“Great Hotel - a little out of the action”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #65 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great Hotel - a little out of the action”
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We spent two nights here during a very cold snap and found the main guest areas of the hotel very cold. Having said that everything else about the hotel was superb - We checked in very early on the first morning and were graciously accommodated without any problems. We made extensive use of the business center which was very efficient. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are amazing. Breakfast was world class. All in all we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
G_Manager-ICH, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this review, 6 May 2016

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here over New Years Eve and had booked a Lotus suite. The noise from the surrounding buildings on the side of the lake was unbearable so complained and got moved to a room on one of the islands over the water which was much better. Having use of the club room is worth the extra money as the service in the rest of the hotel is a bit ropey so its nice to have a little haven. It is a little far from the town but a taxi ride is only 30,000 dong and there are always taxis waiting in the hotel grounds so this isn't a problem. The restaurants in the hotel are ok and the room service is pretty good.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends

Westminster, California
Reviewed 18 January 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here for 1 night during our stay in Hanoi. As we arrive, the bellperson was very friendly and immediately approach us as we got off the taxi. Check in was pretty fast and efficent. When we got to the room, that same bellperson came shortly with our luggages, the wing we stayed had no elavator and was on 2nd floor. As He brought our luggages to the room, He breathed heavily and complained: "mWhy do you have so many stuff and why are they so heavy? "
I was shocked and surprised, It wasn't my fault that the hotel did not have the elavator. I tipped him 50,000 dong (2.50 us), and he still seems not happy.
next morning I set off for Halong bay and checked out, I need to be at Hanoi Egelgance Dimamond at 8:00am, unfortunately, I left the address in the suitcase and reluctant to get it (since my luggages were already in the car), the taxi driver wasn't sure which street the meeting place was on since there are a few Hanoi Elegance hotels, I came to the receptionist asking for help. It took them at least 20 minutes to get me the address from the internet. Every time I need to look them up, Whether in VN or US, it only took me 1 click to find it.
However there was one good impression that I applauded, I called operator at 5am asking for a carton box, only 5 minutes later, she sent someone with 2 boxes of the size I requested along with a pair of scissors and tapes ( It was raining that morning too) She was really something, I remember her name was Thanh

washington dc
Reviewed 17 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Intercon for three nights in December 2010/January 2011. We had a wonderful stay. The Westlake is exactly what you would expect from an Intercontinental hotel - beautiful rooms, professional and very courteous staff and an excellent breakfast buffet.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Having read guide book reviews I was expecting a lot from this hotel but for some reason was a little disappointed. We were in one of the island pavilions. The rooms were great and as we found in other Vietnamese hotels the service was excellent. It is out of town but taxis are cheap. The sunset bar looks fabulous. Whether it was the fog, I’m not sure, but the design of the hotel was a little severe. My other concern was the large number of mosquitoes in the wardrobe. Staff very quickly came and gave them a good spray and on request did so on the second night but I was surprised that a hotel built over a lake didn’t do this as standard. On a positive note it had excellent food and the toiletries were very good.

Singapore
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I actually filled the feedback from and placed it at the counter when I checked out but the service staff did not take the feedback form. So, here it is...

The hotel has a very nice ambiance and we have an excellent room with a good view (room 823), big bathroom and extremely comfortable bed and pillows (there is absolutely no need to request for any other pillows from the free pillow menu). We had 2 wonderful nights of sleep.

For a hotel with free pillow menu, 2 wash basins, a shower and a bathtub, you need to specially ask for toothbrush and toothpaste. The white robe and towels are off white (when I returned home, I realized that someone wrote about this too!!) and 1 of the complimentary mineral bottles was unsealed.

The hotel provided a beautiful map. Alas, do use it discreetly. Bobby Chihn's restaurant's address was printed as 77 Xuan Dieu St on one side of the map under the section "Where to eat and drink". On the opposite side is the map of Hanoi and the same restaurant is given a different directory - Ba Trieu. We only realized this after we took a cab to Ba Trieu and was told by his ex-neighbours that the new address is Xuan Dieu, which is some 20 min drive away. As it was getting late, we had to give the renowned restaurant a miss. The next point is just an update: the Pho 24 along Phan Dinh Phung has closed (I understand that the hotel can't be responsible for this, o it was no problem. We has a good cab driver who drove us to the next Pho 24).

On our first night, we had dinner at Saigon restaurant and the service staff ,Mr Linh, was industrious, attentive and proactive. When the dishes did not arrive after some time, he made it a point to inform us, chatted with us and made us feel comfortable. It was certainly a good distraction strategy! It was great service. After dinner, at around 9pm, we asked the concierge if there was a convenient store nearby. He told us there is one about 10 min's walk away. When we arrived at L's Place, it was shut. The service staff in the bakery store a few doors away told us that L's place is not likely to be opened by 9pm. Anyway, about L's Place. It sell's non-local food, drinks and ingredient. There is also sine shop and a couple of nice looking restaurants.

The location of the hotel: The taxi ride from old quarter cost between 80-110VDG. It was not a very long ride, so the location is not an issue. The taxi ride to the airport cost 322VDG (it cost 240VDG from the airport to Moevenpink Hotel when we arrived).

Well, this could have been an excellent hotel. It was recommended by 2 friends who stayed there 1 year ago. Looks like the standard has changed. This is also evident in some of the reviews (which I didn't read cos as it was highly recommended by my friends). Read my review on Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi.

Houston
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The hotel is harmoniously build onto West Lake, Hanoi which gives me the impression that it's floating on water. However, only rooms with "lake view" will actually do that but they're overpriced! Other rooms are arranged in a way that their views are actually looking to those tasteless houses built along the shore so it's rather ugly! Room decoration is esthetically incorporated traditional Vietnamese art with contemporary design and furniture. The breakfast is quite sumptuous comparing with other same class of hotels in Hanoi. Staff at reception is courteous and helpful. The concierge staffs are exceptional in offering their true professional services to me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple