other agencies (APT tours?).
- Would not recommend 2D/1N Halong Bay tour unless staying overnight on the boat (1-day return trip is good enuf to see the bay). Reached Cat Ba island only at 6pm and saw little of the island. 2nd day is basically wasted spent travelling the whole day. On the return trip to Hanoi, we were transferred to another bus after lunch and had to wait for the passengers on that bus to have their lunch. Meals were sparse - portion is not enough for most people. Drinks not included in the price. Forget about the seafood meals mentioned on the itinerary! You'll be lucky to get 1 fish dish.

Stayed December 2007