“Burgers = nothing special”
Review of Jake's BBQ

Jake's BBQ
Ranked #42 of 3,443 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Classic American comfort food! A cozy atmosphere with a very friendly and well trained staff. Seating available at the bar, main floor and second floor. If your craving a taste of great Americana this is the place to be!!
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Lonely Planet and a local expat magazine recommended Mogambos for burgers. So I checked it out. I do not understand the hype. The patty was flat; as if it was just a frozen patty from the grocery store back in the states that you buy when having a frat party cookout. It tasted average; nothing special at all. The prices are quite high as compared to other excellent food I had in HCMC. They add a 5% service charge which is totally okay, except it's not really 5%. My bill was 165,000 dong, and service was 10,000 dong... but 5% should have been 8250. Not that the 1750 is a huge difference in my budget... just don't say 5% on the menu if you do not mean it.

I also found the owners to be a little bit annoying, particularly the woman. She talked as if she knew so much, but I don't think she really did. She claimed unemployment in the US is 12%.. well it's 9%. Not that it matters, just don't act so authoritative...

5  Thank Marthy421

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Excellent burger, patty in the bun, and on the side: lettuce, tomato, dill pickle, onion, so you can make your own. My friend had a very tasty shepherd's pie.

Best apple pie I've had in Vietnam.

Nice touch: I ordered the house red, and they asked if I wanted it cold or warm. Like most places in Vietnam, they refrigerate their house red (they almost have to, in this heat). But here, if you ask for it warm, they pour it back and forth between two large glasses to bring it up to room temperature. Very nice.

The only complaint was my standard one: frozen french fries. I don't understand why, in Vietnam, where the average kitchen worker gets about $100 per month, so few restaurants make their own french fries from fresh potatoes. I know the bags of frozen ones from Metro make for cheaper, but how much cheaper? California's favorite burger chain, In-N-Out Burgers, makes your fries from scratch, right in front of you, and they probably have to pay their staff about ten times as much.

1  Thank BillTuckerUS
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Not sure what the big deal is about their burgers. They are good, but there are equals and much better in Saigon now. Had a craving for a cheeseburger so decided to head for Mogambo's to refresh my memory as to why I don't go there. Mission accomplished. The place is flat out tired. Maybe it's because it was Thursday at dinner time and virtually nobody was in there. Orderd a Tiger draft and a cheeseburger with onion rings. Got a Tiger draft and a cheeseburger with sad shoestring french fries. Not a big deal, I'll do the fries. Burger, again, was good but not knock your socks off good. At 165,000 dong for the burger plus the mandatory 5% service charge, that's a bit steep I believe as it weighs in at 150 grams (5 ounces for the metrically challenged).

3  Thank mainereale
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My American colleagues prefer to go to this place when they want to enjoy American food.

The decor is interesting and probably African, especially in the second floor.

For me, I am always seeking to eat some veggies, and end up eating their Mexican food, which is not too bad and OK to eat. They are basically very roughly made, but should be around average in the US as well (dunno in Mexico).

One problem is that the speed of serving food is very very slow here. If you are not tolerant in wating, may need to refrain from going.

1  Thank HCMEater
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Good food. African decor.

Vegetarians beware. Ordered the spagetti pomodoro. Came out with some sort of meat (verified by carnivorous companion). Back and forth with staff finally resulted in them taking it back and redoing it. Meatless and tasty the second time.

Companion had a burger and is highly recommended. Onion rings good too.