“Sanouva hotel”

Sanouva Saigon Hotel
Ranked #46 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as the last part of our tour all I can say is the food (breakfast) was good the hotel was central but the room was very small including bed . As this was our final hotel as part of our golden wedding tour and the room was supposed to be DELUXE as per my itinerary I was dissapointed. The staff were ok and sorted out a city tour hiccup but I just felt cramped in such a small room overlooking a alley. Was this really DELUXE as there was no kettle to make a cup of tea and if we could have got one in the foyer no told us

Room Tip: Do not have 4th floor alley room and do not accept as deluxe as we did room 403
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank highflyer33

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Despite it's central, bustling location, my room at the Sanouva was quite and comfortable. Room has a TV with mostly Vietnamese channels (but watching TV is the last thing you'll be doing), A/C (necessary in Saigon!), safe and a bathroom with a separate shower enclosure.
Comes with 2 bottles of water which are complimentary on a daily basis as well.
The staff is professional and friendly. Breakfast is served downstairs and features an eclectic mix of food. In my case, I found myself walking outside and just getting myself a banh mi from the lady less than a block away.
The reason I'm not giving the Sanouva a 5-star rating came down to the experience on my last day there. Around 10 am I got a call from the reception asking me to come downstairs. I had had a late night and was still sleeping, but the matter seemed urgent and went right away. This man, who I hadn't seen before and who identified himself as "Steven" (he didn't have a name tag so I asked for his name) called me downstairs just to confirm that it was my checkout day. I was confused about the whole matter, so he went ahead and dismissed me in a rude manner. After that, I asked if I could do a late checkout (common in any hotel) and he just pointed at the clock on the wall and said "No, checkout is at 12 pm". Also, keep in mind also that his English was way below the other staff so it was hard to communicate with him. Anyway, after this I went back to my room, got ready and came down to checkout. He prints the bill, so I give him my credit card which I had used initially to make the reservation to pay and he then tells me and points me to go outside to the ATM and get Dong (Vietnam's currency) to pay for the bill. After arguing back and forth that I want to pay with my card and even proving to him that the ATM would not dispense enough cash to cover the bill (I had used the ATM a few days earlier and I knew what the max amount was), he told me the credit card machine was broken. I stood there knowing that that wasn't my problem, so after a minute or so he prints the bill again (this time in dollars) and magically the credit card machine is working again and he goes ahead and charges my card.
I was planning to stay with them after my trip to Nha Trang, but decided it was time to move on to a different hotel.
All I have to say is, this man should not be in the hospitality business at all. He did quite the opposite of what someone trained in the business should do and was intentionally disrespectful to me.
It's too bad, because everything else was great.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Esteban P
ManagerSanouvaHotel, Manager at Sanouva Saigon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear our esteemed patron,

Warmest greetings from Sanouva Saigon Hotel,

I would like to send my truly appreciation for your choosing Sanouva Saigon Hotel as your accommodation during your trip.
On behalf of Sanouva Saigon Hotel Team, I would like to express our sincere apology for the impolite front office associate’s attitude on your departure date.

I understand that being waken up during the sleep is very uncomfortable and it is unacceptable to be asked to do differently with what we promise. From this point of view, we recently seriously checked this issue and we did have punishment and some training courses for Steven. We understand, if we use rude attitude to serve our guest, we will have more bad reviews not only Tripadvisor.com but also other websites. These are not what we are expecting.
Once again, I would like to send our sincerely apology to you for what you have experienced during your stay at Sanouva Saigon Hotel. I hope that Sanouva team will have another opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us on your next trip to Ho Chi Minh City so that we can offer to you a better accommodation and service.
On behalf of our management board, I would like to offer you a complimentary airport pick up and 01 night stay for your next visit.
Kindly find the attached file for our voucher.
With best regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Liked
- the staff are friendly, helpful and always with a smile.
- the room is of good size, clean and with king size bed. Quite pleased with our room.
- bathroom is clean with rain shower, hand shower and looks good.
- breakfast was a small spread but of good choice and quality. The restaurant staff using beige shirt is very helpful.
- free wifi

Did not like
- the look of the lobby
- the look of the corridor to the rooms.
- reception wanted to keep our passports till we check out. We did not allow it. Then she asked for US$10 refundable deposit instead. I think it is a company policy. But must say they were pleasant at all times.

At the street coffeeshop:
We experienced shoe cleaning guys who are great scammers. We stupidly got involved and ended up paying US$7.00 for cleaning a pair of sports shoe. We pitied the guy who asked politely to clean my husband's shoes, we said okay then the scam began with his thuggish partner appearing from nowhere. He refused our US$2.00 and kept demanding more. We kept the US$2.00 on the table and said - take it or leave it. He refused to leave - we gave in, taking US$5.00 out - he took the US$5 and grabbed to US$2.00 on the table and scrammed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KJJ19
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Staff are great here!
Hotel is extremely clean, breakfasts are great and nothing was a problem.
Whyn was very helpful and always smiling and up for a chat.
Very central and with in walking distance to Ben Thanh market.
Cyclo's (blue bikes) be warned, con artists. Laung - tall lanky and no teeth, frequents across the road and he will rip you off.

Room Tip: Up high, nice and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 180Rae
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Staying in Sanouva hotels for 02 nights Apr.14, the hotel has central location, just 5 minutes walking to Ben Thanh market and some shopping streets.
The room is a little bit small. The Deluxe room has no view, small windows. The bathroom is large and clean. The staffs are helpful to contact the bus company for us.
One negative thing is the restaurant. It is too small and we need to wait other guests finish their meals to have a seat.
With the reasonable price and other benefits, I would stay in this hotels again for short holiday in Saigon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bao-Oanh
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at Sanouva for 3 nights at end of our tour. Good location for the market , restaurants and shops. We were prepared to pay up front equivalent to £6 for mini bar in advance as reviews had warned. The double bed was ridiculous as you could only get in one side, the other side pushed against the wall. Shower room nice, air conditioning carried on working when you left and was not dependant on the electric key card. Kettle included but not placed any where near a plug and cups had to be asked for at reception. Clean hotel, towels and bedding changed daily. Breakfast time was a joke as it was just past reception and not large enough when guests were eating early to go on a tour. A little 2 slice toaster was provided to share between everyone! Omelettes could be ordered if desired, even though this was not stated at the breakfast bar. Our flight home was not until midnight, so we asked at arrival if we could extend our room departure time. We were offered another less superior room until 6pm to swap to on the day of leaving, this cost an added £23 - not good value for money but we accepted.

Room Tip: Were on floor 7 overlooking the back and had no noise disturbence
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here as part of our tour so didn't know what to expect.
Check in was quick and easy we weren't asked to leave a deposit for anything at all however they had our passports maybe that's why?
We were on the 7th floor at the front but because you are so high up you don't hear the noise from the streets but agree you can hear toilets etc but we were only there for 3 nights and the fact it was really clean made up for it,rooms are exactly like photos which isn't always the case on hotel pics.
Breakfast was cramped space wise but food was good.
Perfect location for all you need to see.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family