“6 week stay--Highly Recommended”
Review of Nguyen Khang Hotel

Nguyen Khang Hotel
Ranked #137 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Richmond, Virginia
“6 week stay--Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Nguyen Khang is a great value and quality 13-bedroom guesthouse in the heart of the most bustling district in Ho Chi Minh City. I am a college student and this summer I stayed at Nguyen Khang for 6 weeks while working an internship in HCMC. Throughout my stay, I had the opportunity to personally meet each of the staff at Nguyen Khang, and found each person to be extremely helpful and caring. I had a double room with two beds that included A/C, cable tv, wifi, private bathroom w/ shower, and breakfast each morning. Every day the staff would make the beds and tidy up the room as well as do any laundry or ironing that I had set out. The hotel is set in a quiet alley between two of the area's busiest streets. Nguyen Khang is one of many small hotels and guesthouses along the streets of the "backpacker district" but after spending so much time in the area, it became clear that Nguyen Khang was a step above the alternatives. It is a quiet hotel so you are able to get an early night sleep and not worry about disruptions, but you can also have late nights out experiencing HCMC's incredible nightlife, and be assured that there will be a receptionist there to let you in when you return. The staff would offer to cook me dinner about once a week, as they realized that I was alone in the city. They went out of their way to do everything possible to help me acclimate and feel at home in a place that was on the other side of the globe for me. Not only are the staff very kind and hospitable, but they are also highly knowledgeable. They speak a handful of languages, including good English, which was a relief to me when arriving back at the hotel after a long day of using sign language and gestures to communicate with locals. The staff gives great recommendations on activities to do within the city, as well as day trips or weekend getaways to explore other parts of the beautiful country. Plopped in the middle of one of Asia’s most underdeveloped and poverty-stricken major cities which is filled with deception and mild thievery, Nguyen Khang is a relieving place to rest your head knowing that all of the staff are honest and trustworthy and are there to make your stay in HCMC as enjoyable as possible. I would not have had near to the wonderful experience that I did throughout my 6 weeks, had I not had the assistance, care, and security that this hotel and its staff provided. I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a small, safe, and friendly bed and breakfast style accommodation in HCMC.

Room Tip: The hotel has 5 floors of rooms. There are no elevators in the hotel so if you want a slightly short...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank wkt15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ozamiz
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is the worst hotel ever! I emailed back and forth with Ms. Huong 2 weeks before my scheduled trip and she sent me confirmation of my booking but when we got to the hotel, they didn't have a room for us! They gave all 4 rooms we booked to someone else and they made some lame, abominable excuse about the airconditioner being broken, and promised us there would be rooms available on the second night. So second night we went back, and they only had three rooms and in the middle of our conversation they gave one of the three to someone else! Right in front of us!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The owner is sleazy. Don't ever book this hotel if you want to make sure you have a place to stay when you get there. Also, their airport pickup is waaaay more expensive than what other hotels charge.

I was sooo disappointed in this hotel, especially the owner. He didn't even look sorry. I had such high expectations because of the good reviews. This is hands down the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kristine G
UK
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I had several email dialogues with this hotel from the UK and asked them to pick me up from the airport. It was so nice to see the sign with my name on as I stepped out of the airport building into the chaos of many taxi drivers!! When I arrived at the hotel I was shown to a small, clean room with a decent bathroom situated just behind reception. I was a little hesitant as I thought it may have been noisy but there was no problem with noise during my stay. There were many restaurants within the area so hotel is very accessible. The room was fine, breakfast was ok (I had toast with omelette) but by far the best thing about the hotel was Dennis's help and support. He is a really nice man where nothing is too much trouble: he loaned me an adaptor for my iPhone (as mine wouldn't work in the plug which was situated behind my bed) and went on the Web with me to check flights! (There are two computers for residents in reception area). The owner is friendly and smiley but unfortunately does not speak a great deal of English: Dennis made up for it! As this was my first taste of Vietnam and I was a single female traveller, having the support from Dennis, helped me deal with the newness/craziness of Saigon (indigenous folk call it "Saigon" not HCM Dennis reliably informed me - hence why I am now calling it Saigon!!). This support made a great difference to me. Thank you Dennis!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Carol D
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Nguyen Khang Hotel. Conveniently located in an alleyway at the heart of the backpacker district of Pham Ngu Lao, it's a short walk away from restaurants, stores, tour companies, and bus lines. Still a good distance away from the bars filled with rowdy tourists, so it was quiet. We stayed in a triple room which was small but clean and comfortable. Soft beds and fresh linens, and the AC worked too well. It had a TV, a cabinet, and a refrigerator. The bathroom was small but hot shower worked fine. Breakfast was modest. For $30 a night (they also have a fair exchange rate), we got more than what we paid for.

What sets them apart is their outstanding service. Even before we got to Saigon, Dennis and Huong were very, very patient in answering every question I had regarding tours and transportation. They had booked us our Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta tours in advance. When we arrived at the hotel past 1AM, we obviously woke Dennis up but he didn't even show any hint of irritation. In fact, when we went out of the hotel to eat, he even advised us to be careful of snatchers. Both he and Huong were very warm and accommodating and also gave great recommendations on where to eat and drink. I'd highly recommend Nguyen Khang Hotel for budget travelers and families as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Arianne C
Auckland
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place is really cute and altho the rooms are small (we had a triple on the 4th floor) they are v clean and it was a great place to stay with our kids (10 and 1). It is in a quiet alleyway with lots of other budget places and close to a small market. Not the best location maybe but as taxis are really cheap we just got cabs anywhere further than Ben Thanh market. Staff were helpful with all questions. We had checked in again to stay here but as they had put us on the 4th floor again they suggested we stay in the Victory hotel a few doors along which they also own on a lower floor. We still used Nguyen Khang tho for laundry etc as the staff there are efficient and we got everything we wanted including laundry in less than 24hrs (despite evening rain!) and transfers to the airport both times. Breakfast is basic but good. Would recommend and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Lower floors are probably better if you don't fancy stairs but we had two kids with us and the 4...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Interpretergirl
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Magnificent place.
I can honestly say, with great certainty, that the Nguyen Khang Hotel was our favourite hotel out of all those at which we stayed during our trip around Vietnam.

The staff were all so friendly, and wonderfully helpful.
They really seemed like genuinely decent people, who truly cared about their customers. From what we saw, everybody else staying there was as fond of the staff as we were.
The rooms were clean, with good air-conditioning, television and bathroom facilities. Fresh towels, pillows and bedsheets.
Free and unlimited internet access on the computers in the lobby.
Delightfully affordable stay.
Good location too, with all of the shops and eateries around every corner.

The Nguyen Khang Hotel is our definite recommendation for all those hoping to stay near the Pham Ngu Lao area.

Hats off to this marvellous establishment!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Krys C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stay here! Excellent value for money and just a lovely place. We can't compare it to other nearby hotels since this is the only place we stayed in this area, but we can certainly vouch for this one. Rooms were clean, decent size, had excellent facilities. Staff, particularly the manager (Ms. Huong, if we remember correctly) was particularly considerate, helpful, attentive and efficient, but in fact all the staff were great. I was doing some work in the lobby on a few days and she couldn’t have been kinder, bringing me juice and coffee and so forth. Included breakfast is filling and tasty, if basic. We skipped it a couple of days to explore more of the local street food. Busy area but the hotel is in a quiet laneway thingy so we slept just fine.

Room Tip: If you get the room just next to reception (100) and are worried it'll be noisy or whatever, don...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple