“Very clean budget hotel”
Review of Evergreen Hotel

Evergreen Hotel
Ranked #206 of 467 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Evergeen hotel is located a short cab ride from the CBD in Saigon and the tourist areas. There is a market just two blocks away that caters to locals, and there are plenty of good restaurants located a short walk or taxi ride away (use "VinaSun" taxis, they are reputable!)
There is a beautiful, abeit VERY pink Catholic Church a block away that has an outdoor sculpture garden featuring the stations of the cross.
Rooms are good size, with firm beds and a refrigerator in the room. A/C works well. Rooms are kept spotless by the maids. Laundry is done daily.

All in all, and excellent budget hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Large bed, decent bathroom, and a window without a view. The decor I found tasteless, and quite old. The hotel is a bit far from the center, a 20 minute walk.
Although there wasn't anything particularly wrong with this hotel, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

+ Very good location, easy to find. Big and clean room. English speaking reception. Gave us a room in 15 minutes at 9am
- breakfast 6-9am, to early for us)
Perforators and drill worked from 8am in nearest room and upper floor. Impossible to sleep

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I came back to Vietnam to visit friends and distant relatives. It was a long time since the last trip that I was there (13 years ago), so I just wanted some place that is closed to everything but I don't want the hustle and noises from the city. The hotel is closed to everything that I need, and there is a park right across the street where you can have a walk in the morning. The famous Banh Xeo` restaurant is a short walk away at Dinh-Cong-Trang street, and Tan-Dinh market is couple of blocks away. I walked almost every day with my friends to the Central of Saigon, and it takes about half an hour but I enjoy the view of other landmarks on the way so I kind of enjoyed the walk. We took to taxi cab back, and it cost about 3 US dollars.

The hotel staff is very accommodating, and the owner is exceptionally pleasant. It is a family run hotel, but its standard is almost American-like, with cloth napkin in the restaurant (there are so much outside restaurants do not provide napkins or you'll have to buy it), fruits with great breakfast (included in the price of the room). There is a lanai on the top floor (by the restaurant) so you can have a smoke enjoying the view of the park and the city. It is not an extravagant hotel but the room has everything that I need. I will definitely stay at the Evergreen hotel (Lien-Phuong is the Vietnamese name) again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of Hai-Ba-Trung street view, I like it better.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khai T
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've been here two days, this time in near perfect weather, and everything is about as perfect and pleasant as one could ask. We aren't in tourist or backpacker country here so it's really, really nice. There's a market down the street, and if you're willing to walk about 2 km you can get to the Dong Khoi shopping district. But Evergreen is to me a piece of heaven. To wit: on the fourth floor I have floor to ceiling windows, but we are far from the street. The a/c and good construction block out the street noise. Good sleep ahead on this monstrosity of a big nice bed. A real separate shower and enormous bathtub. For someone who's been dodging ice cubes for weeks up north a really hot, lasting shower is such a gift. A nifty little fridge for those yogurts and tropical fruits you can get down the street. Excellent lighting, not the one tiny 20 watt bulb per dorm I've been used to, funny but not good for finding gear for an adventure. The staff is adept with excellent directions. There's good food one floor up, an elevator for those who need it but a nice staircase for those of us who like to hike up and down. I sent my laundry in yesterday and it just got delivered, in plastic and on hangers, as though it had been to my neighborhood cleaners. Even my socks and bandanna were in their own plastic packaging. I got the park view, which is just lovely, and the staff have been so polite and kind, and eager to please. Can change money reasonably, as I am leaving shortly and need just a little for a Delta trip.

Other small but details worth noting: there is a 220 outlet on the wall, which means you don't need that extra VN plug if you're short one. That is just so handy. A big desk to spread out your stuff and write, and for this writer, that is priceless. A/C that isn't freezing and also not inadequate. Really. Hot. Water.

The breakfast on the fifth floor comes with, and you get lots of choices. I had my biggest and best cuppa joe since arriving here, and a big fat Western omelet, as well as extra fruit.

They set me up for a ride from the airport in advance, and when I had to arrive a day early they accommodated me at the last minute which I really appreciated.

I love that here on the fourth floor I don't have to struggle to get wi-fi. As you know, it's sometimes hard once you leave the lobby, and tough past floor three, but here, almost all the bars are good on the fourth floor. That matters.

This little place rocks from its marble staircase to the first floor to its bamboo beds. If I come back to Saigon this will be my choice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Fourth floor, park view are the better choices. Close to the restaurant and quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Julia H
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed here for one month, while doing my CELTA at Apollo International House. I looked at some for the cheaper places, but as I was going to be spending a lot of time in my room studying I knew I wanted something I would like to come home to. My room was big with a large window – not park view), it was clean and I got hot water for tea every night, the breakfast was good and the meals cheap. Great walk into the main center, and lots of places to eat and near material and garment making area.
the staff were very friendly and always helpful. Defiantly recommend for study or business trips.

Room Tip: ask for anything you need, the staff are helpful.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank nickybees
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have been staying at the Evergreen for years most recently in October 2013. It is a family run place, well location on Hai Ba Trung street but away from the main tourist area so free of hassles. The rooms are decked out in bamboo furniture and showing their age a little, but are well maintained and kept very clean.

Positives:

- good sized well equipped rooms, with large comfy beds
- very safe
- opposite a park
- professional, friendly staff

Negatives:

- breakfast is rather limited (no buffet)
- located on one of the busiest roads in Hanoi so traffic and traffic noise can be problem
- no safe boxes in rooms

All in all though it is a good value choice and is recommended, although light sleepers should bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisy but have good views over the park. If you can forfeit the view take a r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo