“Good hotel with a good location”

Alagon Central Hotel & Spa
Ranked #101 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for several nights while exploring Ho Chi Minh. It is well located. You are able to walk around to many restaurants and several attractions. You can also take the cab for a few euro's. They hotel is a bit over the top: white and gold look, very shiny. Not really to my taste. But the staff is very kind and helpful. English is so so especially from the waiters. Rooms are clean, the hotel has everything you need. Breakfast was good different choices. Can be crowded at some times. Dinner on the other hand is not very good. Basic food. Not so many choices and the plates are small. But based on the location and the fact we didn't spend that much time at the hotel, I rate this hotel very good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Bad experience at Hoang Hai long, I don't trust the good reviews of this Hotel (as also Trip Advisor is notifying) because there are not good things to say about this hotel, just only the fact that is quite cheap but not cheap enough to have rooms as we found it.

Our room was dirty with hairs in the bathroom and on the floor, the bedlinen were very very overused (we slept in our sleeping bag). The room was with no window!!! (Actually there was a window but looking to a wall at a half-meter of distance!!!) So in the room there was only artificial and insufficient light.

The last point,( i think a very unfair way to do business in tourism), is about a information request that we did at the receptionist, we asked him if there were buses to transfer from Ho Chi Min to Can Tho and he said absolutely not (NO BUSES FROM HCMC TO CAN THO-his words) but he tried to sell us a car transfer to Can Tho. We already found on internet that were many many bus companies doing HCMC-Can Tho, so we decided by ourselves which one to choose.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel was located right near Cho Ben Thanh Market. It was easily accessible and within walking distance of so many things! The room was a nice size and we had a great view of the front of the hotel. It was also super comfortable! Unfortunately there is no pool or gym at the hotel, but for a fee, you can use the facilities at one of the hotels nearby. There was also quite a bit of noise coming in from the street well after 1:00am as there are many bars nearby and the hotel is near a roundabout. I actually checked in early and they upgraded me to the executive suite, so that was very kind of them! The concierge and the front desk staff were also very king and helpful with their advice/suggestions. They warned us repeatedly to protect our belongings every time we left the hotel and we appreciated that. Overall we had a fantastic stay at this hotel!

One strange thing that happened (I don't know all of the details) but I accidentally left my iPhone in the room at check-out and I didn't realize. When we went to the front desk to leave, they had housekeeping check our room which took about 5-10 minutes. After we got in our cab I realized my phone was missing. I went back to the hotel and they took me back to the room to find my phone. When we got to the room, it wasn't there! I figured maybe I left it in my checked bag so I got back in the cab and went to the bus terminal. I dumped all of my stuff and continued to search for my phone. My friend decided to try the Find my iPhone app. After signing in, it showed that the phone was definitely at the hotel. I sent the emergency/lost/ping sound to the phone repeatedly and then activated lost mode with a number to call if found. When I called the hotel and told them that my GPS shows my phone is inside of his hotel, the man at the front desk said that my phone had been found by housekeeping, yet housekeeping never said anything at checkout. Seems very strange to me.... But like I said, I don't know all of the details about how things went down between the time I lost the phone and got it back, but I'm glad I got it back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel are quite noisy, maybe ask for a side facing room or one facing...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night last year & I had a good impression of it. My partner and I had been travelling Vietnam for 12 days just this month and we decided to spend our final two nights in Saigon in this hotel. However, we were disappointed - the reception staff in general were cold to lukewarm at best, I wouldn't say warm/welcoming. In all our accomodations over the last ten days, reception staff were friendlier, they would greet/smile whenever we walked past; occasionally ask about our plans & offered to assist if required, etc. But we did not experience this here - I'm not nitpicking on this portion solely but I'm just saying the level of warmth we received was just starkly different. Perhaps they are busy.

Another issue was that on our last morning at about 0830hrs, we were still in bed when suddenly, our room door opened without any knocks on the door. It simply opened for 4-5s. We did not register who it was, but we figured it was the cleaner who wanted to clean the room. We felt that this was downright unacceptable - it was the first time this has happened in all our travelling experiences - he/she should at least have knocked to check if anyone was inside instead of simply barging in. I am a very light sleeper, if he/she had knocked (they did, on the morning after our first night), I would have gotten it.

Overall, the rooms were clean, wifi signal was strong and bell boys were friendly and helpful. Reasonable prices. Great location as it is a short walk from Ben Thanh Market & also the backpackers' area (De Tham St.). Reliable taxi services right outside the hotel. But we will not be back - when there are so many other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pearlyn N
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We used the laundry service...excellent!!! Spa...excellent!!! Daily breakfast spread was amazing with freshly made omelets every day with mix of Western and Eastern foods!!! All the staff was courteous, friendly and extremely helpful! The location was central and convenient to get to all the places we wanted to go. It also offered free wifi which helped when we came back at the end of our days! Would definitely refer friends to this hotel!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked this hotel via a budget hotel website. do not let other reviews fool you. this is NOT a 5 star hotel. it is a cheap hotel, not bad, but not great. it truly is a solid 3 stars. it does have a good location to the Ben Thanh market which is fantastic right next door.
my friend and i stayed here while backpacking through the area. slept here a couple nights.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Curtez151
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

A 3-star hotel located conveniently in District 1. Just a 5-min walk to the famous Ben Thanh market. 3-min walk to the Hindu Mariamman Temple, another attraction. Plenty of eating places nearby. Saigon skydeck is also nearby. We were upgraded to executive room for free from deluxe room. However, we were unable to check in early even though we reached there at 11am, had to wait till 1pm to check in. The executive room was big enough for 2 but it was located on the 3rd floor which was quite noisy as it faces the main road. The room was clean and spacious. There was wifi everywhere-lobby, restaurant and room. Breakfast was however not good. Not many varieties. They only had dishes with pork-we do not consume pork. We only had plain porridge with scramble egg which was also tasteless. Their gym was closed for maintenace so we had to cross over to the 5-star New Saigon Hotel for gym and swimming pool(have to purchase USD 10 for the pool). Tour desk manager was helpful and knowledgeable. We booked a 1-day Mekong Tour with the hotel which cost USD 16/pax. Not too bad. Tour guide was very informative. Lunch provided during the tour was not good. Pork was served and only egg was replaced for us. Vinasun taxis(trusted) are readily available outside hotel. The bellboy would hail one for you. They allowed late check-out at the same price for deluxe room, 1/2 of the daily room rate. We also booked the hotel's car for return airport transfer which cost USD 15/way. But the driver could not speak english well enough. Overall, we had a pleasant stay for 4 nights.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple