“You might be tempted because of the vegetarian options, but don't do it” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banhmibistro - CLOSED

Banhmibistro
Price range: US$0 - US$3
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: The name Banhmibistro, a combination of the Vietnamese word “banhmi” (means bread) and the French word “bistro” (means small restaurant), reflects the French influence of this traditional Vietnamese sandwich. Banhmibistro's owner wants to introduce this popular sandwich with a triple, but simple, concept of high quality fresh food, cleanliness and friendly service.The bread and pastries are baked fresh everyday and gourmet sandwiches are made to order. All with the special fusion taste between East and West.
Sarasota, FL
“You might be tempted because of the vegetarian options, but don't do it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I found this cafe online for its vegetarian options and we made our way all the way out there just to try a veg banh mi... wow, what a letdown! I love fake meat and I opted for the BBQ pork option, but it was one of the blandest things I've ever had in my life. It tasted like a normal American frozen veggie burger; no sauce, no seasoning, just a few mild veggies. My husband had a sandwich which was totally lackluster, and an incredibly boring banana shake. Nothing was *bad* but nothing was particularly good, especially for the price.

The staff was nice but didn't make up for the meal. Not worth the trip, sorry!

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Bengaluru, India
“Delicious Banhmi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great restaurant And service. I ordered the banhmi BBQ pork and it was perfect. Couple that with a few heinekens and the meal was exactly what I needed. The manager came around to meet me and sat for a drink. The restaurant is a little outside of the center but not a terrible walk. Food is also very well priced. Meal was under $5

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Kaz0322
“A Safe Bet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

If you are new to Saigon, this place offers a safe transition from Western food to Vietnamese food. The banh mi sandwiches are tasty and come in Western and international flavors like BBQ pork and chicken teriyaki and they even offer bubble tea in several flavors. The location is not the greatest, as it is outside the very center a bit on a crowded one-way street which is difficult to get to from the adjacent park unless you go to the traffic light. But if you are in the area, or walking in the park, this is a good option for a meal.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Gary S
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Lovely introduction to banhmi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

During my first couple of days in Saigon, I found it difficult to find proper Vietnamese food that I was sure was vegetarian. There's so much food around you, lovely smells and plenty of vendors encouraging you to sample their goods. It can be a little overwhelming especially if you have no one to show you the ropes. Also, I'd hate to stroll up to a street vendor selling delicious banh mi and try to articulate my fussiness. I read great reviews for banh mi bistro, especially from a veggie pov, so I gave it a go. There is an extensive menu of sandwiches, bubble teas and pastries with English translation. It might not be the most authentic but it was delicious and a great way to familiarise viet-english translations.
And the staff were so accommodating! Big smiles as you enter and they really make a fuss of you. The proprietor really made us feel at home and we had a lovely chat with him. I think this cafe is a really good bet if you're travelling with someone who may be a little fussy, or who genuinely wants a good vegetarian option, without going down the western-food route.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank bombean
Hcmc
“Best Vegiburger in asia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

After being a regular customer at banhmibistro for years, always super happy with their food. I finally tried a vegiburger or, 'bo go chay' and was really impressed. I am mostly vegetarian and am from one of the Vegetarian capitals of the world, Byron Bay, Australia. I have eaten Vegiburgers all over the world and I really have to say, banhmibistro make one of the best.

(I do usually ask for some extra tomato and onion on my burger to add a little extra flavor, but even without it still rocks)

I have tried most of the food on the menu from tuna baguettes to spaghetti, to their baked goods, like chocolate croissants etc, and I have never been disappointed, the food is always fresh, the premises is always clean, the service is superb and the food is ready very quickly.

Everything is also very reasonably priced.

I am very glad to have found the place and am a very regular customer, nearly every day.

I totally recommend it.