“enjoyable meal”

Ranked #202 of 3,447 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 21 January 2013

one of the locals took me here. great atmosphere, excellent rolls, great Ban Xeo and fresh greens. I had a dish of softshell crabbs and beef hotpot. All the dished were well made and we all enjoyed our meals.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Be aware that this is a local place and not a place to go for fine dining.

However great Banh Xeo (Vietnamese pancakes) and prices are very very fair.

You should definitely try to go here. I do only rate them 3 starts since the interior and service level is a little poor....

Reviewed 29 December 2012

The banh xeo is a bit greasy. Good, but not the best Ive ever had Spring rolls were quite nice and the banh hoi with grilled pork is good too.

1  Thank jason b
Reviewed 11 December 2012

a group of eateries tucked inside the winding streets of Ho chi minh. good place to eat real authentic Vietnamese food. prices reasonable and not as crowed as those in District 1

1  Thank SandySanti
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

First thing I should mention: I'm Vietnamese, so my review on Vietnamese food tend to be very critical. I can't help it - I grew up with the best mum who makes the best Vietnamese everything (except sweets).

Second thing I should mention: I'm a keen foodie. I will go out of my way to hunt down places that have received good reviews... So my partner and I hunted down 46A on good recommendation from Anthony Bourdain. Who else? :)

Great experience for those who want a local feel to their eating experience. But mind you, everything about how the Vnmese do things are 'local' in their ways unless you go to an upmarket restaurant or cafe. In terms of the food - it's pretty ordinary. Not the best banh xeo I've tasted. I've also tried banh xeo an la nghien (near ben thanh market), ban xeo muoi xiem (on nam ky Khoi nghia) - all are ordinary.

In the world of banh xeo, the batter is 60% of the experience while nuoc cham is 40%. The filling is a 3rd rate support act. While the banh xeo were all crispy when fresh, they lacked the fragrance and complex taste of good banh xeo batter/skin. And most of them seem to be too heavy in the coconut scent. Personally, I like a crispy but more doughy skin. I've yet to find good nuoc cham in VN. It must be the ingredients because nuoc Cham is essentially equal proportions of water, sugar, vinegar, abit of lemon or lime and abit of chilly.

Having said all that, I like 46A best. Despite being outdoors, it is the cleanest setup, and possibly the tastiest of the 3.

If you want a banh xeo experience, I would recommend 46A over the other options. Perhaps if Ba/Mrs muoi xiem cooked the banh xeo herself (for me) my review would be different, but as it stands, give this franchise a miss.

If you want the best banh xeo, it's at my house.... In Australia :). Sorry.

My good eating experience in Saigon can be counted on one hand.
1. Thao Dien Village resort - Quan ngon and their Italian restaurant. It was goooooood.
2. Quan hai lua at the ben thanh night market - their seafood was awesome!
3. Coop Mart - their food meals are cheap and tasty.
4. Banh mi stand @ hem 27 - sorry I forgot address but if you want to know, pls message me. The banh mi was just awesome! Crunchy and hot bread rolls, tasty grilled meat patties straight off the charcoal :)

2  Thank mellies_world01